Sponsored by:

Vaccum/dry sump/race baffle

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaccum/dry sump/race baffle

At what point do you need one ?
Which is better over all vaccum/dry sump?
Making ruffly around 900hp with stock oil pan. Wanting to turn up another 100/200 hp.
This is on a nitrous motor.
Thanks for any and all help.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:29 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A dry sump is the best as you can have oil suction and several scavenge sections for vacuum. A bad *** 6 or 7 stage pump will give you enough vacuum to suck the steering wheel into the crank case. Typically use an adjustable breather on the valve cover to regulate total vacuum in a situation like that. This option is very expensive.

For the budget minded crowd, a vacuum pump can be used with your wet sump oil system and provide great results. Some pumps can still suck hard enough to need the adjustable breather as you can create enough vacuum that the oil pump will start having an issue sucking in oil.

I don't know that there is any set point at which you "need" one or the other. It's more of a budget and packaging thing really along with taking into consideration how the car is used.

Sounds like you are using the stock style oiling system, so my opinion would be to get your feet wet with a good vacuum pump and adjustable breather.

I'm assuming you log crankcase vacuum since your motor is a nitrous combination, correct?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent at this point but it is something that im realizing I need to do. Thanks

Quick Reply: Vaccum/dry sump/race baffle