Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over 135mph with a 5pt Roll Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Over 135mph with a 5pt Roll Bar?

Hey guys. My C5 coupe is set up for the road course but I do occasionally enjoy going to the dragstrip, 1/8 and 1/4mi. For general safety and to keep from getting kicked out again I went ahead and ordered a 5pt roll bar for the car. I don't have dedicated slicks so its hard to put down 700rwhp at the track but even then the car runs low to mid 10s at 135mph. I know with some real tires it'll go quite a bit faster. I just saw that nhra requires a full roll cage for any car trapping 135 or faster regardless of et. Thing is I still drive my car on the street and don't wanna tear it apart for a full cage, at least not yet. Has anyone had any problems at tech inspection exceeding 135mph with a 5 or 6pt roll bar? They usually only look at et and mark the windshields accordingly. Just hoping they don't give me crap about it.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:04 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been in your situation before. My solution was to make partial passes data logging and playing with the tuneup and just having fun. Then at the end of the night I'll throw down a hail mary pass and get shown the gate.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
I've been in your situation before. My solution was to make partial passes data logging and playing with the tuneup and just having fun. Then at the end of the night I'll throw down a hail mary pass and get shown the gate.
Lol I've been doing that too. Shutting down early and then going for it once just to get that nice time slip. Thing is I was threatened now with a 1yr ban if I do it again and we only have 1 local 1/4 dragstrip. Next one is 2hrs away.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really all depends on the track. I had no cage and was trapping mid/high 130's and didn't get anything. I've ran at a couple tracks and they didn't seem to care. I went with an 8pt though just because I just didn't feel safe and the family was pressuring me on it. a roll bar or cage isn't the end of the world and you can get removable bars on the door if getting in and out is an issue.

Quick Reply: Over 135mph with a 5pt Roll Bar?