Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: Project UMTR/T56 race car, and Project BACK to Street Car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Build Thread: Project UMTR/T56 race car, and Project BACK to Street Car.

Well I wanted to start a build thread before I got to far along with all the little stuff. I will update with pics later tonight on the current state of both cars.

The first project is to take the car I been racing, a very Clean 2000 SS 6 speed, and turn it back into a street car like I should of left it, but money being tight I had to do what I had to, so I could have something to race. The wife wants a street cruiser back so the whole family, I have a 19 month old that is just crazy about cars, and everyone can enjoy the car on the street. So thats my plan. Here is the rundown:

-The whole goal of the car was to run in the 10's NA full weight, and run 9's on the spray. I got my goal of running 10's on the motor, but decided it would be better off to leave well enough alone, and save the motor for the street, rather than risk blowing it up.

Quick vid of said car from the Holley ls fest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRcOI6tSIfw

-The first order of business was to pull out the 9". Its a Moser stamped 9", with alum through bolt center, 4.86 gears and a alum spool gun drilled and start flanged axle's 35 spline. Not a very street friendly rear end setup with all chrome moly rod end link style susp, with a burkhart drag sway bar. Everything worked great and helped the car get a 1.46 60ft ON THE MOTOR! full weight 6 speed car. I was happy. and car has ran a best of 10.93 at 126.90 3820lb raceweight.

The rear end is currently at the chassis shop getting shortened 3" each side, axles are being sent to moser to be cut down, and 5/8" drive stud kit installed. the rear is also getting a set of 3.89 pro gears, and is waiting to be installed in the other project that I will talk about later....

The clutch was a little harsh on parts, after taking apart the gear we found every tooth on the ring gear was about 75% cracked, not broken but almost. SO i decided i'd be better off to put a more street friendly style clutch like a Centerforce dual Friction, I am taking out a centerforce DFX, but I used a ram 6 puck disc, cause I got the pressure plate from a friend, and the disc was in bad shape, ANYWAYS its getting a more street friendly clutch.

I also dont see any reason for a built trans, so I am trading the trans to a close friend for his stock trans. So car is getting a stock T56 back in it.. not the ideal choice but my buddy sure could use it in his 69 Camaro, with a 468 small block fuel injected setup, that we are putting a t56 into..

as far as the motor goes. the short block has 2 season on it, and the cylinder heads have 3 seasons on them along with some street miles somewhere in there. my guess would be roughly 5k miles on short, 7500 on heads. being as the have always shifted the car 7300+ for 3 years I am sure the manly nex tek springs have seen better days. So the motor is getting a fresh set of valve springs this week, and it will be going right back into the car. Motor I am talking about is a stock short block LY6(i took the rotating assembly out of the LY6 and put it into a GMPP lq9 block, so I wouldnt need to switch sensors etc etc) also used the l92's off the ly6, had them ported, custom valves with manley hollow stem intake and solid exhaust. GMPP l92 intake and a edelbrock elbow. Motor made 600+ on the engine dyno, and cam is pretty mild at 242/246. and is pump gas friendly and really drives well with a good tune.

For exhaust I sold off my other setup(which were just pacesetters and tsp duals) and I am going back to pacesetters and tsp y pipe, hooker catback with a e-cutout, and slp 3.5" slash cut tips(just like what was on the car when I bought it) should sound pretty good with the thumpy 6.0L

for the susp, Qa1's all around do ok on the street, but I loved the way the car used to ride with the SLP valved bilsteins. So i bought a new set from ws6store, and I am going to install those with some eibach sportlines, give it a good look. going with bmr adjustable poly ended LCA's and PHR, along with their full length tq arm and trans relocation crossmember. Might do a little auto x with the car some..

I am just took off all the nitrous stuff off. wideband out, along with the a pillar gauges, taking out the trans am seats cause I miss my stock seats, and going back to stock seat belts. also reinstalling the rear seat for the baby seat. AC is going back on the car as well....

thats where I am at today, with 2 cars in about the same shape, both with no motors, no trans, and no rears. sitting on jack stands. Like I said I will update with photo later tonight when I get home.

Now for the other project. It is a 98 V6 camaro. Car has a little History that I found out at the time of purchase. From what I am told, Steve Graybeck was building this car for himself at the time of his death. So car has a really nice cage started in it with just a few odds and ends that need fixed.

I am wanting to get the car setup to run in the LSX real street class. thats the whole goal, and here is a rundown on some of the things I already got for it.

I have a motor built, its a 418 iron block, all pro hurricane heads, solid roller, shaft rockers, super victor and 4500 TB. and is fuel injected and runs off the stock computer. I will post up some dyno vids that I took during dyno tuning, and go into more details on specs later

Here is a idle vid and a quick dyno pull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO12WaFBZVs
and a dyno pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN1fF7OxTFw

got a full built powerglide, all fresh with aftermarket internals. and a PTC nitrous converter on order.

For a rear end setup I am going with my 9" setup from the other car, shortened 3" each side, alum center, 3.89 gears and alum spool, with the 35 spline gundrilled and start flanged axle's should work just fine.

as for susp setup. I already got burkhart LCA's and PHR, along with burkhart anti sway. Like their products, so I went ahead and ordered pretty much every other part I need to get the car mostly finshed. Going with the burkhart front end kit, narrowed 1" each side, with his drop spindle's and aerospace brakes, AFCO doulble adjustables all the way around, his severe duty Tq arm, burkhart front bumper support, manual master kit, quick release steering wheel kit. Just about everything they offer but a fab 9". Chuck is awesome to work with, and is really helping me out with everything. Cant wait to go pick up the parts from him(as he says) in the next few weeks, or he said 3 weeks max.

