Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Narrowed Rear Rim BS Question,

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Narrowed Rear Rim BS Question,

I am just about to get my 9" narrowed, my main reason for wanting to do this is to tuck the tires a little better, I am currently running 28", and would like to be able to lower the rear a little more to get them in the fenders a little better. I see most people are taking 3" off each side and runnng 15x10's with 4"bs. Here are my calculations on where the rim and tire would sit compaired to a prostar 15x10 with 7.5 bs

Narrowed 3", 4 B.S. the rim would stick out about .5" farther than the prostar
Narrowed 3", 5 B.S the rim would tuck in about .5" more than the prostar
Narrowed 2.5", 5 B.S the rim would sit at the same location as the prostar
Narrowed 2.5", 6 B.S the rim would tuck in about 1" more than the prostar

Does this look right? or am I totally off? if I want the rims to tuck a little more I think I would want to narrow 3" with the 5" B.S, what do you think?

Thanks
Kyle
Old 03-04-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Your calculations look correct. I chose to go with 3" off each side, and I run a 15x10 with 5" bs. This is fine if you dont plan to go wider than a 15x11 ET Street. or 15x10 ET Drag.

Also keep in mind that with 3" of, you will not be able to use the P-brake anymore. Not enough room between the brake shield and the bracket, and the cable has no room to pivot. I think 2.5 would be the most to still retain that.

I do plan to go to a 4" bs rim in the future, as I want the option of running a bigger tire on the car. Will probably look better with a deeper dish on the rim.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Question, if you tuck the wheels in more what do you do about the wheel well? Maybe I just am not seeing it in my head right but I don't see how changing the BS and then narrowing the rear will tuck the wheels in more. EX: Narrow rear 1" and then change the BS from 5" to 4", you have done nothing right? Again maybe I just don't understand can you please explain it?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001SS#3013
Question, if you tuck the wheels in more what do you do about the wheel well? Maybe I just am not seeing it in my head right but I don't see how changing the BS and then narrowing the rear will tuck the wheels in more. EX: Narrow rear 1" and then change the BS from 5" to 4", you have done nothing right? Again maybe I just don't understand can you please explain it?
If you tuck the wheels in more you have to clearence the wheel wells. And to help you understand how they will tuck more here is an example. On a stock rear a 15x10 prostar is 7.5 BS, if you cut 3 inches off each side of the rear, that means you would have to change the BS 3 inches to make the wheels fit the same that they did before, if you change it 3.5 inches the wheels will tuck .5 inches, and if you only change it 2.5 inches it will stick out .5 inches more than the prostar would. Does that help explain it?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001SS#3013
You've done 2 things, lost rotating mass (from housing & axles), and you now have a better selection of rims to choose from. We all know how the selection of rims with the proper bs sucks for our cars. There are many selections with 4 & 5" bs. It is a very common size.