Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems after removing bumper supports?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Problems after removing bumper supports?

I was going to try some weight reduction and was wondering if removing the front and rear bumper supports and brackets would cause any problems. One of my buddies removed his front bumper support and it looks like his bumper is kind of loose now. It seems to wobble up and down when the car is moving over uneven road surfaces and bumps. Also, he barely pushed into a wall when parking and cracked the bumper. I'm thinking it might not have broken had it still had the support in place to bend on instead of bending on itself.

Will I even notice a difference if racing on the street from a roll? 100lbs is worth 10 hp right? I have raced people with and without a 175 lb. passenger and it did not seem to make a difference. Could that have been driver error/other causes? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I have not had any problems. 100lbs=100lbs though. It doesn't make any power and those formulas are just made up by people who do not know how to do math. You are looking at ~40lbs for both supports. It's a worthwhile mod, but you have to realize what happens if someone rearends you or you smack a wall.

Originally Posted by SStolen
I was going to try some weight reduction and was wondering if removing the front and rear bumper supports and brackets would cause any problems. One of my buddies removed his front bumper support and it looks like his bumper is kind of loose now. It seems to wobble up and down when the car is moving over uneven road surfaces and bumps. Also, he barely pushed into a wall when parking and cracked the bumper. I'm thinking it might not have broken had it still had the support in place to bend on instead of bending on itself.

Will I even notice a difference if racing on the street from a roll? 100lbs is worth 10 hp right? I have raced people with and without a 175 lb. passenger and it did not seem to make a difference. Could that have been driver error/other causes? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's a worthwhile mod, but you have to realize what happens if someone rearends you or you smack a wall.
Well damn, when you put it that way it makes me want to add a support. lol
Old 02-19-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you know the answer and you want to keep it

i have seen some people go down the track with it removed and at the 140ish mph they were doing the wind speed was flattening out the nose
i have seen people build a wire frame for it to prevent it from doing that
thats what im planing to do.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Smokin'hawk, this is definitely not an insult because I respect your car and the work you put into it. But how come you are only running 11.8 @126 with 512rwhp!? Are you spinning down the line? I always wondered if maybe the power distribution was different with forced induction cars because s'charged and turbo cars always seem to run slower than head/cam cars with same hp. Is it a peak thing? Are all motor cars putting more down across the entire rpm range? I know a guy putting down the same 500rwhp in a 427 running mid tens in the 130's. ??

Another reason I am wondering is because I plan on doing the rest of my bolt-ons: heads, LS6 intake, ported TB, pullies in the next few months and I am hoping for 450rwhp. My friend is doing a custom turbo and talking about 600 rwhp. On top of my 450 I plan on doing nitrous which is once again- pretty much instant power. I think I will win but he is saying no way because his torque he says will probably be 650-675. Then again, N2O also adds alot of torque as well. If I am 450/410 on motor a 100 shot with my exhaust happy cam should put me at 575/550. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks. Not to mention I will be revving at 6700 vs. his 6000(? I think.).
Old 02-19-2004, 11:20 PM
8 Second Club

Watch my front bumper on this video.

http://www.turbols1.com/video/972.wmv
Old 02-20-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have seen / thought of different approaches, but I saw someone at the TR Shootout last year used a piece of lightwall tubing, bent in a U shape, across the front of the nose - as a support to keep the nose from flapperating. It tucked in to the groove across the very front innards of the urethane. I'm going to take that approach. I think it would be something like 3/4" - 1" conduit.

Hey Rick, I watched that video 3 times, and never did see the front bumper. Maybe you meant a different video?
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stolen: reason why my mph is high and Et was low was that i was running on street tires, stock rear and stock suspension - completly stock. My 60' was around a 2.0
also a full weight car. weighs about 3650 with me in it.
you can check out my site in my sig it has all the info adn my dynograph, which has a fairly flat power curve, so its not a peak thing, just havent ran it to its potential yet.

im doing suspension and rear end this year so when it comes back together things should change, hoping for mid 10's at 130's

And about the thin walled tubing, thats what i was talking about. Ron Duke had it on his 180mph car, and it held up pretty well.

and i think its the wrong vid as well cant see a front bumper.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

smokinhawk- nice video. ron duke just opened a big 40thou sq-foot shop just 5 miles from my house. bas ls1 racing. the shop isnt done yet but it's going to be bad ***. it is open for buisness and his 8-sec ls1 and other cars are allways in the show room.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:25 PM
8 Second Club

Watch it again, you're seeing the rear of the car. But if you look close you can see the front bumper bow out on both sides of the car about a foot.

Quick Reply: Problems after removing bumper supports?