Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipeout

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wipeout

My car went into the wall yesterday and I don’t know why. My data log shows that I was spinning through second gear and I remember that the car felt a bit squirrely but nothing unusual or alarming – I drove through that. Third gear looks good and I am reasonably sure I had the car going straight. I lost control just after shifting into fourth. The data show one or both rears started spinning. The car jerked violently to the right and pointed me at the wall. I crossed into the others guy’s lane but fortunately I missed him. I managed to get the car more or less parallel to the wall before I hit it. The impact was impressive. I’m ok except for soreness where I slammed against the sides of my Kirkey. The puzzle is: what happened? Nothing broke in the engine or the rear. I have no reason to think I hit an oil patch or anything else. But something caused me to spin in fourth. This has not happened before – I don’t have that much power. This was a motor run. I expected 11.50 @ 120 mph. I would appreciate comments and theories.
Attached Thumbnails Wipeout-wipeout-1.jpg   Wipeout-wipeout-2.jpg   Wipeout-wipeout-4.jpg  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's nasty!!! That's a hell of a way to end the day. It's weird, it looks like your RPMs dipped a little and at the same time your wheel speed increased. You would think that when your tires broke loose, theRPM's would have hit the roof............ sorry man, hate to see it happen!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Damn, sorry to see that. glad your alright. did you hit the clutch by chance it started going sideways?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mbaker3
It's weird, it looks like your RPMs dipped a little and at the same time your wheel speed increased.
That little speed spike is normal - the tires chirp and grab and that drags the engine speed down. The problem appears a half-sec later where wheel speed and engine speed turn up together - that is not normal in fourth.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by msydow
...did you hit the clutch by chance it started going sideways?
I don't think so but I don't remember. I can't explain the little throttle-position dip either. Before I looked at the data I thought I lost control in third.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch, sorry to see that. Glad you are ok though, going that fast must have been a hell of a jolt
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are those bias plys on the rear and radials up front?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Latch
Are those bias plys on the rear and radials up front?
Yes - I've been running with this configuration for a long time. I had forgotten that this is not recommended. Good observation.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man that sucks, glad you an others is ok
Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Wow that really sucks. I'm glad to see you are ok. I've watched that car go down the track often and I hope to see you back out there
Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago when I hit 3rd gear. I'm pretty sure it was coolant on the track but I don't know for sure. Luckily I barely grazed the wall after doing some 360's down the track. Glad you're ok.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:31 AM
Internet Mechanic

I would say coolant too, unless the track has a "wet" area like LVD on the right side about past the 1/8th. Looking at the graph nothing had really changed, you did not power shift and your were far away from your next shift so I say **** on the track. The Bias-ply / Radial thing that someone asked is an non issue. I and a few others have raced a Bias / Radial combo and have been completely fine.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd guess something on the track, or you sprung a coolant leak and got it on the tires...

Sucks to see the loss.. but that's one of the risks of racing.

The tire mix/match, I doubt like hell had anything to do with it. Think about it.. every drag radial car out there has the radial on the back with a bias ply front runner.. they're all fine like that... if mixing the bias and radial tires was a problem you'd see those cars in the wall all the time, and the tire companies would have come out with a radial front runner by now.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas and comments. The coolant possibility hadn’t occurred to me either. The tire mix issue may not have caused my problems but it has made me think about the overall stability of my car, which I’m sure is (was) relatively poor. With no front sway bar and drag shocks with loose rebound, stability can’t be nearly as good as it would be if I still had normal street suspension. So once I lost it I was about as likely to recover as Linsey Lohan.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Race your car!

A substantial rear drag bar helps alot with the front suspension loose... it's not as good as it would be with the swaybar and stiffer shocks on but it's a good bit better...

Take it as a learning experience. I have my car for sale as a roller, with a little sheet metal work you could have it up and running easily.. take everything out of your car and just toss it in mine... getting the car to CA would be the only issue.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Time to take a road trip.... I'd might be up for that lol.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'd guess something on the track, or you sprung a coolant leak and got it on the tires...

Sucks to see the loss.. but that's one of the risks of racing.

The tire mix/match, I doubt like hell had anything to do with it. Think about it.. every drag radial car out there has the radial on the back with a bias ply front runner.. they're all fine like that... if mixing the bias and radial tires was a problem you'd see those cars in the wall all the time, and the tire companies would have come out with a radial front runner by now.
Thats true, but the wobbly feeling people experience with a biased ply/radial combination is when the radial is on the FRONT and the biased ply tire is out back -- just like the OP. Not to say thats what caused it, could have been junk on the track...but it may not have helped the situation.

Sucks about your bad luck, glad it wasn't worse than it was
Old 10-15-2011, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
A substantial rear drag bar helps alot with the front suspension loose... it's not as good as it would be with the swaybar and stiffer shocks on but it's a good bit better...

Take it as a learning experience. I have my car for sale as a roller, with a little sheet metal work you could have it up and running easily.. take everything out of your car and just toss it in mine... getting the car to CA would be the only issue.
What, you are selling your car..... You got something up your sleeve
I love your car, wish I had the cash...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Race your car!

Everything is for sale.

I have found something that's done... and is the right $ for it. It's nothing special, just runs 4.8x to the 1/8th...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gary Z
So once I lost it I was about as likely to recover as Linsey Lohan.
LOL, ..............yep..........not a chance in hell of recovering!