Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension guidance

Few questions about where my next upgrades would be most beneficial for the car. Hunting for 9s.

Quick rundown:

Car is 3500 rw, best 60 1.46, best mph 132, 275 60 15 drag radial, 200 worth of spray on progressive box currently. 10.28 @ 129 best pass with a 1.46 on 175 progressed. PTC stall, 4l60e , 3.73 rear.

Front:

stock struts
intrax lowering springs

Rear:

competition engineering 3 way shocks
stock cut springs
Founders relocation brackets
Founders adjustable control arms
BMR long torque arm
BMR anti swaybar

Right now shocks are set 50/50, pinion angle is -0.5, control arm angle is 0.8 down towards rear. I have also measured the torque arm on the flat part and it's pointing up 2 degrees. If this is correct I have no instant center from my research.

I have been researching a lot and from that what I have gathered is that the torque arm should point down 2 degrees, control arms also 2 degrees down toward rear. I have the anti rollbar adjusted neutral at this point. I will also return the pinion angle to -1.5-2.0 degrees.

My plan is to adjust rear and considering adding TRZ relocation brackets which have more downward adjustment as well as Strange SA with 300lb springs.

Also have a 2 step coming as well.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any video of the car launching? That will give us the best idea on what the car is doing/or needs.

But by looking at your setup, I'd opt for lighter front springs and some adjustable struts.

But to hit 9's you're going to need at least another 6 mph to get a 9 sec pass.

You do have an IC but you may be measuring wrong. Try this link for torque arm IC's

http://www.shopeshop.org/tim.13.htm

-Mark
Old 12-23-2014, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jblankenship
Few questions about where my next upgrades would be most beneficial for the car. Hunting for 9s.

Quick rundown:

Car is 3500 rw, best 60 1.46, best mph 132, 275 60 15 drag radial, 200 worth of spray on progressive box currently. 10.28 @ 129 best pass with a 1.46 on 175 progressed. PTC stall, 4l60e , 3.73 rear.

Front:

stock struts
intrax lowering springs

Rear:

stock cut springs
BMR long torque arm
BMR anti swaybar

Right now shocks are set 50/50, pinion angle is -0.5, control arm angle is 0.8 down towards rear. I have also measured the torque arm on the flat part and it's pointing up 2 degrees. If this is correct I have no instant center from my research.

I have been researching a lot and from that what I have gathered is that the torque arm should point down 2 degrees, control arms also 2 degrees down toward rear. I have the anti rollbar adjusted neutral at this point. I will also return the pinion angle to -1.5-2.0 degrees.

My plan is to adjust rear and considering adding TRZ relocation brackets which have more downward adjustment as well as Strange SA with 300lb springs.

The drag radial is very particular and needs the correct combo of suspension parts and power management for optimum performance.

There are a lot of shocks and other suspension parts on the market vs what you have listed and currently have on the car, some of which are not doing you any favors.

We have a lot of experience with tuning radial tire cars and can help you get the results you are looking for as you apply more power to get that 9 second pass. Give us a call and we will be happy to go over your setup and get you headed in the right direction the first time.
Old 12-23-2014, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jblankenship

Quick rundown:

Front:

stock struts
intrax lowering springs

Rear:

stock cut springs
BMR long torque arm
BMR anti swaybar

First off just to clarify, pinion angle has no bearing on traction whatsoever. It only factors in for high speed driveling vibration. If you have polyurethane bushings, then somewhere in the -2* range is good. Rod ends/spherical bearings would be -1* or less.

The next thing I will come to is your torque arm mounting; is it still mounted on the tailshaft or do you have a relocation crossmember? If you don't already have one, the crossmember will help tremendously as it will allow you instant center adjustment without making any other changes on the car. You can move to a lower mounting position to gain a more aggressive instant center. You should be seeing somewhere in the 1.3x range for 60's. The parts you have now are capable of doing it. We have a local car with nearly the same combo, and the car is consistently in the 1.34-1.36 range.
Also, don't think that a long torque arm will not work for how fast you are going. I have had cars in the 8's with a full length torque arm and relocation crossmember combo in the 1.2x range. I would love to see videos of the car leaving to try to get a better feel for what the car is doing and any other suggestions I can make to get it working better
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I will get some video. The torque arm is still on the trans. Mainly just for the reduced noise.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

At your power level, even without the suspension tuning benefits , I would get it off the trans. I have seen many people break the tailshaft off their transmission from hard launches and the torque arm pulling on it. If you already have an aftermarket arm, then you have a polyurethane bushing in the mount. You won't notice much of an increase in NVH going to a crossmember mount versus what you have now.

Get some vids up and lets see what you have going on
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: Suspension guidance