Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are subframe connectors worth it on a hard top Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Are subframe connectors worth it on a hard top Camaro?

Are subframe connectors worth it on a hard top Camaro?
Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, and on any uni-body car also
Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best thing is to realize what your ultimate goal is here when connecting the subframes... connecting the subframes.

Please be aware that most of the connectors sold by vendors here DO NOT connect the true subframes of the 4th gen f-body car. Most are connected by a bolt that holds the rear LCA to the car, and the LCA mounting point is no where near the actual rear subframe. Some models don't even connect to the front subframe, and just terminate at the floor cross brace that is behind the front subframe!

You will hear that some have installed this type of connector and felt the difference immediately... I call BS... prove it then.

To make matters worse these "connectors" most often run along side the rocker pinch weld- already the strongest point of a uni-body car. These type of extra weight additions are nothing more than a "jacking rail" that prevent damage to the rocker and I will bet on having absolutely no effect on the chassis rigidity.

MWC manufactures a weld-in only true subframe connector that is high quality, fits well, and is very affordable. Most important it does the job it is intended to and sold as- a true subframe connector.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to check the MWC's out..
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ssvert99 has a very good point on the purpose of SFCs. But my question is: are SFCs worth it for what? I suppose you mean are they worth it for drag racing?

Me personally, as my car grew faster and faster, I had everyone in shock that I never put SFCs on my car, and I got the "You are going to wrinkle your fenders" BS a lot. But here I am now with the car cutting low 1.4 sixties and a high 9 second quarter mile, and not a wrinkle to be found. I just now am finally able to put a cage in my car, and that is what I am doing as we speak.

So me personally, I think SFCs are adding weight to a drag car with not much added benefit. As you get faster to where you would might need the structural rigidity, you are going to have to put a cage in your car, which should be enough for the strength you need, if it is done right.

This is all just my personal preference. Others might disagree.

Quick Reply: Are subframe connectors worth it on a hard top Camaro?