Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of the powertrax locker rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Review of the powertrax locker rear

Well, I made a post a while ago about it.

www.powertrax.com

I needed a 3 series carrier w/ an open differential.

The powertrax unit came to $407 from summit racing.

I've already put about 200 miles on it and a couple passes at the track.

Yes, I can definately hear it unlock and lock. But, my car only has 1 sparco evo seat, no sound deadening, and light weight carpet so w/ a full interior car it might not be heard.

It is not annoying loud, but I can hear it.

Now, around town driving, first thing I noticed is before I want to floor it I have to make sure it is locked. If not, it spins one tire then a loud bang is heard and the other tire locks. I made that mistake twice.

How to lock it: As I roll up to a light I just make sure the car is completely straight and I wack the gas pedal a bit. When it is unlocked the car will want to twist. When it locks, you know because the car just wants to go straight.

Cruising around town: it kinda sucks when going around a turn because it is unlocked and if you hit the gas a bit, one wheel spins. It is a bit annoying, but I'll deal with it.

Track results: I just roll up and make sure I am stright before the water box, roll through and tap the gas. I hit the line locks and let loose. Both tires spin equally. I also make sure the rear is locked by tapping the throttle before staging. I also did a TQ arm at the same time. The car launches nice, even and stright.

I have yet to spray w/ it, but N/A 1.88 w/ 3:23's and on;y 170 RWHP isn't half bad.

If anyone has questions ask away.

Oh, and I went up to our local street racing the night I got it installed. MANY people could hear it unlocking and locking.

Well, I'm happy
Old 03-16-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a powertrax in my 9" Ford. It was the biggest POS ever. I wouldn't run one of those again if you paid me. I was running a T56 tranny. Sometimes when you were really into the throttle it would "let go" during the shift. So as soon as you hit your next gear and got back into the throttle the motor would rev to the sky before you knew what was going on. It sounded like my car was falling apart when I would make sharp turns. "CLAK CLAK CLAK BANG". And don't even get me started on how it acted while backing out of a parking spot. Did I mention how much I hated it?

Quick Reply: Review of the powertrax locker rear