Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is getting slower...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car is getting slower...any ideas?

Went to the track tonight and didn't like the results.

Alright so here's the story...

I don't go to the track that much at all. I think I went 3 times total this year. The first time, was my best trip ever. I was running consistant high 105 to low 106 MPH runs.

So I go to the track a few months later. Now its the middle of summer and hotter than ****. I only run low 103's, maybe some high 102's I can't remember exactly. I blame the heat.

Which brings me to tonight. The weather was fantastic tonight, there was actually a little nip in the air. And Im still hitting anywhere from high 102 to mid 103 MPH on my runs.

During this time absolutely no mods were done to the car, as far as i can tell nothing has changed. Any idea what might be causing me to lose these mile per hours?

Any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: My car is getting slower...any ideas?

Let's see your timeslip or post the times. I'm guessing your short times were worse on your low mph runs.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

I just went through the same problem and I don't know how many miles you have on your car but I have fifty thousand on mine. I take my car to the track, probably about every other weekend and I couldn't understand how my car all of a sudden went from running high twelves to mid thirteens with the work I just had done it should be running better not worse. Well guess what me and my buddy who works for a pontiac dealership took a look into the motor and found out I had bent pushrods and bad valvesprings. The valves were floating after 3500 rpm's. So I would have that checked. All they have to check is the vacuum. Also maybe change your plugs if you never have, that could also be the problem.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:32 PM
Teching In

My short times, if you mean 60 foot times were consistant 2.2x's. Yeah I know everyone, I suck. But the point is they hardly varied at all, not enough to cause this loss of MPH.

In responce to 98_WS6, my car has about 42k on the clock. How does one go about testing for some of the issues you mentioned, short of a motor teardown?

Josh
(Yetizod)

I know the post was originated by Josh Johnson, Im the same guy just on my work computer. I couldn't remember my login password at home so I just made up a new account.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well what about breaking in the engine. When the car is new usally its very tight, usally dosn;t get slower. Not sure. Heat yea one thing. But still automatic? Stick? your shifting different points? Tires cold, warmed up not hooking up. Number of possiablities. What about any mods or work you have done. The engine could have problems.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Teching In

My mods are in Sig... and like I said, we're talking about going from running consistant...as in run after run after run of high 105-low 106 MPH to high 102 low 103. My shifting being in a manual is never going to perfect and is always going to be a slight variation from race to race. But the difference in shift points is never THAT wide to cause this kind of difference. I'd estimate that from one race to another the biggest difference in shift points would be at the VERY most a 75 RPM's either way, I think im fairly consistant in that regard.

Josh