Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gto wheel hop killing 60ft

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gto wheel hop killing 60ft

Hi, i purchased an 06 gto last year and the only things done to it were slp longtubes, intake and tune. the owner told me he had ran a 12.2 on slicks but i wasnt sure if it was possible with just these mods. i took it to the track for the first time yesterday and have attatched my best time slip out of the 3 runs. during the launch it wheel hops bad and i have to back out the throttle in fear of breaking my stock axles and stubs. my questions are what do you think i should be running on street tires considering i am trapping 111mph and how can i prevent the wheel hop. btw i was dumping the clutch and not slipping it. thanks and any input is greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails gto wheel hop killing 60ft-img_8804.jpg  
Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You aren't spinning the tires you can't wheel hop, get some tires. Or gforce 1320 sells a larger half shaft that fixes the wheel hop issue
Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jtm2085
You aren't spinning the tires you can't wheel hop, get some tires. Or gforce 1320 sells a larger half shaft that fixes the wheel hop issue
im running 275 nitto nt555 on it right now.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would try a bias ply tire. Hoosier qtp or Mickey Thompson. World of difference
Old 10-31-2015, 07:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drag bags, sticker tires. Launch technique depends on your trans, track prep, and tires.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Felix C
Drag bags, sticker tires. Launch technique depends on your trans, track prep, and tires.
i have drag bags on the car already. im going again this week but instead of dumping the clutch im going to slip it. would you happen to know what a decent 60ft on street tires is ? thanks btw
Old 10-31-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do 1.90. Best I have read on stock radials is 1.70.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Unless you have a slipper clutch in the car, do not slip it you will cook it in a couple runs if you're lucky... if not it will get cooked immediately.

You need a bias ply tire, period. IRS, plus stick car, anything other than a bias ply tire is hopeless.

And plan on breaking 1/2 shafts, wrecking bushings, and all that. The irs systems just can't and don't deal with the stress drag racing puts on them. They're meant for nice ride and cornering. Not strait line performance.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Unless you have a slipper clutch in the car, do not slip it you will cook it in a couple runs if you're lucky... if not it will get cooked immediately.

You need a bias ply tire, period. IRS, plus stick car, anything other than a bias ply tire is hopeless.

And plan on breaking 1/2 shafts, wrecking bushings, and all that. The irs systems just can't and don't deal with the stress drag racing puts on them. They're meant for nice ride and cornering. Not strait line performance.
i have a level 3 monster clutch and doesnt slipping the clutch cause much less strain on the drivetrain and lessing the chance of breaking axles and driveshafts.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup and it will absolutely hammer that clutch in about 2-3 passes doing that. They are not designed to slip.

If you want a clutch that's designed to slip a softloc mcloud will do that. It's set up with weights that increase grab with RPM and are designed to slip. They wear out extremely fast on the street and you can't drive with it really and expect it to last at all.

Stick car, you really have 3 choices. Dump it and deal with the destruction that happens, and just keep upgrading as parts kick themselves out of the car, put race car parts in that don't let you drive it at all, or accept that it's not going to ET for ****.

Pick one, because that's the deal.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine runs 6.5 in the eighth mile. Mickey Thompson 275 ET Streets or Hoosier QTP's. I have drag bags set at 18# and Viking adjustable shocks set at 8 clicks on compression. I have the stock diff and stubs, GForce axles----auto trans. I used to have the manual trans and the best 60' was 1.65, but not consistently. Mostly 1.75. Tires are a BIG part of the no wheelhop. I have none---knock on wood! Don't drive thru the waterbox unless you have skinny fronts and drag tires on the back. The water off the front tires will make you wheelhop. I never tried to slip the clutch, just don't rev it so high at the line and try to leave a bit softer, sometimes that results in a faster 60'. I'm not into breaking parts, that's why I suggested the things that I have tried. Have fun.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 06goatNY
Hi, i purchased an 06 gto last year and the only things done to it were slp longtubes, intake and tune. the owner told me he had ran a 12.2 on slicks but i wasnt sure if it was possible with just these mods. i took it to the track for the first time yesterday and have attatched my best time slip out of the 3 runs. during the launch it wheel hops bad and i have to back out the throttle in fear of breaking my stock axles and stubs. my questions are what do you think i should be running on street tires considering i am trapping 111mph and how can i prevent the wheel hop. btw i was dumping the clutch and not slipping it. thanks and any input is greatly appreciated
Drag bags, shocks, tires, and practice will definitely help achieve better 60fts and ETs. I see that you already have the drag bags but do you know what kind of pressure you have in them? If you are going to continue to focus on drag racing I would recommend getting a set of Viking double adjustable rear shocks (B229) for it as they have wide range of rebound and compression adjustment to help get rid of the wheel hop and help the car hook. The Nitto drag radials are really mediocre for a manual transmission equipped GTO, I would really look into a good set of slicks that will be more forgiving. Lastly, try slip the clutch rather than dumping it as it will minimize the shock to the drivetrain which will in turn control wheel hop and tire spin better.

If there is anything we can help you out with just let us know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Default Gto wheel hoppin bad

Hey guys. I've got an 04 6 speed. Shorty headers. Gutted cats. Resonator deletes. K&N full cold air. And Lou's short stick. No matter what I can't break. 14.1 my 60 foots suck. Help me out guys. 2.3-6 is my 60 foot. I've launched at multiple different rpms. 2k seems to work best
Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Le goat
Hey guys. I've got an 04 6 speed. Shorty headers. Gutted cats. Resonator deletes. K&N full cold air. And Lou's short stick. No matter what I can't break. 14.1 my 60 foots suck. Help me out guys. 2.3-6 is my 60 foot. I've launched at multiple different rpms. 2k seems to work best
Le Goat.... let's be realistic here. You have done zero mods to help your sixty foot. If you want it to be better, then invest in it. Start purchasing some of the items that are mentioned above.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Le Goat,

I recommend you start your own thread for this.

What is the density altitude on your runs? Is your track at a high elevation? Is your car tuned for your exhaust? What kind of tires? Can you post some time slips? You can also check out my thread in the drag racing section on ls1gto for what I'm doing to try to improve my 60' times on stock power M6.

Quick Reply: gto wheel hop killing 60ft