Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone make carbon fiber ?

Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does anyone make carbon fiber ?

Does anyone make carbon fiber rear hatch ? I know VFN makes a pin on Fiberglass hatch but then you would need lexan glass too. I'm talking about a hatch that is ALL CF including the glass area. I can't see out the back window anyway lol I don't have a rear view mirror

Carbon fiber doors? T-tops? Fenders ? 1/4 panels ? In combination with lexan front and side windows the weight reduction would be an aweful lot and would make my ET's much better. AHHH now the ET statement may have made this thread legal in the drag racing section
Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Motorboater

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer
AHHH now the ET statement may have made this thread legal in the drag racing section
hmmmmm.

~must control move thread finger~

ack!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Colonel has some stuff like that on his car. You should PM him about it.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
hmmmmm.

~must control move thread finger~

ack!

Old 08-05-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KingCrapBox
I think Colonel has some stuff like that on his car. You should PM him about it.
Feedback would be nice
Old 08-05-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, sorry. The only lightweight panel I have is the fiberglass hood...and it's not even a pin-on. I still have all the stock glass too. However, I'd certainly like to lose a couple hundred lbs. 2800 just ain't gonna get it!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have been lookin for lightweight 3rd gen too. seems like all that is out there are the types of panels they use on prostock cars. i don't mind fabbing up the mounting brackets, but they are all extended rocker designs, so it woudln't look anywhere close to stock.
i did find a place in california that will do set ups and make panels even on a one off basis, but it is rather pricey.

later
tim
Old 08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

I'm going to work on some CF replacement parts this winter (I think it's easier to work the stuff in the cold). The first part I am going after is the Hatch glass. Then I'm going to look into replacing the T-top glass. I don't need to see out of either of those so I figured I'd see how much weight I could save from the deal. No guarantees anything great will happen but I don't see why I can't get this to work well.

I don't have the capabilities to do complex molds at this time (space and money for the most part) but things like glass are fairly easy for me to work with at this point.

Due to the lack of an autoclave (not enough time,money,space to build one) I cannot make load bearing CF parts so I am limited to non structural parts.

I'm hoping to post up a good amount of progress this winter.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:56 AM
SSU Moderator

PM Fabricator. he does fiberglass/CF work. I'm sure anyone could make a hatch or t-tops or anything given enough time and money.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Colonel can you post come pics of your car I want to see how the interior/exterior looks with a 2800 pounds raceweight

Carbon fiber would be very expensive I would think!!
Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Make the back hatch solid CF and just have someone paint what the stock interior looks like where the back glass would be. Sneaky!
Old 08-06-2004, 11:09 AM
8 second mod

I know its out there, ive seen it on cars, i also know it doesnt fit real well, but im no help because i dont know were to get it. sorry
Old 08-06-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

"Colonel can you post come pics of your car I want to see how the interior/exterior looks with a 2800 pounds raceweight"

There were some underhood pics along with a couple of interior pics posted here not long back. Basically, the exterior is plain jane stock looking (plus Welds, slicks, and skinnies of course) and the interior has a 10 point roll cage, a bigass tach, a B&M Hammer shifter/console, a cheapass plastic driver's seat (to be upgraded), some cheapass lightweight carpet (which will be replaced with something more factory looking) and no passenger's seat. Other than that, there's not much to see. All of the panels and dash are stock.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom, I had a guy in Canada make me carbon fiber panels, hood, and doors for the Purple LT1 car we used to have. The hood was 4 lbs and was a boly on piece. The doors where 25 lbs with power windows. The doors didnt work out because the windows wouldnt stay in the door over 70 mph.

Jim Vanderbeck was the guys name. I will have to find his number.

225-343-9029
Old 08-06-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
"Colonel can you post come pics of your car I want to see how the interior/exterior looks with a 2800 pounds raceweight"

There were some underhood pics along with a couple of interior pics posted here not long back. Basically, the exterior is plain jane stock looking (plus Welds, slicks, and skinnies of course) and the interior has a 10 point roll cage, a bigass tach, a B&M Hammer shifter/console, a cheapass plastic driver's seat (to be upgraded), some cheapass lightweight carpet (which will be replaced with something more factory looking) and no passenger's seat. Other than that, there's not much to see. All of the panels and dash are stock.
Any radio in the car? Does the dash look stock? Heater controls etc?

All interior panels are in the car? (sail panels, headliner etc?)

Old 08-06-2004, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

The hatch by itself weighs 37#'s and so does the glass. Talking with some guys who don't sell to the public but do CF panels for prototype / show cars for GM, Ford, and Chrysler, molds would be in the $1000 to $1500 per mold...with EACH style of hatch being only 1 common mold...the underside base. The Formula, T/A high wing, Camaro, and SS all would need separate middle surround and then spoiler molds.

Each part would probably be in the $1500-$2000 range AFTER the molds are paid off...plus, high lead time...and those are not shipped prices These would look 99% stock and would be thick gel-coated to take paint nicely.

So, even if the molds are paid off by Mr. Deep Pockets somewhere or with a combo of guys, with the average guy not painting his own, you'd be out $2000 - $2700 for a 25# max. savings over the rear.

As **** as I am about weight savings, I quickly grew cold after doing MUCH research on this very topic. That said, someone could do a nice looking, but not dead stock looking part for much less especially if you did not mind pinning it on.

What I may do is a flat carbon fiber Firebird hood that uses the stock hinges but pins on. That would be much cheaper and easier to do and would save 30#'s over the nose!

Oh, well, it's only money. Why don't we all just loose our 20#'s that our wives, doctors, and girlfriends tell us we need to lose...maybe even more than 20#'s!

Take care. Dave
Old 08-06-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Madman

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Tom, I had a guy in Canada make me carbon fiber panels, hood, and doors for the Purple LT1 car we used to have. The hood was 4 lbs and was a boly on piece. The doors where 25 lbs with power windows. The doors didnt work out because the windows wouldnt stay in the door over 70 mph.

Jim Vanderbeck was the guys name. I will have to find his number.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

VFN has the ability to make carbon fiber parts. I believe they made fenders and a hood for Ronnie. PM them.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

"Any radio in the car? Yes.Does the dash look stock? Yes.Heater controls etc? Yes."

"All interior panels are in the car? (sail panels, headliner etc?) Yes, yes, and yes!"
Old 08-06-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
"Any radio in the car? Yes.Does the dash look stock? Yes.Heater controls etc? Yes."

"All interior panels are in the car? (sail panels, headliner etc?) Yes, yes, and yes!"
and it weighs 2800 pounds?

Can I have your secret please (PM me if you like hehe)

Search this Thread