i figure most people run this one
http://www.racerwholesale.com/Mercha...ttery+Cut-Offs

or this one
http://www.flaming-river.com/combo-kill.htm

or this
http://www.flaming-river.com/switches1.htm

but i saw and really like this one..
http://www.racerwholesale.com/Mercha...ttery+Cut-Offs
i really like its removable key (daily driver)

im bummed it says not nhra legal, why not? you think anyone would not allow me to run?

also i read that even a dry cell must be in a sealed container or behind firewall to be legal.. right now i have a dry cell in a bmr battry tray in the spare area.. whats the deal?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

how about at least vote for what you have?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Flaming River with the lever kit. The switch is mounted to my right rear frame rail, and the handle comes out under the RR bumper. The handle easily unscrews, and is completely inconspicuous when detached. The only drawback, is that if someone crawls up under my car, yep, they can shut off the battery. But removing it keeps my bonehead buddies from hitting my kill switch when I'm driving the car around on the street.

Works good for me. I have the SLP 2OTL exhaust, so no exhaust tips go that way...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:55 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same here. Flaming river mounted and the rod comes out of the upper right corner of the license plate area. Handle removes so you can't tell it's there. T-tops fit too.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

derty, the t-tops fit with the switch mounted like this?

(nevermind the battery box.. the position of the switch is what i'm asking)

ive been bouncing everywhere trying to find if a gell cell battery is legal without a box or firewall.... i've heard yes from two and no from 3.. i guess i'll find out at the track any final comments? the rule i read said any battery but i hear that rule has been revised to any liquid filled battery.

thanks.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:24 PM
The Bull

The answer is that any battery regardless of type needs to be enclosed in a sealed box while inside the car. This includes Optima batteries. I discussed this with BMR last year before they created their battery bracket. It's technically not legal as was explained to me. However, many people get by without a sealed container.

As far as the switch placement I had better luck moving mine up about 3" so that the rod was all the way in the upper right corner. I welded a steel plate to the rear of my car under the liner to support the switch. It looks like this:

Summit Racing makes a box that fits in the spare tire well perfectly. Looks like this:
Old 02-23-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks for the pics and response, nice and clean just the way i like it.. but if its not legal eiter way with or without that aluminum box ill just let it sit in the bmr tray till i get yelled at.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:32 PM
The Bull

It's legal with the box and debatable without the box. The cost is the same, I'd just do it right and never get bitched at. Also, make sure your alternator goes to the battery side of the switch. Notice I have two wires to one side. That guarantees that the switch will shut everything off when pushed.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:32 AM
9 Second Club

Derty, nice job on the battery and switch set-up. My n2o bottle is mounted where your battery is so I just centered mine and the bar for the chute mount gave me a good spot for the switch itself. By the way your rear-end looks really good (was at Jay's dropping my car off) those axles are bad azz

Derty is right on the money as far as the questions you posted Here is a pic of my set-up

Old 02-24-2004, 06:44 AM
The Bull

I saw a photo that Jay posted recently of his 9" setup. Noticed it had my style of backing plates on it. Should have it as soon as he gets the center sections in it. Jay's stuff is top notch for sure!!
Old 02-24-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

that aluminum box does not look sealed and i dont see anywhere that it is stated nhra/ihra legal, i only see mention of legality on the moroso blue plastic box.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:56 AM
The Bull

It's a sealed lid, not in the photo. Has a vent tube that goes outside the body. Summit doesn't list everything in the rule book, but it conforms to the rules as written.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

sweet, ill have to call bmr and see if it will fit in their bracket... or axe the bracket.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:49 PM
The Bull

You don't even need the bracket. You just need a section of 4x4 bolted to the bottom of the spare wheel well. Then throw a couple bolts through the side of the spare wheel well. I can shake the car like crazy and the battery box isn't going anywhere. I can already tell you that it will not fit on the BMR support, it's too small. The BMR support can likely fit in the box though, not sure that's going to help you though!
Old 02-24-2004, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

so basically im stuck with a $100 illegal bracket i'm kinda upset about that, had no idea bmr would sell a non legal battery relocation... i'll have to give em a call and see about returning it... im sure this situation has come up before
Old 02-24-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think the reason the key operated is not legal is because if you crash on the track the rescue people cant just walk over and disconnect it which is the whole point of having an off switch.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

the key could fall out during a wreck i guess?

Search this Thread