Go Back   LS1TECH > RACING DEPARTMENT > Drag Racing Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Drag Racing Tech
Rules | Safety | Setups | Hardware | Methods
Sponsored by
Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center
Click Here

How to keep the wheels on the ground?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Sweet Cheeks
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,277
Default How to keep the wheels on the ground?

I just got my cam only car tuned and launched it on the street a few times. The car pulls the front wheels about 8-10 inches and I want to know If I can tweak the suspension the keep the nose on the ground and still hook. Right now the front shocks are at the softest setting. Should I try to stiffen them a bit or will this hurt traction significantly? What about the rear? Is there anything I can do? I'm sure that pulling the wheels hurts my ET a bit. Thanks.
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Fastest 346ci Director
 
FEAR THE LS1's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 1
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hot Rainy Humid +2000 DA South Florida
Posts: 1,396
Send a message via AIM to FEAR THE LS1 Send a message via Yahoo to FEAR THE LS1
Default

Somethings you can try:

1. Stiffen the front shocks a little
2. Travel limiters
3. Wheelie Bars

I have messed with all kinds of launching techniques and settings on my suspension. I'm an all motor 346 Solid Roller LS1, depending on what I do to my suspension I can pull some monster wheelies or no wheelie at all. I do however get my best results from a nice 2 foot wheelie that pops up right off the line and set down just before the 60'. On a decent track I average 1.37 - 1.39 60's and have cut best ever 1.32 60'.

You need to find that sweet spot where the weight transfers to the rear wheels putting every ounce of your motors power to the ground while the car is moving forward. Then you want the nose to come down nice and smooth before the 60' let the front suspension settle, no bouncing, and get the car into that nice "rake" mode and hual *** the rest of the way.

Here's a video of one launch from N vs S taken by DooD
Lee 1.35 60' Launch

Lee
__________________
Futral Motorsports 408ci Solid Roller LS1
Best ET: 9.68 @ 139.88 MPH, 1.32 60' 3365 lb RW All Motor
FEAR THE LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
TECH Veteran
 
BLKWS6's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 4,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dear John
I just got my cam only car tuned and launched it on the street a few times. The car pulls the front wheels about 8-10 inches and I want to know If I can tweak the suspension the keep the nose on the ground and still hook. Right now the front shocks are at the softest setting. Should I try to stiffen them a bit or will this hurt traction significantly? What about the rear? Is there anything I can do? I'm sure that pulling the wheels hurts my ET a bit. Thanks.
You pulled the wheels on the street? dayumm...
__________________
1999 BLACK M6 WS6# 4886 (rip A4)

Big azz cam. Im getting too told for this crap....
BLKWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
On The Tree
 
Trader Rating: 0
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: minnesota/misouri
Posts: 147
Send a message via AIM to blubyeu2000 Send a message via Yahoo to blubyeu2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEAR THE LS1
Somethings you can try:

1. Stiffen the front shocks a little
2. Travel limiters
3. Wheelie Bars

I have messed with all kinds of launching techniques and settings on my suspension. I'm an all motor 346 Solid Roller LS1, depending on what I do to my suspension I can pull some monster wheelies or no wheelie at all. I do however get my best results from a nice 2 foot wheelie that pops up right off the line and set down just before the 60'. On a decent track I average 1.37 - 1.39 60's and have cut best ever 1.32 60'.

You need to find that sweet spot where the weight transfers to the rear wheels putting every ounce of your motors power to the ground while the car is moving forward. Then you want the nose to come down nice and smooth before the 60' let the front suspension settle, no bouncing, and get the car into that nice "rake" mode and hual *** the rest of the way.

