Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to do a burnout ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to do a burnout ???

i have a camaro ss m6 and i was wondering how to do the best burnout on bf goodrich drag radial tires. i have heard many different ways, but i would like to hear from people who have done it time and time and have never had their car shut off on them. i am going to the track in two weeks and i want to make sure i know how to do it without a problem. please, let me know how you guys are doing it. i heard to do it in first gear, others tell me in second gear. i dont know, i am confused and i would really like your help. thanks alot
Old 03-21-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

- Drive around the water, then back into it.
- Put the tranny in first, and quickly spin the tires just a bit while in the water
- Pull forward to just out of the water
- Put the tranny in 2nd, rev the motor to 4000-ish rpm
- Dump the clutch and immediately stab the brake
- Use the accelerator to keep the revs up
- BFGs like a nice smokey burnout, just like a slick
- When done, release the brake, stab the clutch and get off the throttle

You can do all of this in 1st gear, but you won't get enough tire speed to get the tires hot. You can also do it in 3rd, but its harder on the clutch and makes it much easier to stall the car.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
i have a camaro ss m6 and i was wondering how to do the best burnout on bf goodrich drag radial tires. i have heard many different ways, but i would like to hear from people who have done it time and time and have never had their car shut off on them. i am going to the track in two weeks and i want to make sure i know how to do it without a problem. please, let me know how you guys are doing it. i heard to do it in first gear, others tell me in second gear. i dont know, i am confused and i would really like your help. thanks alot

Hey, you can also practice heel and toe..
With heel on brake, toe the accelerator for gas, use left foot for clutch. You won't have that hard jolt of a lunge when dropping the clutch to powerbrake- it's a rather smooth process.

Either way, practice before you get there.

Do I know your white SS? Do you ever go to SFFBA meetings?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

i kept getting sideways so I said screw it and just got a line lock... make sure you turn off TCS before you start or you'll end up with a one way ticket to stall city.

j5
Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yeap, what these guys said...Also make sure you heat the tires up good if you spin them in the waterbox. You dont want to get to the line with water on your tires because your burnout wasnt that great. To keep from getting sideways during the burnout you have to find the sweet spot in the track. For the tracks I have been to this is usually about one foot right outside the box, just make sure you dont do the burnout in the water box. If you dont like the burnout you do the first time, back up and do it again. I always used to tell my buddy that raced that this was his time to shine...so take your time and enjoy it.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:15 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Yeap, what these guys said...Also make sure you heat the tires up good if you spin them in the waterbox. You dont want to get to the line with water on your tires because your burnout wasnt that great. To keep from getting sideways during the burnout you have to find the sweet spot in the track. For the tracks I have been to this is usually about one foot right outside the box, just make sure you dont do the burnout in the water box. If you dont like the burnout you do the first time, back up and do it again. I always used to tell my buddy that raced that this was his time to shine...so take your time and enjoy it.

Test & Tune with hundreds of cars in line waiting for ya, and the officials get rather impatient with the long burnouts.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
- Drive around the water, then back into it.
- Put the tranny in first, and quickly spin the tires just a bit while in the water
- Pull forward to just out of the water
- Put the tranny in 2nd, rev the motor to 4000-ish rpm
- Dump the clutch and immediately stab the brake
- Use the accelerator to keep the revs up
- BFGs like a nice smokey burnout, just like a slick
- When done, release the brake, stab the clutch and get off the throttle

You can do all of this in 1st gear, but you won't get enough tire speed to get the tires hot. You can also do it in 3rd, but its harder on the clutch and makes it much easier to stall the car.
The above is a great way to do it without a linelock. With a 6-speed Hot Rod I would call Thunder Racing and get a line-lock and do your burnout in 2 gear.

Coach
Old 03-23-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

What's a line-lock?
Old 03-23-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

CLICK HERE

Of course, that was overkill for the track.

Drive around waterbox, back up to edge of it, pop clutch and take left foot and stand on brake. And turn ASR off.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

I would deffinatly get a line lock for a 2nd gear burn out. The Dump Clutch-Stab break technique works ok for 1st gear, but 2nd gear the car will bog down unless i'm deap in the water box, defeating the purpose.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

I've always foot-braked 2nd gear burnouts (my Mustangs and my 99 T/A). A line lock is certainly easier - and better - but its not hard to do without one.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Around the water,back in to the middle of the water with your back tires,pull foward
to the edge of the water.

Bring the rpm's up to about 3-3500
second gear, dump the clutch,DON'T mash the brake,just enough to hold it or you will put
too much heat in the clutch,bring the RPM's up to 500 below your limiter for about 4-5 seconds.
Let your foot off the brake,when it starts to grab,push the clutch in.

stage and race
Old 03-24-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Test & Tune with hundreds of cars in line waiting for ya, and the officials get rather impatient with the long burnouts.

Yeah, I can definitely understand that...my track was usually busy...but they catered more to faster cars. If a guy got up there and didnt have a clue what he was doing they were quick to get impatient, but they never gave us any grief. This car ran 6.9xx 1/8 mile times driving off the street, so I assume they gave us benefit of the doubt that sometimes this car needed a little more time to get it right and keep the car from launching sideways. I also helped line up a few other guys, so I was a familiar face. I guess it just depends on track officials.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used to be able to do the 2nd gear release and stab on my stock rims and tires. But now I have 17x11 with 315 Comp T/A's, and I just cant get em spin. I bog down and either start going forward and stall. Any help on this? Line lock I know but without one, what can I do?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Dump the clutch from a higher rpm.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

make sure you're in the water.