Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Videos of a few runs, please critique the launches.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Videos of a few runs, please critique the launches.

Here are some vids of the last time at the track. I cant get it to hook up for the life of me. The first run was with my progressive set to 50% for .3sec. It seemed to bite pretty good so I ramped it up to 65% for .4sec. It lifted the wheels a little then started spinning a little then grabbed again. On the last run I went to 60% for .3sec. I am spraying a 150 shot, and the rest of the mods are in my sig. I also have DA strange shocks w/ a 300lb spring, and comp eng 3 way adjustables w/ stock spring. The rebound side of the fronts are set to 2, and the compression is set to 8. The rears are set to 40/60. The car is almost full weight, rear seats are out, front sway bar is out, and jack and spare tire is out. I seem to hook pretty good with very little spin when I set the progressive at 50% for .3sec. Any time I try to turn it up a little it will spin. It tried to hook on the second run but spun a little, and on the last run it spun for appox. 20ft maybe. Also I am on a 275/60/15 M/T drag radial. I am wanting a drag bar and some slicks to get it to dead hook, but it leaves strait. I also dont know what else to try for my progressive. Thanks for the help guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yupOwpqc1ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51mO_f-eupo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCBNDeLM6VM
Old 09-29-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st vid had best burnout, great launch/reaction. . .

2nd looked good, burnout took a while to get smokin. . .

3rd was jerky camera and I didn't see anything from behind the barricade.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The car looked like it unloaded the rear suspension on the first one. It was kinda hard to see. The car looked really good on that second one. It had a nice launch and looked like it hooked really good but also looked like it unloaded again... Seems like you may need some double adjustable shocks for the rear as well. My buddy has those competition engineering shocks on his Z28 as well and they squat and then unload so thats what makes me think it may be your shocks. Just my .02 I am by no means an expert, I just have experience with a similar set up. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have LCA relocation brackets? I would get them so you can adjust the instant center... Hard to see for sure, but it seems to be squatting too much and unloading the rear tires. Those shocks on rear would be the next thing I would replace - in the mean time, can you stiffen up the compression on the rears? And I would also try tightening the extension of the fronts a little and see if it doesn't do better (will depend on the track conditions) - if you watch the second video, the front pops up and hits the top of the travel quickly - that is adding to unloading the rear suspension when it comes back down... you want a nice slow rise and a nice slow fall on the front, with no bounce.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for looking at the vids. The first vid had the best 60' out of the 3. I do have relocation brackets and have them set where they are suppose to, with a slight angle. I'm thinking its just in the shocks or that I dont have a drag bar, but not sure. I was always told to have the extension side of the shocks set very loose to bring the front up faster and have the compression set real stiff so the front dont drop down and unload the rears. But I will deff change the extension setting and try that, just a turn of the ****. The rear shocks have 3 different settings, 30/70, 40/60, and 50/50. Right now they are set to 40/60. Would they do better on 50/50? Thats where most ppl that have these shocks set them, 50/50. Do you guys think its necessary for me to get a drag bar and slicks, or would my money be better spent on something else, like DA rear shocks? I dont run in any kind of class, I just like to have a good time on test-n-tune days, so I am pretty sure I am getting a slick as soon as my drag radials wear out.

Last edited by second_2_none; 09-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
7 Second Club

camera needs to be closer to the car... cant see a thing.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I was planning to go out again tonight but we had some bad weather earlier so I will just go next week and try to have the camera down on the track.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by second_2_none
Yeah I was planning to go out again tonight but we had some bad weather earlier so I will just go next week and try to have the camera down on the track.
I think Fayetteville is open tonight.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Car looked very good on the second vid.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

Coilovers on the front correct? Try raising the nose of the car half inch as well as listening to BLK02WS6. If you can clearly count the threads on both sides of the coilovers, try putting an extra round on the drivers side to preload the right rear a little more.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM
9 Second Club

If you really want to do it right, get a DA coilover setup on the rear... then you can get the car scaled properly.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I'm going to adjust the rear shocks to 50/50 to stiffen them a little, adjust the front coilovers, and maybe set the progressive to 60-65% for .5 sec as opposed to 50% for .3sec. Then probably in a week or so I will either get some DA shocks for the rear or a drag bar and possibly some slicks. My best 60' is a 1.52, my goal is a 1.45, is that obtainable?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Setting your progressor for .5 seconds is doing basically nothing... you need to ramp it in over 1 to 1.5 seconds for it to really do much good. I would set it at 50% and ramp to 100% over 1.5 seconds and see how it leaves. Then try 65%, 80%, etc... You will be surprised how the 60' will be better with a nice smooth ramp than it will be just dumping it in...

