Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

El Torro cam....leaving ET on the table?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default El Torro cam....leaving ET on the table?

My car has.......
El Torro Cam (230/230 .612/.592 111+4)
TEA stage 2 243 heads milled to 61cc's
Fast 92
NW ported 92 TB
ARH headers
Ram air(may be chris1313)
UD pulleys and all the little stuff
Built 4L60E and Yank 4k stall
3.73 gears in a 12 bolt
full weight

Car made 432/39x to the wheels through the cutout
went 11.13@121mph with a 1.59 60' and a little wheel spin

So my question is should I be looking for a better cam for the track? 1/4 mile times are more of my concern than street manners. Don't really wanna push past 6800-6900 since its a stock bottom end........Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Pretty good time for that hp and weight, I don't roam the Dyno section much but I would of figured H/C/I car would of put down more then that.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pretty solid time IMO, especially being full weight.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not blame the cam as Chrs1313 put down 422 hp with just the cam.I would look into making a custom y pipe to pick up some power. Chris had one made for his car and it picked up a bunch of TQ,like 30 or a little bit more. Look up his old threads from a year or so ago,he detailed his improvements.Your car full weight needs the TQ.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
I would not blame the cam as Chrs1313 put down 422 hp with just the cam.I would look into making a custom y pipe to pick up some power. Chris had one made for his car and it picked up a bunch of TQ,like 30 or a little bit more. Look up his old threads from a year or so ago,he detailed his improvements.Your car full weight needs the TQ.
Chris's car is a freak lol........I've just been wondering if the cam is holding the heads back a little
Do you think it would be worth the gain over the ARH Y-pipe? I think it'll get true duals dumped before the axle before I'd build a Y-pipe
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would hang some 3 or 3.5 inch pipe off the collectors into a set of small mufflers and dump that under the car, don't even bother with the true dual x or any of that.. go big enough with the exhaust tubing and it will run very much like there's nothing there at all.

Would it pick something up? Easy way to tell would be to drop the exhaust off and just run it open headers on a dyno, and see what it does.

Getting weight out of the car would make more of a difference then putting a different cam in it IMO. That weight is hurting it more then the cam is. Even if you stuck a trex or the like in it (if it will even clear with the milled heads) you may only pick up top end power and lose some down low... heavy car won't like that much.

Another thing that could be done to help, would be to get rid of the wheel spin by going to a taller/bigger tire, and change the rear gear to a 4.30... effectively getting you to a 4.10 with the same size you are running now. You should still be able to make it thru the traps with your rpm limit, and that added ratio will help a heavy car alot too.

That yank converter can be improved upon as well. An 8 inch converter that stalls around 4800 to 5000 would likely run alot better as well... won't be all that great to drive but it will run better. Ditching the 4ljunkie and putting a TH400 in the car would also help. That, will really hurt the street manners, but the track performance it will do wonders for.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I would hang some 3 or 3.5 inch pipe off the collectors into a set of small mufflers and dump that under the car, don't even bother with the true dual x or any of that.. go big enough with the exhaust tubing and it will run very much like there's nothing there at all.

Would it pick something up? Easy way to tell would be to drop the exhaust off and just run it open headers on a dyno, and see what it does.

Getting weight out of the car would make more of a difference then putting a different cam in it IMO. That weight is hurting it more then the cam is. Even if you stuck a trex or the like in it (if it will even clear with the milled heads) you may only pick up top end power and lose some down low... heavy car won't like that much.

Another thing that could be done to help, would be to get rid of the wheel spin by going to a taller/bigger tire, and change the rear gear to a 4.30... effectively getting you to a 4.10 with the same size you are running now. You should still be able to make it thru the traps with your rpm limit, and that added ratio will help a heavy car alot too.

That yank converter can be improved upon as well. An 8 inch converter that stalls around 4800 to 5000 would likely run alot better as well... won't be all that great to drive but it will run better. Ditching the 4ljunkie and putting a TH400 in the car would also help. That, will really hurt the street manners, but the track performance it will do wonders for.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.......I do plan to run a bigger tire, it currently has a 25.6" tall Hoosier 275 DR. I'm thinking of going to a 27" w/4.10's or maybe even a 28" with 4.33s.
For now I'm sticking with the 60E trans, at least until it pukes.....What converter would you recommend? Would it help to have it re-stalled or just give up on it and go with something else? A higher stall than it has now wouldn't bother me on the street.
As far as weight reduction....I have a few ideas like ABS delete, rear seat delete. and swapping the stock hood for a fiberglass hood but that will all be offset with the 6-point cage that must go in this winter. At this point I don't really want to drop anything else.........Thanks again, Mike
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I would call Greg @ FTI and see if he can restall that converter you have. If you have dyno results from what you have, and can give him all the spec's on the car I'm 100% that he can either restall the one you have, or build you one that will work better. Best would be to call him and talk to him. I have yet to talk to a single person that has dealt with him and not had good things to say and good to excellent results.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

A lot of people out there should be writting that down....
Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

OP is that Tim's old car?
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
OP is that Tim's old car?
Yes sir it is
Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thats a good running car. Get another converter-cam is fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Your car beeing FULL WEIGHT is the problem!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I did not see the actual weight. Did I miss it?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say that is a pretty good pass. I dont see why people hate on yanks converter so much. For a 4l60e I think they are hard to beat. What is a better converter for a 4l60e other than a ss4000?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO those are great times being that the car is an auto and full weight. Definitely making power.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I did not see the actual weight. Did I miss it?
I put it on a set of scales and it was 3460lb with Racestars and no driver.....Not sure how accurate they are but the only thing removed from the car is the A/C
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by adamantium
IMO those are great times being that the car is an auto and full weight. Definitely making power.
There is more in it, that night the track was cold and poorly prepped so it did spin a bit off the line but not much. That was the last track day so now I gotta wait til march

Everyone is saying to stick with the cam so I'm gonna, just wondered if there was anything out there to look into

The weight I plan to take out of the car will be replaced with the cage that has to go in this winter

I think I'll be focusing mostly on the converter, gears, and tires for the winter
Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by deerslayinrednek
There is more in it, that night the track was cold and poorly prepped so it did spin a bit off the line but not much. That was the last track day so now I gotta wait til march

Everyone is saying to stick with the cam so I'm gonna, just wondered if there was anything out there to look into

The weight I plan to take out of the car will be replaced with the cage that has to go in this winter

I think I'll be focusing mostly on the converter, gears, and tires for the winter
Your 60s arent that impressive. What torque arm is on this car and where are all the suspension settings set to? I would have more gear in the car also imo.

Last edited by JPH; 12-02-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO that cam is designed the run like a reverse split, which means the better your exhaust the better it will run.

If you are still running a shitty y pipe, you have power on the table there as previously pointed out. I had 3" duals on my car when it was cammed with a 230/224 reverse split and it still picked up small amounts with open cutouts. When it was 3" duals from collectors to mufflers but 2.25" tails over the axle, it picked up .15 and 1.5mph consistent with the cutouts open. Cutting off the small tails at the muffler picked the car up. Exhaust flow is your friend.

Not that 430rwhp through an automatic is low to start with. If the converter was locked, that would be near 450rwhp in a manual trans car (it would be more if it was dynoed unlocked).

Quick Reply: El Torro cam....leaving ET on the table?