Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a 5" tach in a panel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mounting a 5" tach in a panel?

Okay, before anyone says anything, i know most people hate 5" tachs. IDC what you think about them, i like them, do alot of roll racing, and my stock tach is worse than most peoples. I dont wanna hear ditch the tach, do this do that. Im keeping it and thats all.

Moving on...

Im relocating my head unit, and turning the opening into a gauge panel/switch panel. Im going to run the tach, 3 gauges, 3 switches and 4 LED indicators where the stock radio/hvac was. Im going to get one of 6LE radio delete panels because they are easy, he is local and ive seen them in person and they look like years better than the tin switch panel i originally made and have right now.

The little gauges have the posts and plastic cups to keep them pushing into/on a panel, but ive searched and searched and searched and cant find that for a monster tach. I know ive seen pictures of people on here with gauges mounted everywhere and if you can mount a 5" tach/speedo in a fiberglass dash and keep it in then i know you can do it with a plastic panel.

any suggestions?!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hose clamp around the back of the tach against the panel just dont tigten it crazy tight
Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I've mounted them to the right, folks sometimes clamp them to the steering wheel, or even tuck them in the far left corner of the windshield.

Pinkenstein:

Old 11-14-2010, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by spaulding
Hose clamp around the back of the tach against the panel just dont tigten it crazy tight
wow i never even thought of that

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I've mounted them to the right, folks sometimes clamp them to the steering wheel, or even tuck them in the far left corner of the windshield.
thanks John, mine is currently on the left side of the steering wheel hump, but local PD doesnt take to kindly to large tach that "obstruct view and are a large distraction cuz they are so bright" so i wanna get it out of view of local law enforcement, my car is begging for a ticket around here anyway so once less reason i can give them to pull me over the better
Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

If its so bright then just wire the light in with your dimmer switch in the car and dim it down. Thats what I did the last time I had a Tach in the car.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Its an LED tach so you cant dim them.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sure wouldnt want my tach to be down there. Thats a lot of time looking down instead of at the road/track. Especially in a stick car.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

get a memory tach that shows you the run and all you really need is the shift light blastin you in the face
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

how can you have that on your dash? i guess it is jus me i have trouble sometimes seeing outside my car at night but it could be the 5% tint on the sides and back but having a big tach in my face. or it could be cause i am only 5 foot 6 (yes ima short ****) it looks good but i would be distracted
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I sure wouldnt want my tach to be down there. Thats a lot of time looking down instead of at the road/track. Especially in a stick car.
the only looking down would be for setting up a roll, i have a 2 step and a shift light, thats all id need

Originally Posted by NHRA4MULA
get a memory tach that shows you the run and all you really need is the shift light blastin you in the face
thats the plan, well minus the memory, i dont really mind seeing exactly everything about the run, its only an 11sec car, as long as the shift light works and the 2 step works ill have a good enough idea

Originally Posted by krislem1990
how can you have that on your dash? i guess it is jus me i have trouble sometimes seeing outside my car at night but it could be the 5% tint on the sides and back but having a big tach in my face. or it could be cause i am only 5 foot 6 (yes ima short ****) it looks good but i would be distracted

Its really not that bad. I have 5% on all sides and rear too and its not as bad as youd think
Old 11-16-2010, 03:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got ya. That reminds me I need a shift light
Old 11-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

i guess it comes down to me being short haha. i guess a shift light will jus do for me cause i am pretty used to looking down at my RPMs cause it is only a split second then back at the road. so its not like it will benifit anything cause that means you have 2 rmp gauges in your car. i jus dont like adding something that i already have in it.

Quick Reply: Mounting a 5" tach in a panel?