Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bogart, Centerline, or Weld?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Bogart, Centerline, or Weld?

I have a set of Centerline convo Pro front skinnies now. I am using stock Z28 wheels with 10.5 ET streets out back. I want to go to a 15" wheel in the back with the MT ET Drag and can't decide on what to do.

As I see it the options are:

1. Full set of Bogarts and new tires. But Jeg's web site specs an 8.5" wheel for this tire. Will the 9.75" Bogart be too wide? Also this is a very pricey option.

2. Get a set of Weld wheels and spacers. I already have longer ARP studs in the back. What size and offset will work, what spacer is needed, and is the grinding really as bad as all of the posts I have seen in the search?

3. Get Centerline Warrior wheels. From what I have seen in the search these will fit OK. I can not determine if spacers or grinding is involved. May be a good route but not sure.

4. Just get 2 15X8.5 Convo Pros and tires and call it a day. These should fit but I have heard that they may stick out a little. Also the wife does not like the Bling factor of these wheels, but it ain't her car.

K after all of that, I am open to opinion and suggestion.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bogarts bar none. the finish and fit are worth it. i have prostars, wish i could hav waited.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Bogarts
Old 04-30-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my Bogart D10's. They fit perfect, and I think they look great.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:28 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bogart makes some nice wheels. No personal experience with them though.

Depending on the Weld wheel that you are looking for you can get them in a variety of sizes. A 15x10 on a 7" backspacing fits really good. You can get these in the Aluma Stars. Aluma Stars do not fit with factory breaks or grinding! In the other Pro Star sizes I believe you can get these in a 7.5" backspacing and run them with a small spacer and it will fit over factory brakes with a little grinding.

Warrior wheels require more caliper work then a Convo Pro but the sizes are identical. A 8.5" wide Convo does fit but it sticks out a tad more then the 7.5 does. It's not really ideal and makes the back end of the car look fat and dorky instead of tucked. I had 8.5's on mine previously. You'll find the Warriors are exactly the same.

Short of narrowing your axles to get them to tuck nicer there are really only a couple options that would allow you to put a bigger tire and rim in there. You just have to go with what you like though.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:43 PM
I ruin the end of films...

The 9.75 Bogarts fit like a champ. No grinding on my LT1, front or back. If you do order some, make sure to specify LS1 for the fronts...there is a big difference.

Now, getting certain tires to fit....that's another battle in itself. I've got 275/60-15 BFGs on a set of D-10s and I had to do a little persuasion to get them in.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:23 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

bogarts break and bend easy though
Old 04-30-2004, 06:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ordered the Welds from Billingsly with MT ET radials. I did this on price more than anything. If I had no price cap I would have gone Bogarts. Thanks for the help.

I should have the ET radial in 2 weeks according to Amber. Could be fun.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Love my Bogarts, I drive them on the street and on the highway and beltway and dont have any problems with mine.

Rob
Old 04-30-2004, 06:47 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

well my buddy had his for a month and one front has already completely broken and one back one is flat spotted in two places and he only maybe put 150miles on them in that month back and forth from the track.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 68maro
well my buddy had his for a month and one front has already completely broken and one back one is flat spotted in two places and he only maybe put 150miles on them in that month back and forth from the track.
Sorry to hear that. I know a few guys around here besides me that runs them on the street alot with no problems

Rob
Old 04-30-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

No easier than Welds from what I've seen
Old 04-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DERTY
Bogart makes some nice wheels. No personal experience with them though.

Depending on the Weld wheel that you are looking for you can get them in a variety of sizes. A 15x10 on a 7" backspacing fits really good. You can get these in the Aluma Stars. Aluma Stars do not fit with factory breaks or grinding! In the other Pro Star sizes I believe you can get these in a 7.5" backspacing and run them with a small spacer and it will fit over factory brakes with a little grinding.

Warrior wheels require more caliper work then a Convo Pro but the sizes are identical. A 8.5" wide Convo does fit but it sticks out a tad more then the 7.5 does. It's not really ideal and makes the back end of the car look fat and dorky instead of tucked. I had 8.5's on mine previously. You'll find the Warriors are exactly the same.

