Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D bars or Kicker bars question for cage

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default D bars or Kicker bars question for cage

I've read everything I can find so far about how to put together a cage in one of these cars. I'm going to try my best to make it NHRA legal. I ordered a rulebook.

I am still not clear on how to weld the D bars or sometimes called kicker bars to the subframe. What are they defining as the subframe? Do I actually need to cut the floorboard and tie into the subframe connectors? Where should this bar go to on the car?

Old 02-11-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe they are referring to older cars that have a "frame" or frame rails that run the length of the car. Our cars are "unibody" cars we technically don't have frail rails. You should be able to weld a plate to the floor board of the car to mount the roll bars to. We add subframe connectors to our cars to stiffen up the chassis, but the rule book is not saying you need to weld your roll cage to the sub frames.

I am by no means a NHRA chassis guru, I would ask someone like Mad Man to elaborate more on this.

Lee
Old 02-11-2004, 10:03 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Lee. Give Madman a call. Well, maybe not today because he is working on my Hot Rod today.

Coach
Old 02-11-2004, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to weld your bars to the plates. The subframe connectors are not counted as a frame, so you don't have to tie the bars into them.

Daren
Old 02-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by GIZMO
You need to weld your bars to the plates. The subframe connectors are not counted as a frame, so you don't have to tie the bars into them.

Daren
I'm pretty sure it matters where you put it. In the pic there from NHRA.com it says the D bars need to attach to the subframe and I have heard of people failing inspection b/c it was attached to the tranny tunnel with plates.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Didn't fail my inspection, got my chassis sticker for 7.50's (3 years) and the D bar is mounted to a plate on the trans tunnel. Some inspectors can be clueless when interpreting that rule and as a result there has been a history of them failing the cars when in doubt. You can contact the NHRA directly if you have any questions about it.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by DERTY
Didn't fail my inspection, got my chassis sticker for 7.50's (3 years) and the D bar is mounted to a plate on the trans tunnel. Some inspectors can be clueless when interpreting that rule and as a result there has been a history of them failing the cars when in doubt. You can contact the NHRA directly if you have any questions about it.
Okay. I'll just save those for last and call. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I nearly failed my inspection for having the D-bars welded to 6" square plates near the tunnel. Rules state that the D-bars have to be welded to a frame rail or crossmember, the guy who inspected my cage was not familiar with f-bodys and was going to fail me until I sweet talked him into passing me because there is no crossmember or frame rail in that area of the car.. A fairly easy way to conform to the rule would be to stitch weld a 2x3" crossmember under the floorpan and above the d-bars..

good luck! I've got 3 years until I have to worry about it again
Old 02-12-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that the "sub frame" that they are talking about would be the frame rails that are added to a car that is tubbed. I believe that the rule book also states that the subframe connectors do not constitute a frame. I really doubt that an NHRA or IHRA official would question this. But if you have some reservations, call the NHRA and ask them (contact info. at NHRA.com).

Daren