Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest street car in the world.....5.95 at lvms

Old 11-23-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fastest street car in the world.....5.95 at lvms

And I think is cruising the las vegas strip right now.....

Congrats to Larry Larson.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

no vids or pics no care !
Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its all on Larson race cars on facebook
Old 11-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, that is a street car LOL. I guess it is a street car by Monte Smith's definition: "If you can suffer driving it on the street, it is a street car" LOL.

Realistically a street car or not, great job Larry Larson!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Yea in 1/8th maybe
Old 11-24-2014, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by loosews6
Yea in 1/8th maybe
Wow.....you know when people say "theres always someone faster" Well not in Vegas today. He ran 5.95 @244 mph then drove the car......5 time drag week champion.....first street car in the 5's......and it was bought off of craigslist I believe......
Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Not exactly a street car....by far, but I guess if you consider driving a full blown race car on the street..... a street car..
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

He proved it's streetable! Street legal? No lol. I am a MO state inspector and it would fail for a dozen things just looking at it. But awesome accomplishment I really don't know how much higher the bar can be raised.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty amazing what all of those guys can do with their cars. The little trailers are awesome. I loved watching coverage on roadkill for last year.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Is this the S10? I wouldn't consider that a street driver, or street legal.

Where's the working lights or a passenger seat... and you can't just put the pass. seat back in either. Not to mention, the "body" isn't a real GM body. To me, this one is just a flat out race vehicle and there's no chance any state, after looking at it, would issue a tag for it.

I would consider it "really cool" though.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Funny really. Larrys biggest gripe is not real cars.....His s10 is a steel body, oem vin tag and steel bed. He did do body work, making the bed sides higher for tire clearance. Most of the pictures are in race trim.....and street trim, is different. Adding a seat? Not that hard if its designed that way.....but yea it has two seats....two sets of doors, two sets of wheels (like most people) head lights, tail lights, turn signals, horn etc....windows, mirrors etc...

Was it designed to be light? Hell yea......It runs two seperate fuel systems....one for racing off a belt drive pump and one for pump gas....(imagine that? lol) I think its even a walbro,or dual aeromotive 340...

It also runs a big *** radiator, trans cooler etc...and a gear vendors overdrive.......its probably more streetable than most f bodies that are 10 sec na cars.

So it runs high 5 s in the 1/8th.....and is a carbon bodied pro mod....lol
Old 11-24-2014, 03:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Was going to say it's all steel! He does awesome chassis work.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1320
Funny really. Larrys biggest gripe is not real cars.....His s10 is a steel body, oem vin tag and steel bed. He did do body work, making the bed sides higher for tire clearance. Most of the pictures are in race trim.....and street trim, is different. Adding a seat? Not that hard if its designed that way.....but yea it has two seats....two sets of doors, two sets of wheels (like most people) head lights, tail lights, turn signals, horn etc....windows, mirrors etc...

Was it designed to be light? Hell yea......It runs two seperate fuel systems....one for racing off a belt drive pump and one for pump gas....(imagine that? lol) I think its even a walbro,or dual aeromotive 340...

It also runs a big *** radiator, trans cooler etc...and a gear vendors overdrive.......its probably more streetable than most f bodies that are 10 sec na cars.

So it runs high 5 s in the 1/8th.....and is a carbon bodied pro mod....lol
Right off, let me reiterate that I like this race truck, though I prefer his "NOVA" over this.

This S10 is not even close to "all steel" by any definition. For example: The entire front clip lacks steel and is a lift off, 1 piece unit. Did GM make it that way?

http://www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod...rag-week-2014/ <~ The real inside story.

According to Larry, it has factory steel roof, cab and quarters. The rest isn't... including the actual frame, which simply doesn't exist on this purpose built 25.2 race chassis.

Bottom line: When correctly fitted with about 200 lb more or different parts, it's a street legal vehicle which makes far less power!

Here's why I don't really consider the S10 "street legal" aside from the obvious: Back in 2000-01, we did the fuel system thing with a street car. It ran 8.2's in race trim. That said, we merely flipped a switch to change fuel supply and left everything else exactly as built, right down to its street legal tires which we lowered the pressure in. That's a street car as opposed to one that requires an hour or more to "prepare" before a race, once gotten to the track. Ours was ready in literally less than 2 minutes by contrast.

I'll concede that it is street legal, just not while in race trim, which is how it was when it set the latest record(and any other record it ever set).
Old 11-24-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry Larson is the man. He built that truck because he hated the guys pulling up in pro mod cars ( like the gold '68 camaro). That truck is absolutely sweet, bought it on craigslist for $400. Nova is a cool story too.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

High 5s in the quarter people... not the 1/8th..
Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt say it was all steel.....I said steel body and bed....ie cab ....but on a side note.....every 4 th gen ever made.....has plastic fenders, nose, and virtually all have glass or carbon hoods on them now.....and plastic doors....Theres more metal in the s10 thats painted than a stock ss camaro.

Its also geared higher than every a4 f body with 3.23's.....

Does a roll pan on a truck make it not a street car now?lol......
Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
I didnt say it was all steel.....I said steel body and bed....ie cab ....but on a side note.....every 4 th gen ever made.....has plastic fenders, nose, and virtually all have glass or carbon hoods on them now.....and plastic doors....Theres more metal in the s10 thats painted than a stock ss camaro.

Its also geared higher than every a4 f body with 3.23's.....

Does a roll pan on a truck make it not a street car now?lol......
I would say the custom tube chassis and one piece lift off front end pretty much nips it in the bud. Do you consider pro stock cars street cars too if someone puts them on asphalt?
Old 11-25-2014, 09:05 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I think Pro Stock has traditionally had tougher rules than most of these "street car" classes.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Street car or not, he pulls a trailer to the track unlike most who pull up to the track on a trailer and that is just cool. I think its a great event.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
I would say the custom tube chassis and one piece lift off front end pretty much nips it in the bud. Do you consider pro stock cars street cars too if someone puts them on asphalt?
Well, I dont see how the chassis, doesnt make it a street car.....There are many builders of custom chassis selling them for everything under the sun. Every true pro touring car has a custom non oem chassis.....and suspension.......how is it different? At least he built his, instead of calling a builder and giving a credit card number.

One piece front end? Versus many pieces? I ve driven a street car with a glass front end....for years....I even towed a trailer with it....with a car on the trailer. I even have a one piece front end for a street car now....thats not done....and all it does it make the car better.....easier to work on.

I have never seen a prostock car drive back after a pass....I have never seen a pro stock car drive to the lanes.....I have never seen a prostock car with lights, signals, mirrors, overdrive.....i have never seen a passenger in a prostock car......i have never seen a prostock car drive out the gate and get on the hiway......and i have never seen a prostock car run a 5.....or 244.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fastest street car in the world.....5.95 at lvms