Short of narrowing your axles to get them to tuck nicer there are really only a couple options that would allow you to put a bigger tire and rim in there. You just have to go with what you like though.
What are the backspace and width of the wheels in your pics? sorry didnt read it all nevermind,I have some Warriors.they are 15x10 6.5 backspace. No grinding just bolt on and go.I wish I had pics,I dont think they stick out as bad as a convo, and I dont think you can get a convo in a 6.5 b/s? I cant run a 28" tire thou,and my car is a 96.that may be the deal?

Last edited by boost junkie; 04-30-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

run the 7.5 convo that will work perfectly with the 26x10.5 ET street.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I have a pair of the 7.5" Convos for sale. Email me if interested. As stated, these are the only ones available in the Convo Pro lineup, that does not stick out. I ran a 28x10" ET drag on mine. I narowed the rear end & will be running the same rim on a 15x10" with 4" bs.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep that bites... but I daily drove mine on the street for months before the new motor went in. Mine still look (and work) great. Even drove on 'em (skinnies and 295/50-15 rears) to San Antonio for last year's Spring Break Shootout. Mine are Fluted Drag Stars.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:48 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Yep that bites... but I daily drove mine on the street for months before the new motor went in. Mine still look (and work) great. Even drove on 'em (skinnies and 295/50-15 rears) to San Antonio for last year's Spring Break Shootout. Mine are Fluted Drag Stars.
It also depends on what kind they are too. A P1 Billet (D-10, Drag-On series, etc)is a stronger than a P2 Billet wheel (Gold Star, AlumaLite, etc). Remember, Weld and Centerline has the exact same warning on their wheels that Bogart has on their wheel.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bogart P1 billet series drag rims are quite strong actually. Doing a count for example for F-body cars (this is for EVERY F-body sale to date since production going on ~4 years now from what i'm aware of), I believe there are only TWO guys that have bent a front runner. If a rim was bent slightly, we can repair the rims...something that can't be said about some other rim manufactures.

I'm not stating the rims are foolproof and can't be bent...they most certainly can. Just as you can bend a weld or centerline rim, similar care must be taken with a Bogart rim so they are not bent.

Some of the Bogart series are much weaker and intended for very specific purposes. When someone uses them for a purpose not recommended, then most certainly, they will fail. This would be no different then someone going against the recomendation of say a nitrous shot...go past what is recommended for your engine...and boom! The rims are built for drag racing, thus the warnings of street use...just as other drag manufactures suggest. Just as any component that is used on your car, the more you stress it, the more likely it will fail.

Bogart P1 rims are a bit more over say a weld prostar or centerline rim. Our rims are CUSTOM built though and not in the same caliber as say a prostar or other mass produced rim not car specific. For this reason, it is hard to compare the products as they are not in the same league. Choose a higher quality weld rim, and quickly one would find out our prices are not as high as one originally thought.

I look at it as if your looking for a rim that works, not concerned with fitment issues, finish, quality of material and weight, then a mass produced rim is a perfect solution. This route will proove to be less expensive always.

If you are concerned with the above mentioned, then our rims would fit your needs.

It really comes down to what a person is looking for in a product. One wouldn' t purchase a Geo Metro and expect it to perform as a Ferrari, nor would they pay the same amount for the two items. This applies with the Bogart products. You get what you pay for.

Have a good day:-)

Steve
Pres.

Last edited by steve10; 05-04-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,096 Likes on 720 Posts

Well you have to look at the numbers.

Rims that are super light cannot take potholes and rough roads.

I have driven on Draglites and Pro Stars for years on the street but would never street drive Alumastars. My Pro Stars in back are 15-16lbs vs 11lbs for Alumastars.

15x7/10.5 works, maybe Harold has a deal that you would want.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by steve10
I look at it as if your looking for a rim that works, not concerned with fitment issues, finish, quality of material and weight, then a mass produced rim is a perfect solution. This route will proove to be less expensive always.

If you are concerned with the above mentioned, then our rims would fit your needs.
This is not meant as a flame but I disagree with the statement above...

I have never had a fitment or quality issue with the Centerline Convo Pro rims on my car now. No spacers, no grinding and very lightweight for a wheel you can drive on every day on or off the track.

I think Bogarts are great but there are definitely less expensive alternatives that work extremely well.

Just wanted to point that out to folks...

Quick Reply: Bogart, Centerline, or Weld?