Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good starting point for rear corner weights? (ladder bar)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Default Good starting point for rear corner weights? (ladder bar)

Best to set these up as close to equal as possible? Or should one side have more or less weight? Or is it always different for every chassis and you basically just do what works?

I’m only working with one digital scale, so it makes things a little harder.

With me in the car:

With the nose jacked up to full shock extension front (tires still touching the ground) Basically in “launch position”.

I was at 922 lbs Driver side and 960 lbs Pass side.

This was 3 flats of added preload to pass bar from neutral position and about 2” more spring preload on the pass side rear coil over spring perch. After adding 3 flats of preload I started going higher on the spring perch. Anything less and the car wanted to drift right after the launch. This net me a straight pass on low power (1.4x 60’) only if the front tires stayed on the ground. If I launched at more rpm/boost both front tires came up and the car would steer left… Which makes sense with all the extra weight on the pass side.

Ideally should I try to get the aft corner weights the same? Best to do this by adjusting spring heights, adjusting ballast, or adjusting pass side ladder bar? I’m looking to add power on the launch so I’m assuming both wheels will be up slightly.

I’m thinking of setting up the spring perches the same and removing the preload form the pass side ladder. Then getting another reading and using ballast to get the rear weights approx. the same? Then add preload to ladder at the track as needed? ( i have 100lbs of ballast in the rear I can move around)

Does having equal spring perch heights really matter if the weight on the wheels is the same? Feels really odd having one significantly higher than the other.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Good starting point for rear corner weights? (ladder bar)