Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea for consistent tire warm-ups.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Idea for consistent tire warm-ups.

A digital tire temperature gauge.

I know the Vette’s have a tire temp gauge on their dash but us F-body owners don’t. I’ve been hearing that maximum tire grip comes at a specific temperature, wouldn’t it be nice to heat your tires up to that specific temperature every time, never over? One less thing to worry about when you know you are going to get maximum efficiency out of your tires so you can concentrate more on other things. Does anyone have this type of gauge, and is it dynamic in the sense that it will update the temperature to the gauge as quickly as the tires heat up or do you need to wait for the temperature to register through the thermostat.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Idea for consistent tire warm-ups.

'Vettes have a tire pressure readout for each tire, not a tire temperature readout (someone please correct me if I somehow missed that feature on my 'Vette.)

Even if they did I don't think it would be that good for drag racing. It would tell you internal temp and you really need to know surface temp. Some folks use a laser temp monitor. Just point at the tire and hit the trigger.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Idea for consistent tire warm-ups.

If you have a crewmember that can get you a readout every pass, great! I'm not that fortunate, so I count to 3 every time and try to keep the revs the same and found that usually works. Or wait until you feel the motor start to bog back down when the tires grip in the burnout and then give it a little more gas and come out, and do that consistently every time.
There are a few different methods, but ultimately looks for the consistency in your 60 foots and get a pattern based on what you do on those runs for burnouts.

Just my $.02

Derek