Here's a video of one launch from N vs S taken by DooD
Lee 1.35 60' Launch

Lee
pleASE LIST THE BARE ESSENTIAL PARTS SUSPENSION WISE TO DO WHEELIES WITH OVER 4 TO THE WHEELS.
__________________
Sure I will race your rocket. Im just a bone stock ws-6.
But lets do it for a benji. Just for fun.
Ohh, that button on my shifter? lets just call it a 125hp insurance policy
blubyeu2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Insurance Expert
 
Trader Rating: 53
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 7,735
Default

A) i'm not buying this story unless you poured down a pile of vht and did a fat burnout on slicks. if this post is for getting attention and not tech content lets not do that, thanks.

to answer your question. you have to go to the track and see what the car likes to do. every car and setup is different.

lay down some base suspension settings and go from there. you may find the car does its best sixty foots with the tires in the air or maybe not, who knows.

lee just gave you some good info. you want your power moving the car forward, not up. pulling the tires up in the air and plopping em back down while not moving forward worth a crap does nothing other than look cool. i'm sure you've seen cars at the track that do that. the cars that pulle the tires and still sixty foot well are ones that CARRY the tires, not just hop em in the air and back down again, that is wasted motion, just be sure you are moving forward, that is the goal.

i think Lee's car is a perfect examply of the right way to get a car out of the hole.
__________________
98 WS6 6 speed street car
2014 VW GLI Autobahn
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:50 PM   #6
Sweet Cheeks
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,277
Default

No VHT, just water. If you feel disbelief then be my guest. A4s almost always launch harder than M6s anyway. However, the car comes out of the hole great, meaning it is moving forward nicely, but I just think that it might be better if I kept the wheels down if that's possible. I'm going to try stiffening the front little by little and see what that nets me. By the way, Lee rocks! That car's rollin.

Last edited by Dear John; 07-29-2004 at 03:03 PM..
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 02:59 PM   #7
LS1Tech Co-Founder
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 34
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 41,741
Default

You must be spraying it or are mega light. 8-10 inches off the ground on the street is a lot.
__________________
2010 Camaro | 11.84@113 1.59 | Stock Internal H/C in 2015
2000 Camaro | 10.00@134 1.38 | 348, 150 shot sold
1998 Formula | 9.40@145 1.35 | 348, 88mm sold
1998 Camaro | 12.1@118 | 150, stock internal sold

LSX RECORD LIST
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
Sweet Cheeks
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,277
Default

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that! I didn't even know they came up that high until I saw the video. It's a weird feeling. PS- The cars very light for a Z.
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:02 PM   #9
9 Second Club
 
badass 2002 z28's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 5
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,303
Default

It's not uncommon for a car to yank the wheels on the street. I've seen a handfull that can do it. Even know of the car locally that'll pull the wheels a good foot off the ground on Asphalt!
__________________
Officially the Fastest street driven LS1 in St.louis
badass 2002 z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:22 PM   #10
Insurance Expert
 
Trader Rating: 53
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 7,735
Default

dear john, i'm not being a jerk..as i said, if you are a A4 on a slick then ok. i just wanted to be sure the thread is legite, so enough of that.

M6's can do ok, low 1.5's on a 26" dot tires ain't too bad don't ya think
__________________
98 WS6 6 speed street car
2014 VW GLI Autobahn
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 03:27 PM   #11
Sweet Cheeks
 
Damage Inc.'s Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 7
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,277
Default

I'm on a 26" DOT M&H tire.
Damage Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #12
12 Second Club
 
bad2000ss's Avatar
 
Trader Rating: 6
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost
lee just gave you some good info. you want your power moving the car forward, not up. pulling the tires up in the air and plopping em back down while not moving forward worth a crap does nothing other than look cool. i'm sure you've seen cars at the track that do that. the cars that pulle the tires and still sixty foot well are ones that CARRY the tires, not just hop em in the air and back down again, that is wasted motion, just be sure you are moving forward, that is the goal.
That statement makes a lot of sense. Although everyone in this thread probably has a bunch more horespower than I do I experienced the same thing. On 26" ET Streets at 11psi I would pick the front end up about 6-8" plop it down and it was only good for a 1.7x 60' time. I added a pound and a half of air, only picked the front left up 2" and was able to 60' in the 1.6x range.

Wheel stands are cool no doubt, but if you don't have the horsepower to pull you forward, wheel stands aren't going to do you any favors.

__________________
2000 Camaro SS A3 Carbed Project Car
Stock Short Block, Stock Heads, 231/237, Mike's TH400, Spohn/BMR Suspension, QA1/Comp Shocks, Moser 12-Bolt, 28X10's
2000 Silverado 1500 WT 5.3 The Beater
2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Duramax Allison 4X4 My Luxury Vehicle
bad2000ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird




Paid Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



Join Ls1Tech

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Service - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - JOBS
Emails & Contact Details