Sponsored by:

Bias ply vs Radial trap speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 03:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bias ply vs Radial trap speed

Has anyone ever tested this?

I've always ran bias ply tires on my cars at the track but I recently switched over to a radial skinny in the front and would like to do a radial in the rear. I have a 6spd cam only car that trapped 120.8 mph top with the hoosier qtp, a bias ply. I am wanting to swap over to the hoosier drag radial. I feel I will be able to work on the launch and get a similar 60 (1.63 was my best so far) but I am wondering if I should pick up any MPH with the radial.

Has anyone tested this? MAybe ran a bias and a radial on the same day?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Radials have less rolling resistance so yeah you could probably pick up some mph, but you will probably lose what you gained mph wise due to a worse 60ft going to the radial with a 6 speed car
Old 06-20-2015, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Agreed, you need the soft sidewall for launch. A 6speed and radial dont ever seem to mate well.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Radials don't grow either (could effect gear ratio ?)
Old 06-21-2015, 07:58 AM
Launching!

We have seen 1 - 1.5 mph gain running a DR over a bias ply tire running in similar conditions.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

what I have found is that for my 6 speed car, if I want to run nitrous out the gate on drag radials forget it... it spun enough without it... with the dot slicks it sticks quite well, just have to use video of the wheels during launch to see if the tires are getting squished too much and adjust tire pressure accordingly and they work awesome... seems the auto cars do real well with the drag radials, especially the turbo cars
Old 06-21-2015, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

my car went a 6.62 at 106 with a 1.60 60ft on 275/50 hoosier drag radials and a 6.57 at 106 with a 1.53 60ft on 28x10 hoosier slicks. On a well set up auto car the radial will be faster and more stable. On a stick car or a car that doesn't have a great working suspension the slick will beat it every time. From my experience if a radial ever spins the run is over where as with a slick its not
Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jarred Hodges
my car went a 6.62 at 106 with a 1.60 60ft on 275/50 hoosier drag radials and a 6.57 at 106 with a 1.53 60ft on 28x10 hoosier slicks. On a well set up auto car the radial will be faster and more stable. On a stick car or a car that doesn't have a great working suspension the slick will beat it every time. From my experience if a radial ever spins the run is over where as with a slick its not
I am wanting to run the hoosier drag radials. I have a nice set of radials on the front of the car already and I am wanting to make this car somewhat streetable again which was the reasoning for trying radials on the rear again.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comparatively you will pick up MPH but racing with a 6 speed is a very tricky thing on a consistency basis. Typically I have found once a cam is installed and making 370 to 420 rwhp the car becomes an on/off switch meaning you leave too low of a rpm and bog or too high and spin.

For most you have a few options but in the end. Its a 6 speed and either your gonna break it racing or not be as fast nor consistent and a racer with an auto. So decide what's more important to you.

Suspension and race weight are big factors here and the heavier the car is the more stress your gonna put on parts I.e. breakage.

These cars love to leave at 5 k and that's what gets it out of the hole and having that sidewall flex matters. As well as a good tire compound.

A 2 step helps a ton but my car would bite so hard that the body bounces off the rear all the time so even with the bias ply it was going to be a needed eventually.

So for a long story short. I've been there. I've broken ****. I've bought the parts and can tell you that you should stick with a bias ply tire. But if you got the itch. Get a radial and go play with it and see if you like it.

Putting a Radial on it for the street is fine but just fyi driving around, heat cycling it, taking life out of the tire, your gonna find it not as consistent and you may be lucky to see 1.6 60 foot times but set it up for what you do the majority of the time.

I should talk as I went race car on a car that had a track 100 plus miles away and thus 98% of the time was street driven lol.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
We have seen 1 - 1.5 mph gain running a DR over a bias ply tire running in similar conditions.

^^^^^^^
What he said. We have tested this many times.

I agree with everyone about the slick too.

If you have to run a radial out back I'd go with a small diameter Hoosier like a 275 50 15. You will pick up mph because of less rolling resistance and better gearing. Also, you will be less prone to breakage over a 28" tire. The Hoosiers wrinkle the best, IMO, over other drag radials.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

i am giving up on the 6 speed, will finish the season with it and throw a powerglide with transbrake in over the winter and sell the t56 assembly.

Quick Reply: Bias ply vs Radial trap speed