Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Brake Conversion ????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a bit of clarity here, the Strange master cylinder or any other master cylinder is not configured for any particular car which sets bias correctly. There is no "custom" configuration that is configured correctly for a car to setup correct line pressure and flow rate with regards to biasing.

Furthermore every car (even if you narrowed it down to just an LS1) will not need the same setup as weight distribution, brakes used, tires used suspension as well as many other criteria will change the demands of the brake system. Fluid pressure on the master cylinder is approximately equal, pressures are different between ports.

For the each car to be setup correctly is about as likely as you hitting the lottery. A proportioning valve is not necessary but if you want to take advantage of utilizing your brakes to the fullest, then I would never suggest using a kit without one.

When your brake bias is not set correctly, the car will not stop as short as it could in a controlled straight manner. The object is to have all four wheels lock around the same time during threshold situations. This does not mean stomping on the brakes....as you'll generally always lock all four wheels.

All of our kits are designed with a proportioning valve for the above reasons. If you're running a strange manual master cylinder kit like BMR or others offer, we have a specific manual master ABS delete kit that is designed to work with those master cylinders.

Steve
Mechanical Engineer
SJM
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by studderin
Cool link. I always thought you would want to lessen the brake pressure to the fronts while on skinnies. I like how they are selling a wilwood prop valve for $60
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to do this conversion on my 01 trans am soon. My question is...is everyone using the strange m/c happy? I had two of their m/c on my 8 second roadster that leaked very bad. ART replaced them with new units, same POS problems. Went to Lamb m/c and what a difference, car even stopped way easier. Just wondering if the product is any better now. Chuck

Quick Reply: Manual Brake Conversion ????