Sponsored by:

Tubular K-member & control arm advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tubular K-member & control arm advice

Hey guys
Wanted to see what you guys thoughts are on tubular K-members and upper and lower control arms on a weekend warrior type street/strip car. What are the pros & cons to running the tubular suspensions on the street? Are there any problems keeping a frontend alignment or any other issues?

I am currently doing a LSX 427 engine build for my 98 SS Camaro. I will be making quite a few changes to the car in addition to the engine all at the same time. Due to the extra weight of the LSX block as well as going with 2" tube Kooks LT headers and a Moroso 21150 oil pan, I am looking into getting a tubular K-member and tubular upper & lower control arms for a three fold reason of weight reduction & clearance for the headers and oil pan.

The car is a full weight 98 SS Camaro will see some limited street driving, probably around 5000 miles a year. Will be driven to and from the track sometimes as far as 150-200 mile round trips. I want to retain the factory steering rack with power steering as well.

Car currently has full factory front suspension with Afco DA shocks and coilover springs on all four corners. I have BMR rear suspension components and a Spohn extreme duty Torque Arm & BMR extreme duty anti-roll bar as well on the 12 bolt rear.

1) Looking for weight savings & added clearance
2) Looking for a setup that will retain a good alignment with limited street use.
3)Want to retain factory rack and power steering
4) Will retain factory brakes for now ( might upgrade at a later date)
5) How much weight will I drop from just the K-member & uppers and lowers?

I appreciate any advice y'all might have.
I will have to get in touch with "Madman" and see what his advice is also since he is local to me and has helped me out with my Afco shocks and some suspension tuning as well.

Thanks in advance
Floyd
Old 07-28-2014, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The MWC suspension Stage 2 package is exactly what you need! There is about 45 pounds weight savings over your stock parts wit this setup.

You will want to run mild steel components for any street use. One thing MWC has is the ability to set you up with a k-member that does not have slotted alignment holes and no possibility of alignment adjustment slippage. Our K-member automatically comes with steering and engine mounts so there's no "extras" when it comes time to purchase. All MWC k-members are able to use a 5" down pipe as well with no upgrade if you were to ever go with a turbo system.

The MWC lowers are designed to work directly with your Afco shocks, and we also use a mount that eliminates the factory t-bar style mount that is common to bend with other manufacturer's designs.

We have all our front suspension packages on sale right now so get in on the deal!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ages-sale.html
Old 07-28-2014, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I'm LTX but here is my PA racing one. It fit perfect and everything mounted up to it without any clearance issues.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/members-...irebird-5.html
Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I responded in your other thread. But if I had to doing again, I wouldn't have an issue with PA, Midwest, race craft, BMR or umi, they all seem to be quality pieces.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by floman
Hey guys
Wanted to see what you guys thoughts are on tubular K-members and upper and lower control arms on a weekend warrior type street/strip car. What are the pros & cons to running the tubular suspensions on the street? Are there any problems keeping a frontend alignment or any other issues?

I am currently doing a LSX 427 engine build for my 98 SS Camaro. I will be making quite a few changes to the car in addition to the engine all at the same time. Due to the extra weight of the LSX block as well as going with 2" tube Kooks LT headers and a Moroso 21150 oil pan, I am looking into getting a tubular K-member and tubular upper & lower control arms for a three fold reason of weight reduction & clearance for the headers and oil pan.

The car is a full weight 98 SS Camaro will see some limited street driving, probably around 5000 miles a year. Will be driven to and from the track sometimes as far as 150-200 mile round trips. I want to retain the factory steering rack with power steering as well.

Car currently has full factory front suspension with Afco DA shocks and coilover springs on all four corners. I have BMR rear suspension components and a Spohn extreme duty Torque Arm & BMR extreme duty anti-roll bar as well on the 12 bolt rear.

1) Looking for weight savings & added clearance
2) Looking for a setup that will retain a good alignment with limited street use.
3)Want to retain factory rack and power steering
4) Will retain factory brakes for now ( might upgrade at a later date)
5) How much weight will I drop from just the K-member & uppers and lowers?

I appreciate any advice y'all might have.
I will have to get in touch with "Madman" and see what his advice is also since he is local to me and has helped me out with my Afco shocks and some suspension tuning as well.

Thanks in advance
Floyd

Our regular BMR LS k-member (KM003) along with our BMR adjustable upper a-arms (AA004) and lower a-arms (AA002) sound like they would be a very good option for you since you are doing more of a street/strip setup. This combination of parts will not only save you a good bit of weight but it will also give you the additional clearance you are looking for. Also we make these parts out of DOM tubular steel so they are plenty strong to take anything you will throw and will hold up extremely well for what you want to do with the car.

Our BMR k-members has the slotted hole for aligning the vehicle just like your factory parts do so whatever shop you decide to have align the car will be able to easily align it without any kind of issue and there is ample amounts of adjustment available to get the alignment specs you are looking for. The BMR LS k-member (KM003) has the steering mounts for factory steering to allow you to use the factory rack and retain your power steering.

Our parts will work for you whether you are wanting to use the factory brakes or an aftermarket brake set up so you will be covered either way.

Madman is definitely a good guy to go to as there are very few people that know these cars as well as he does.

If there is anything we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 07-28-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just pick up the phone and call me.

225-343-9029
Old 04-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Just pick up the phone and call me.
This might be a stupid question, but I have a BMR K member with adjustable lowers and just put Viking double adjustable coil overs on the car. I bought the car with most done to it about 6mos ago, and I would like to have it aligned, as it pulls a bit too the right, and seems to have no adjustment in the p/s end link, and plenty on driver side... Is there any place I should or should not take the car to be aligned? I drive it quite a bit on the street, but with caution and also no highway use. And is there any specific distance the control arms should be adjusted out, or no? Thanks

Quick Reply: Tubular K-member & control arm advice