Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race brakes on the street? (Strange preferably)

Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Race brakes on the street? (Strange preferably)

What is are some people thoughts on using strange race brakes on the street? My car is becoming more of a race car and it needs new pads and rotors. So I was thinking about just getting some race brakes all the way around to save some weight.

The only issue is i do a fair amount of street driving on the weekends. I probably put on like 3000 miles a summer on my car. I take it out on nice days, and drive it almost every weekend I can.

Anyone have experience with race brakes on the street, and whats your input?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transam69230
What is are some people thoughts on using strange race brakes on the street? My car is becoming more of a race car and it needs new pads and rotors. So I was thinking about just getting some race brakes all the way around to save some weight.

The only issue is i do a fair amount of street driving on the weekends. I probably put on like 3000 miles a summer on my car. I take it out on nice days, and drive it almost every weekend I can.

Anyone have experience with race brakes on the street, and whats your input?
My strange rear drag brakes last about 600-1000 miles.... definately not a long time... Thats with the steel backing touching the rotor.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have more then that, but i dont think much over 2K. the rears I havnt looked at. never had them back off since insalling them
fronts off a fewtimes and dosnt have any wear really, still over 1/4" of pad meat. I still have the power booster, and they stop fine. if anything too touchy with heat in them. Ive read some guys noticed that and going to manual assist they kiled it bettter. In stop, and go traffic in 35-45 mph driving when they get warm the might get a little too grippy if anythbg you notice for street driving them. I'm under 3100 most of the time too BTW.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Strange brakes on the front. The only downside I notice is they do fade after a hard stop. I also still have the power booster and with the steel lines the pedal feels awesome. One other thing I noticed is you can hear them working when you stop kinda hard.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

I've been thinking about doing this myself. My car gets roughly 1500-2000 miles a year on it, at best. It's 3176 with me in it. I'd love to drop some serious unsprung weight off the nose with spindles/brakes
Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much weight would you lose going to a race setup on all 4 corners with the spindles and all that?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
9 Second Club

Ran them for years-leave plenty of room to stop.
Upside is by the time you consider lighweight brakes the car itself is usually pretty light to begin with because of the mods we make so they are easier to stop.
If it's a heavy car, like a big horse turbo car with AC and stuff I wouldn't do it.
I think anything over 3300-3400ish lbs with you/pass etc in it is asking for trouble IMO.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like if your going to potato-chip the race car out and remove every item you can and add some light weight $$$ items and not driving like a maniac it can work.

Just like driving with skinnies all the time, and a drag bar in the back you just need to learn to drive the car different.

Personally thats a little hardcore for me but if your looking that savings on the street and your not spending extra money for replacement parts after every X,XXX miles then seems to be worth it.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Angry

Originally Posted by djfury05
How much weight would you lose going to a race setup on all 4 corners with the spindles and all that?
If you're planning on ALWAYS running a skinny tire/wheel upfront, you could go with any one of the numerous sponsors fabricated spindles (wolf, racecraft, mwc, etc)
These spindles all use a 3rd gen style brake setup that has the more traditional inner/out race and tapered roller bearings that you have to adjust preload on.
The spindle AND brake setup is roughly $100 more than a bolt-on 4th gen brake setup alone, and you stand to lose another 25-30lbs with the spindles themselves, plus the weight loss of the drag brakes over stock.

Less rolling resistance, less rotational mass, and even less unsprung weight with spindles. It's a win/win situation, until you go to put a stock wheel back on up front.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted up the real weights of drag 4th gen front kits, and drag 3rd gen kits. And stock spindles, cut for 4th gen brakes, and the diffrent 4th gen spindles that use 3rd gen kits. Ive had a few diffrent setups, and weight them all myself. I need to update the burkhart ones I had that ovaled out, I trimmed back and had to re weld them up. There a little lighter now. And its more then $100 more to get a spindle/3rd gen brake setup. More like $300-$400
Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must disclaim that these brakes in conversation are for race use only. I personally have run Strange brakes on the street, and there are a few locals that have them on their cars as well. I ran them for a few seasons on my own car with no issues and of the ones I know of around here they have never replaced their pads or rotors. It will depend on how you drive your car and in what conditions. Definitely not something i would put in a constant stop-n-go traffic situation.

MWC is a direct dealer for Strange brakes and has the best prices with the experience to back it all up. Give us a call for more info!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest thing I've seen from using race brakes (non-vented rotors) on the street is the heat. Anything over 30-40 miles at a time or increased stop/go driving can warp rotors very fast.

Derek
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I must disclaim that these brakes in conversation are for race use only. I personally have run Strange brakes on the street, and there are a few locals that have them on their cars as well. I ran them for a few seasons on my own car with no issues and of the ones I know of around here they have never replaced their pads or rotors. It will depend on how you drive your car and in what conditions. Definitely not something i would put in a constant stop-n-go traffic situation.

MWC is a direct dealer for Strange brakes and has the best prices with the experience to back it all up. Give us a call for more info!
I can't wait till next year for parts, otherwise I would give you a call. Already played that game with you guys once.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fix your dam motor before you waste money on something else. You wont spend money to get you motor running right but you waste money on other stuff makes no sense at all!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
Fix your dam motor before you waste money on something else. You wont spend money to get you motor running right but you waste money on other stuff makes no sense at all!
Hahahaha....... here we go again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race brakes on the street? (Strange preferably)