Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Disconnect switch wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery Disconnect switch wiring

I've had my battery located in the trunk for a while now. I'm just now adding the disconnect switch. A cable runs from the battery post on the driver's side to the trunk, to the alternator, and one to the starter. I just purchased Moroso's part # 74101 cutoff switch http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...28&prmenbr=361. I'm wondering if it is defective. I ran a #2 wire from the positve battery post to the cutoff switch. When I flip the switch it does not kill the power from the battery. Interior lights stay on, etc. What am I missing here? I wanted to get it working this much and worry about the alternator and starter later.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
I've had my battery located in the trunk for a while now. I'm just now adding the disconnect switch. A cable runs from the battery post on the driver's side to the trunk, to the alternator, and one to the starter. I just purchased Moroso's part # 74101 cutoff switch http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...28&prmenbr=361. I'm wondering if it is defective. I ran a #2 wire from the positve battery post to the cutoff switch. When I flip the switch it does not kill the power from the battery. Interior lights stay on, etc. What am I missing here? I wanted to get it working this much and worry about the alternator and starter later.
the alt.wire has to run to batt or batt side of switch[positive side]in rear of car,if its still hooked to factory wires it will supply juice to starter lug that has all the power wires for car thats why it stays running, so when you shut switch off it kills all curent to frt of car, if switch is bad you can test it with meter or test light it may be you just have wires mixed up if switch is good ,also you want it to kill car when you push in handle[if your using a psh /pull handle , or when you turn to left if your just mounting it to body bob
Old 05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I understand what you are saying. I am only wanting to kill the battery with the switch right now. The power from the battery is not killed when I flip the switch. All interior lights, radio, etc are still on. I understand that the alternator will keep the car running with no battery power but i can't even kill the battery power.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

You run the battery (+) to one side of the switch, and then from the other side of the switch run another cable to where the (+) would normally go.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Default switch

Originally Posted by 4mulaJoe
I understand what you are saying. I am only wanting to kill the battery with the switch right now. The power from the battery is not killed when I flip the switch. All interior lights, radio, etc are still on. I understand that the alternator will keep the car running with no battery power but i can't even kill the battery power.
if switch is in cable anywhere between bat and frt of car, and you turn it off it should work, test switch and see if good ,

Quick Reply: Battery Disconnect switch wiring