If your suspension is set up well, and the track is right, you shouldn't need to progress it at all.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Setting your progressor for .5 seconds is doing basically nothing... you need to ramp it in over 1 to 1.5 seconds for it to really do much good. I would set it at 50% and ramp to 100% over 1.5 seconds and see how it leaves. Then try 65%, 80%, etc... You will be surprised how the 60' will be better with a nice smooth ramp than it will be just dumping it in...

If your suspension is set up well, and the track is right, you shouldn't need to progress it at all.
Thanks man I will most deff try that with the progressive. I've never messed with one before and have been lost on it. I dont know what most people set them to. But not using the progressive at all is what the top goal is. I know I am going to come off stupid, but what exactly does it mean to have a car "scaled"?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:32 AM
9 Second Club

Not stupid at all - Scaling the car is when they put all four wheels on scales and find out what the weight is at each corner... then the coilover springs can be adjusted to jack the weight where it is needed to get the weight distribution right...

That is why it would be best if you converted the rear to coilovers as well, gives the most adjustability in setting the car up and getting the distribution right. There are specific coilover conversion kits for the rear of F-Bodys.

Madman and company is the best at getting these cars right, but if you are not close to them, any good chassis shop in your area that sets up drag cars should be able to get it right...
Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Not stupid at all - Scaling the car is when they put all four wheels on scales and find out what the weight is at each corner... then the coilover springs can be adjusted to jack the weight where it is needed to get the weight distribution right...

That is why it would be best if you converted the rear to coilovers as well, gives the most adjustability in setting the car up and getting the distribution right. There are specific coilover conversion kits for the rear of F-Bodys.

Madman and company is the best at getting these cars right, but if you are not close to them, any good chassis shop in your area that sets up drag cars should be able to get it right...
Oh ok. I've always heard that leaving the stock springs in the back is best for drag racing. But I can see now how the coilovers would be a whole lot better. Well I am selling some nitrous parts to a buddy in the next couple days and I had planned on purchasing a drag bar and either new drag radials or slicks. Would that money be better spent on coilovers for the rear or a drag bar? I am going to see how it does putting the shocks on a 50/50 setting as opposed to the 40/60 they are currently set at and try different settings with my progressive and see how well that works. I'll be going to the track thursday.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Try it with what you have for now and see what you can do! Post up your results... I was just trying to tell you what would be the best so you didn't buy some other shocks that weren't going to get the job done - no sense spending money 2 or 3 times... I did pretty good with stock springs and DA shocks on the rear - but I know it could have been better with a complete coilover setup... New DRs are a good idea if you need them. A drag bar will be a good addition too. Whatever your budget allows...
Old 10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Update

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I adjusted the rear shocks on thursday from 40/60 to 50/50 and it spun more then normal. So I adjusted them back to 40/60 and went to a different track today. I also stiffened up the extension side of my front shocks to see if that would be any better. I had the progressive controller set to 50% for .4seconds. Well that spun pretty bad, but I noticed a lot of people were spinning off the line. So I loosened the front shocks down to one click from full loose and set the progressive to 50% for .8 seconds and the car grew some ***** and manned up. It lifted both wheels and I could feel the right wheel come down first so I'm thinking a drag bar would help for that. But it just scratched the tires a little and it took off. Ran a new personal best. 1.49 60',6.81@100.76mph 1/8th and 10.72@125.70mph 1/4. I really wish I would have had it on video but it was a last of the minute deal.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 AM
9 Second Club

Congrats on the new best! Sounds like it is needin all the help it can get with weight transfer if you had to go that loose. There are a lot of variables with each setup and the track... keep working with it and you will find where it is best for the parts you have.