Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go threw the water box or not?

Old 04-21-2004, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go threw the water box or not?

I have the Nitto Dr's and have heard different opinions on these tires. I was wondering what was best to do go threw the burnout water box or not.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definaly go through the water box with the back tires. go around if you can and back into it. spinum over and pull up a few feet and let the cloud roll.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, you can just roll through it but, it would be a little better to back in, spin, pull up then burnout.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

What's the difference if you go threw the water box and not?
Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Motorboater

you will get water on your front tires and drag it up to the starting line with you. a good track will now allow you to do so unless you are on at the very least 3.5 or 4" wide skinnies but usually need a front runner(non radial) as well.

do your burnout on nittos eitehr right at the edge of the box or get em wet and do it out of the box..out will be hard on your posi so i suggest right at the edge of hte box..you can't be all the way in the box like when on a slick because a DR is still a radial and will toss a bunch of water up into your fender wells..the water will then drip back down onto your tires and you'll spin when you launch
Old 04-21-2004, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,088 Likes on 716 Posts

I would back in, do a quick spin, pull to the edge and then do the burnout it's easier on your posi.

And... through ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thr)
prep.

1. In one side and out the opposite or another side of: went through the tunnel.
2. Among or between; in the midst of: a walk through the flowers.
3. By way of: climbed in through the window.
1. By the means or agency of: bought the antique vase through a dealer.
2. Into and out of the handling, care, processing, modification, or consideration of: Her application went through our office. Run the figures through the computer.
5. Here and there in; around: a tour through France.
6. From the beginning to the end of: stayed up through the night.
7. At or to the end of; done or finished with, especially successfully: We are through the initial testing period.
8. Up to and including: a play that runs through December; a volume that covers A through D.
9. Past and without stopping for: drove through a red light.
10. Because of; on account of: She succeeded through hard work. He declined the honor through modesty.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 04-21-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Location: From the Bowels of Hell!!! You want some of me bitch?!?!?!

Why is it people INSIST on pulling into the water and spinning the tires over a few times. Someone mentioned NOT to do your burnout in the water because you will throw water in your fender wells and it will drip back on your tires. Spinning your tires over a few times before your burnout HAS THE SAME EFFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back into the box and out the other side a foot or 2. Pull up like 10 feet ahead of the box and start your burnout with your foot almost to the floor. Bring it to ~5000rpm and shift into 2nd(For autos. Manuals can dump it in 2nd). Depending on your tires hold it for ~5seconds. This will vary per car and per tire. Auto cars, it is not good to let off the gas in the middle of a burnout. Roll out of your burnout. Bad on the convertor. Same for stick cars. DO NOT do a dry hop. Your tires are at their hottest after the burnout. Go to the line. Also try to line up in the line of the car that just left. It will be the warmest patch of the track then. HOPEFULLY it was a slick tired car.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tim98TA
Why is it people INSIST on pulling into the water and spinning the tires over a few times. Someone mentioned NOT to do your burnout in the water because you will throw water in your fender wells and it will drip back on your tires. Spinning your tires over a few times before your burnout HAS THE SAME EFFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back into the box and out the other side a foot or 2. Pull up like 10 feet ahead of the box and start your burnout with your foot almost to the floor. Bring it to ~5000rpm and shift into 2nd(For autos. Manuals can dump it in 2nd). Depending on your tires hold it for ~5seconds. This will vary per car and per tire. Auto cars, it is not good to let off the gas in the middle of a burnout. Roll out of your burnout. Bad on the convertor. Same for stick cars. DO NOT do a dry hop. Your tires are at their hottest after the burnout. Go to the line. Also try to line up in the line of the car that just left. It will be the warmest patch of the track then. HOPEFULLY it was a slick tired car.
I couldnt agree more. Spinning through the water box at all can leave water on your tires...even full slicks. All you need the water for is to allow the tires to spin easily from the start, and once they start spinning you dont want any more water...so in reality you only want enough water to get them to spin over easier. Spinning through the box is overkill imo and in many circumstances will cause you to spin off the light or leave water on the ground for those that follow behind you.

Search this Thread