Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is actually removed on the !front and !rear bumpers and how to do it?

Old 05-19-2004, 08:06 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is actually removed on the !front and !rear bumpers and how to do it?

Just wondering what is removed, how to do it, and will anything need to be added, modified, etc. to retain the painted portion of the bumpers. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Motorboater

i've done both of mine but to be honest I'm not sure how to explain it. Its pretty self explanatory when you look at it, with the front being a good bit more difficult/work than the back if I recall
Old 05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
9 Second Club NA

Anyone have pics of whats actually removed? I want to be sure that I dont remove something that Im not suppose to and make sure that I dont leave anything out. Also, the bumper shells, the ones that are painted as the rest of the car, these are removed right? What holds them up once you remove whatever it is that is being removed? Will anything have to be fabricated or modified? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I looked at mine , and my fog lights bolt to the bumper support so I will not remove the front bumper brace. But mine is a trans am and im not looking to hack the front area up.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does anyone have pics on whats removed or can someone please take pics? I dont know if its any different from the Firebird models, but will I still be able to retain the fog lights? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
Does anyone have pics on whats removed or can someone please take pics? I dont know if its any different from the Firebird models, but will I still be able to retain the fog lights? Thanks.
You have a formula
i can tell you how to do the front and rear on a ta. im sure its the same
think the foglamps on the firebired are just attached like the turn signals to the painted part. the supports are pretty basic.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

I have a Camaro, not a Formula.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
You have a formula
i can tell you how to do the front and rear on a ta. im sure its the same
think the foglamps on the firebired are just attached like the turn signals to the painted part. the supports are pretty basic.
I have a Trans am , I looked at it and it looks like the fog lights bolt to the brace, could you help me out with taking the front and rear without hacking things up.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:46 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Here is a few pics of the front of mine, I made a little piece out of aluminum to hold up the bottom of the bumper. It was easier for me to pop put the headlights, one bolt on each lamp then they slide to the inside and they come right off. I had to take the lights off since the intercoolers were in the way so you may not have to do so. Once you take off the plastic panels on the bottom you can get at all the 10mm nuts and one bolt that hold it on. The upper part is obvious - its hard to explain, just start taking stuff off. Havent got around to doing the rear but will one of these days..
Old 05-23-2004, 03:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front is easy, havne't figured out the back yet... lol
Old 05-23-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

here is another pic for your reference. the circles in yellow are where you need to unbolt the metal bumper piece and the red area symbolizes the metal bumper brace itself which is what you want to remove along with the black foam piece.
Attached Thumbnails What is actually removed on the !front and !rear bumpers and how to do it?-608.jpg  
Old 05-25-2004, 03:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Bumper support removed! It was a lot easier than I thought it was. I went ahead and removed the headlights to have more room to work, but it was only 1 bolt per side, so it didnt take any time at all to remove. I took the whole front facsia off in order to remove the brace and foam part which are actually one piece unless you take them apart. I couldnt see any other way of removing the bumper support without the facsia being off. Anyhow, that wasnt hard either. The facsia is now back on and it looks good. A lot more room in there now. I weighed it on a regular scale, one you would weigh yourself on, and it was roughly 19 lbs. The facsia seems to feel pretty solid except for the bottom of it. Theres nothing holding it and I havent gotten around to driving the car yet, but it looks as it would flap around. Do I leave it alone or what are you guys/gals doing about it? How hard is the rear and is it difficult to figure out? Thanks a lot.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do what KP did, bolt it up w/aluminum

I want to take mine out, and have to if I plan on running a FMIC in the future, I want to figure out a way to get the foglights back in there though......
Old 05-29-2004, 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

Anyone done this on a WS6? I gotta lose some weight out of my pig somewhere! 19 lbs isn't much, but every little bit helps. I really don't care about the fog lights - does it make it easier if you don't mind ditching them?
I'm afraid to take out the rear one the way idiots drive around here someone would probably rearend me and blow me and my car up!
Thanks for any help!

Search this Thread