Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transbrake??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transbrake??

Hey guys I tried to post this in the tranny section but got zippy responses so I figured you guys would have more experience anyway.

When using a transbrake how long can you "sit on the brake"?

Also how often do you need to change tranny fluid when you us a transbrake?

Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 03-26-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Hey guys I tried to post this in the tranny section but got zippy responses so I figured you guys would have more experience anyway.

When using a transbrake how long can you "sit on the brake"?

Also how often do you need to change tranny fluid when you us a transbrake?

Thanks guys.

Mike
Hi Mike..

Are you talking about just holding the brake button at idle or holding the brake and flashing the converter?

The key to using the transbrake for both consistancy and to save wear on your transmission is to wait until the last possible second to flash the converter (go wide open throttle). When you pull up and stage your 2 bulbs go ahead and hit/hold the transbrake button. This will engage both 1st gear and reverse at the same time and will keep your car from moving at idle. Since you are just idling you can hold the transbrake for a while and no heat major heat will build up.

The thing that really kills automatic transmissions is heat and the transbrake generates alot of tranny heat very fast when you are holding the brake at wide open throttle. The hotter the transmission gets the less consistant the transmission may become.

When at the track you will want to stage and hold the transbrake at idle. Wait for the other racer to fully stage and get ready. When you see your first bulb coming down the tree, floor the gas (wide open throttle), then when your ready to launch off that last (3rd bulb) let go of the button and hang on.

If you don't have a trans temp guage I would strongly recommend you get one.

I change my tranny fluid in my TH400 about evey 3 months or every 10 races. Some people change the fluid yearly. I am very particular about keeping fresh fluids in the car since all I do is race my car. And it takes about 10 minutes to change the fluid if you have a drain plug in your tranny pan.

Good luck!
Lee
Old 03-26-2004, 09:07 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talk to them Lee. Well put.

Coach
Old 03-26-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Lee thanks a TON. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Now I just need to find an aftermarket pan cover for a 200-4r with a drain plug since I would rather not tap the original and chance a leak or crack.

I was thinking about a temp sensor toois it best before or after the trans cooler? i am assuming before.

One last question, I have a transbrake specific button that supposedly has a faster release time and is a very precise feeling engagement. Is that a whole lot better to have than just a regular old pushbutton switch, or is there no real difference?

Again thanks a ton Lee.

Mike
Old 03-26-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Lee thanks a TON. That is exactly the information I was looking for. Now I just need to find an aftermarket pan cover for a 200-4r with a drain plug since I would rather not tap the original and chance a leak or crack.

I was thinking about a temp sensor toois it best before or after the trans cooler? i am assuming before.

One last question, I have a transbrake specific button that supposedly has a faster release time and is a very precise feeling engagement. Is that a whole lot better to have than just a regular old pushbutton switch, or is there no real difference?

Again thanks a ton Lee.

Mike
Well the button is a personal preference thing. Those quick release buttons like the Dedenbear buttons, are usually used by guys running Pro Tree or using Delay boxes. They need to react off that first bulb to cut a good light. If you are bottom bulb racing any button will work IMO. It really comes down to getting a feel for your car and how quick it will launch when you let go. Then you just need some practice to get in sync with your car.

For the transtemp you will want to know the temp of the fluid that inside the transmission. Look around on the 200R4 there might be a bolt/plug that can be removed and a temp sensor screwed right in. I'm not too familiar with the 200R4 as I am with the TH350/400's. But if you are going to put a sensor in the cooler lines you want to know the temp of the fluid as its coming out of the transmission.

Lee
Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks again Lee.

Damn I just realized I also need to wire my nitrous through the transbrake button too. Would it be ok to go through the arming switch or should I interupt the solenoid wiring?? I think the arming switch would be ok it may just cause a very slight delay and it will be MCUH easier to wire.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

You using arming switch and then WOT switch to activate?
Old 03-26-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes and alao a window switch.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:28 PM
8 Second Club

It's nice to have the nitrous arm when you let of the transbrake. The nitrous will hit before the car leaves. Talk about 60' then