I have done a few things to the car and I will have to update later, as lunch time is over.

Sorry for the long post, but I got a lot to talk about and I been wanting to share with you guys. so here you go. and like I said, pics later

Last edited by BES Stroked Nova; 02-11-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks RAY! lol

anyways, I am working on some pics, just got to upload them and host them.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

updated with some vids. now working on the pics still.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:34 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool Brother. looking forward to up dates.

Coach
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed, can't wait!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, I been busy uploading pics back into the org post. Sorry about it being so long, but I figure i just needed to get caught up on some of the things that been going on
Old 02-01-2011, 08:05 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice builds.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going to give a little update on things.

As much as I want to run this real street deal, I dont think I can swing the kind of money needed to have a 110% effort that I need to be competitive in the class. Just had to buy the women a car and so on.

So car is still getting done, I will just be running a Tick faceplated T56, Sof Loc clutch setup that I already have for the car. I will be running the car in the UMTR series here locally, I was points champ in the street stick series last year, and I am going to step up to their Quick Stick class for this year with the new car. With 14 races on hand, and my vacation working out to where I can make all 14 races, I am going to run that series.

anyways updates for the cars.

for my Silver SS, I got a 3.90 geared 10 bolt from a buddy. ordered BMR poly/adjustable LCA's and PHR and an adjustable full length tq arm from BMR also. Got a NEW DFX clutch on the way for it also. Motor is going in first of next week, got all my ac stuff out of the storage shed. Pretty much just need the proper u joint put back in my stock driveshaft and the car will be back together end of next week. Got the valve springs changed out in the 6.0L and its ready to be dropped in.

for the white car, I ordered a set of weld RTS's with black centers, I got the rears, just waiting on the fronts, they were on back order. Got a call from Burkhart about the chassis stuff, still got a couple weeks and I will heading out there to pick the stuff up from Chuck first hand. Thanks for the updates on the order, means a lot.

So dont mean to depress, but a mid 9 second 6 speed car, with maybe some juice, could you say maybe the next fastest f-body T56 car?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Banned

Sucks to hear but understandable. Was gonna do my 02 Formula for Real Street. After looking at the rules and what it would take to run a 76mm Turbo with some of the Vettes I hear are being built, its just not worth the $$$.

I am gonna play the Cam only game for awhile. SSPerformance set the bar pretty high at 9.8's or what ever it was. May as well have some fun this year.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a typical texas street car.... dont see anything wrong?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh@KY-Turbo
Sucks to hear but understandable. Was gonna do my 02 Formula for Real Street. After looking at the rules and what it would take to run a 76mm Turbo with some of the Vettes I hear are being built, its just not worth the $$$.

I am gonna play the Cam only game for awhile. SSPerformance set the bar pretty high at 9.8's or what ever it was. May as well have some fun this year.
yeah I was stoked about it and was already had most parts to get the car together for the class. But then it came down to, needing my own ways of filling my nitrous, having to mount all that in my trailer. The cost of the nitrous alone, then the thought of wanting to run NANO, then having to worry about filling that. I mean I could fill them at my work, but jeez how many would I need during a race? the list goes on from there.

I ran this stick shift series last year, and damn it was a blast! after talking it over with the wife, we both enjoyed every minute. So i am going to step it up with the faster class, and mostly guys with G forces and liberty's, and run it in that class.

Shooting for some 9.50's, might still try to run some LSX events in index

That cam only deal sounds like some fun too! running 9's, he sure set something to shoot for there!! Good luck with your build, going to start a thread and share with us?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Sooner or later. I am stacked at the shop. I will get around to it. Collecting parts right now.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Nice to see pics of the white V6 car, when Joey told me about I asked around and Steve Grebeck was building though I thought he was building it for another guy (Kurt Urban knows).

Anyway, keep us posted.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:36 PM
8 Second Club

do you still plan on runing real street
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Nice to see pics of the white V6 car, when Joey told me about I asked around and Steve Grebeck was building though I thought he was building it for another guy (Kurt Urban knows).

Anyway, keep us posted.
yeah its a decent little car. I hope to get started again with the project this weekend.

I should have my SS back together and out of the way, then my buddy is coming over to start on some body work while I cut some more weight out of this thing

I got my last few parts to get the SS back together, new DFX clutch, BMR tq arm, front and rear bmr sway bars.

Then friday after next I go to Burkharts and pick up a **** ton of parts for the white car. as soon as its rolling, going to the Chassis shop to get some odds and ends straightend up. The first Quick Stick race is april 23rd.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Badass build, I love me some stick shift racing.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Drove out to Burkhart's shop yesterday and picked up all my suspension packages. Got to take a little look at some of the product, and I am so happy I made the choice to go with him. Attention to detail, all hardware. everything nut, bolt, washer, sleeve, spacer etc etc included. and NOTHING on the order was missing. That takes a lot of stress off my back when it comes time to install.

Thanks Chuck Burkhart for the awesome products, it was like christmas when I got home, I just have to take a look of some of the stuff! Cant wait to start installing next week!

FOR NOW, my SS is running, but I got a leaky fuel injector o ring to work on. being its a single plane intake and elbow, its a PAIN to get the rail off in the car with everything there... waiting on some odds and ends to show up and I can get this thing out of the way!

I will update with pics later, for now time to work
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Good to see you getting the white car done bro. I will take the pg off your hands if you are not using it lol.

I'm excited to see the finished car when done. I knew I should had out bidden you on it lol. I was just ******* with yeah that day.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Great build man. Good luck

Quick Reply: Build Thread: Project UMTR/T56 race car, and Project BACK to Street Car.