Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is your car for the track only?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is your car for the track only?

is it worth it? the fun fun of drag racing everyother weekend?

the more i think about it what i want in my car there is no way it will be legal for the street and smog and all that shxt.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Struggling with this now. Got kicked off the track for my car being too fast and not having a rollbar in it. Just finished up installing a 6pt rollbar. At Times I miss juat,being able to drive the car anytime anywhere.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The way I look at my car is if I can't race it I don't want it .I love drag racing. My wife bought her car to drive on the street and got bit by the drag race bug and now treats her car the same. We don't have the fastest cars but they are set up to bracket race. No regrets.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby678

the more i think about it what i want in my car there is no way it will be legal for the street and smog and all that shxt.
There are some crazy fast cars that run drag week that are street legal. But, just by the fact that you would say something like that you probably should not. Because anyone that truly loves drag racing. Well, that thought wouldn't even enter their mind.

Originally Posted by 01BlackCamaroSS
Struggling with this now. Got kicked off the track for my car being too fast and not having a rollbar in it. Just finished up installing a 6pt rollbar. At Times I miss juat,being able to drive the car anytime anywhere.
You knew before you even went to the strip this would and should of happened. Get over it. Move on. They are just looking out for everyone's safety.

Originally Posted by nj02z
The way I look at my car is if I can't race it I don't want it .I love drag racing. My wife bought her car to drive on the street and got bit by the drag race bug and now treats her car the same. We don't have the fastest cars but they are set up to bracket race. No regrets.
WORD^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess it all depends on where you stay.. Here in Louisiana people drive drag cars on street tires all the time.. But if your not in any type of class or don't plan on heavily grudge racing it, I would say leave the car streetable.. Doesn't make sense to have a drag car only to go to Test N Tune..
Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NewOrleansLT1
I guess it all depends on where you stay.. Here in Louisiana people drive drag cars on street tires all the time.. But if your not in any type of class or don't plan on heavily grudge racing it, I would say leave the car streetable.. Doesn't make sense to have a drag car only to go to Test N Tune..
im in calfornia so the laws relating to car is tough. and only if your car is pre 1975 can you have pretty much whatever engine/mods you want, there are too many cool cars after 75 you know haha. id love to get a classic but there just hard to find
Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After the first 1.2X 60', sub 5.50 1/8 you won't care if you can drive it on the street
Old 03-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I turned mine into a total race car a while ago. Only regret I have, is that I didn't just commit to it in the beginning and spent a lot of time trying to keep it street friendly.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
After the first 1.2X 60', sub 5.50 1/8 you won't care if you can drive it on the street
I agree, the faster you go the more you dont care.

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I turned mine into a total race car a while ago. Only regret I have, is that I didn't just commit to it in the beginning and spent a lot of time trying to keep it street friendly.
I did this too. Though I still could easily drive it anywhere, almost all the creature comforts are gone and its plain not fun (pleasant) to drive anymore. For the last probably 5 years Ive only driven my car a couple hundred miles a year and thats always short trips near the house for quick fun or tuning. I trailer it to the track so I can ride with room and comfort.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

See my "Build thread" in sig (98 T/A). Totally destroyed a pristine example of a 98 T/A. No regrets, its fun seeing how light/fast I can get it
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

My car just keeps going further to the drag life....most recent "upgrade"....comp built th350 w/ forward manual valve body.

Already has 35 spline spooled rear.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 AM
TECH Resident

I drive my truck on the street way less than I thought I would. I think mainly just because I have more fun at the track. Everything I buy now is track oriented I could care less if it will work on the street. Although it is fun to drive open headers to the local BBQ joint and see the faces of all the tourists in their Prius haha
Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys are right! I started off with just wanting H/C swap then decided to build the motor, then went full suspension, then added a single turbo. Car was a T56 car for the street and I finally said screw street drive-ability and added a Th400 w/trans brake because I wanted the car to be a ET monster for the parts I had in it.

But I still want to drive it on the street even if it does feel like riding in a grocery cart with a full spragless race converter.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through this on my 6 speed ss. Daily drove it for many years and I would run 10s at the track and get kicked off. I decided I didn't want to cage it so now I have more of a track car that is street legal. I gotta tell you driving to the track on street legal radials, busting off low 9s and driving home was a great feeling. This year I'm driving to the track, running solid 8s and driving home. Basically you need 2 cars but I don't drive my SS at all now and plan to sell it.

Our race season is way too short to only enjoy the car at the strip.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ This. Whenever my car leaves hard AF with a 1.2X, I dont remember anything about the street.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This,

Buying parts and spending countless hours on projects to keep it "street" only to be removed get old quick.

Quick Reply: is your car for the track only?