Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie help someone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie help someone?

Hay all, I'm new to the forums and just bought my first decent car, a 99 Z28 Convertible. I was planning on taking it up to the track if the weather stays nice around here and was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to get better numbers at the track. It's a 99 Z, auto with traction control. I've been having a blast kickin' people up and down the streets, but I wanted to see what it would do in the 1/4. So if anybody out there has any tips or advice or special prep, or anything like that it would help me out a huge deal. I've never actually been to the track, since I've never had a car worth running, and I don't want to look like a moron. So if anyone could even walk me through the whole "track experience" of the whole burnout, staging, etc. Also, I was planning on doing a ton of mods to this thing, I've already got over 650hp on paper, all motor, now I'm just buying parts a little at a time, and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on slicks and rims that would fit on a pretty much stock rearend since I really don't want to be chopping into my inner fenders or anything, and I was hopin to be able to keep the suspension fairly stock as well. And one more thing, if anyone has had their stock LS1 dyno-ed I would love to actually find out how much hp is coming out at the wheels, and what a stock auto LS1 F-Body actually does in the 1/4, I've tried reading up online, but everyone keeps giving drastically different figures. Well, thank you all and I'm sure you'll hear from in the future.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your on stock tires, drive around the waterbox, and DO NOT do a burnout. Just spin the tires to clean them off. Turn off your TCS. Pull up to the line, hold the brake and the gas watch the yellow lights. When the third yellow light comes on, realease the gas and plant your foot to the ground.
If you spin the first time, then try not to floor it all at once. Traction is a balancing act for cars on stock tires and suspensions.

First mods you should get. Drag radials, a good stall converter and gears. After that your going into the big money part of modding. Work on traction/suspension first, then worry about horsepower. Don't waste your money on unproven parts, or what I call voodoo horsepower adders. Ask around before you lay any cash out for a part. If you do your homework, you can have a fast car and not blow alot of cash doing it.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:37 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
If your on stock tires, drive around the waterbox, and DO NOT do a burnout. Just spin the tires to clean them off. Turn off your TCS. Pull up to the line, hold the brake and the gas watch the yellow lights. When the third yellow light comes on, realease the gas and plant your foot to the ground.
If you spin the first time, then try not to floor it all at once. Traction is a balancing act for cars on stock tires and suspensions.

First mods you should get. Drag radials, a good stall converter and gears. After that your going into the big money part of modding. Work on traction/suspension first, then worry about horsepower. Don't waste your money on unproven parts, or what I call voodoo horsepower adders. Ask around before you lay any cash out for a part. If you do your homework, you can have a fast car and not blow alot of cash doing it.

Very nicely said!

Coach
Old 03-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Thanx guys, I really appreciate it. I'll let ya all know how the track werks out.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Is a torque converter the same as a stall converter? And are there any companies you guys would recommend? i was looking at SLP i know they did the SS and Firehawks, so i figured they'd be a reliable company, i already have their cai, smooth lid and smooth bellows installed and a quad-tip loud mouth cat-back being delivered right now. just wondering if they were a good company, what you would / wouldn't recommend getting from them and what companies you do recommend. Thanks again guys, this is helpin me out a hell of a lot.