Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should I launch my A4 with tci3500?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I launch my A4 with tci3500?

Last time I went to the track I pulled a best of 13.1 @ 106 with a 2.0 short time. Not too bad at all IMO. But here is my dilema. I ran 4 times that night. One run I stalled up to 1500 rpm's and mashed the gas on green and it was ugly. I spun so bad I was starting to fishtail and had to let off. I tried stalling to 1000 and mashed the gas with similair results. I tried starting at 1200 and easing into the throttle and ended up babying it too much. My actual decent run that I got the 13.1 was just plain and simple flooring it right off idle. Minimal spin and a decent 60' time for street tires and stock stall. Ok seems simple enough but;

I've got a few guys meeting me at a track in a few weeks and I might be able to get a TCI 3500 or TCI 3000 (still contimplating which stall to get) installed with shift kit and tranny cooler by then. I'd be running on 245 Nitto 555R drag radials and no I don't have the funds or any friends I can borrow slicks from. I don't want to humiliate myself with a 14.5 second run because I have no ungodly idea how to launch a 3500 stall with 2.5 STR.

If I heat up the Nittos real good with about 19 psi can I just mash the gas straight off idle like before? or will the 2.5 STR blow me away trying that?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends largely on the track. Most likely, you'll need to drive the car a bit. Stall it up good, release the brake, roll into the throttle quickly (how quick depends on the track. You *MAY* be able to just stomp it dead to the floor on a really good track after a really good burnout), and then straight to the floor after about 10 ft (after the weight has transfered.)

Main things to remember, BURNOUT!!! Nittos have to be H-O-T!!! Practice, practice, practice. Other than that you can do suspension mods, and more importantly, add more tire (slicks would be best of course.)
Old 05-20-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks colonel. I'll try the mash the gas off idle first after a real good burnout. If that's too much then I guess it might get ugly again. Brake stalling and easing into wot is not my specialty. But like you said, I need to practice.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I've learned about radials. You stand to waste ALOT more time spinning if you get aggressive with the throttle than you will waste by going into it a little on the easy side. I like to start a little light and then work my way up if the track seems to hold it.

Also, if one lane doesn't work for you, try the other. Sometimes the difference is HUGE from one lane to the next.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I usuallly try this:

-first time, stall it up to 1000-1500 and roll out fast and give gas fast. But don't mash the gas off the line
-second time, same technique but mash the gas
-third time, something in the middle if I spun a lot

With Nittos I would do a 6 second burnout for the first pass and then less for the rest of the nite unless it got cold out.