Search

Drag Racing Tech
Rules | Safety | Setups | Hardware | Methods
Sponsored by
Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center
Click Here

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 10-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
9 Second Club NA
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 180
Default Passenger airbag removal how to?

I was going over the weight reduction list trying to decide on what else I need to remove to lighten up the car. I want to keep the a/c and not give my car a gutted/stripped look. So a lot of the interior pieces Im keeping. Anyhow, Id like to take the passenger side airbag out since I hardly drive the car on the street anyway, muchless have a person with me. So I could use the weight reduction. Besides how to do it, when I remove it, is there going to be a big hole there or will the dash portion still be in tact? I think Ive read when you remove the driver's side that you either have to get the Billingsley piece or aftermarket steering wheel, otherwise youll have a hole there. If theres no how to's out there, can someone give me step by step instructions on the easiest/fastest way to do it? Thanks a lot.
Dragaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
10 Second Club
2011 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 13
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke

You can leave the dash intact, but it has to come off to get to the airbag module.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
9 Second Club NA
Garage is empty, add now

So the dash has to come out for me to remove the airbag, but the visible portion that is the same color as the interior will stay? How does the dash come out?
Old 10-10-2004, 11:07 PM   #4
Cam Only Director
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to SMOKIN01TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
So the dash has to come out for me to remove the airbag, but the visible portion that is the same color as the interior will stay? How does the dash come out?
visible part stays in tact, dash is self explanitory, just start pullin screws
1st Place Thunder 2003 SS/M
2nd Place Thunder 2004 Q/S
1st Place Year One Challenge 2005 S/S
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/862...02000112mb.jpg
SMOKIN01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
9 Second Club NA
Garage is empty, add now

I dont wanna take off anything that isnt necessary, so where do I start? Also, do I have to disarm it or anything, or is it fine to just remove it? I dont want it to go off while uninstalling it.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Cam Only Director
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 10
Send a message via AIM to SMOKIN01TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeaSSt
I dont wanna take off anything that isnt necessary, so where do I start? Also, do I have to disarm it or anything, or is it fine to just remove it? I dont want it to go off while uninstalling it.
90% of the screws are necessary, use a nut driver and it goes alot faster cause they all the same size mostly. pull the top dash pannel off by the windshield and youll see like 5 or 6 across the top of the dash holding it to the firewall, there is a bracket in each lower corner behind teh kick pannels one in the center of the floor in front of the console, you have to loosen the steering wheel support so it almost hangs free, take out the glove box and reach up and disconect the air bag and about a million other snap conectors and then slide teh dash out the passenger side door. piece of cake if you pay attention.
1st Place Thunder 2003 SS/M
2nd Place Thunder 2004 Q/S
1st Place Year One Challenge 2005 S/S
http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/862...02000112mb.jpg
SMOKIN01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 PM   #7
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

Sorry for posting in an old topic, but I did want you guys to know that I at least searched for the info before asking the question. I have read lots of threads discussing passenger airbag removal and all answers point to "remove the dash". What is it about the passenger side airbag that makes it impossible to remove with the dash in place? Are there bolts that you cannot get to with the dash in place or is removing the dash necessary for the actual removal? Also, are there any members with pics of the passenger airbag assembly (good enough to determine bolt locations of the bracket itself)? If nothing else, I'm gonna find a wrecked Camaro at a pick-n-pull and play with it's dash and blown airbag module to find out how to pull it. However, if you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
thor2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:11 AM   #8
10 Second Club
2011 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 13
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor2015
Sorry for posting in an old topic, but I did want you guys to know that I at least searched for the info before asking the question. I have read lots of threads discussing passenger airbag removal and all answers point to "remove the dash". What is it about the passenger side airbag that makes it impossible to remove with the dash in place? Are there bolts that you cannot get to with the dash in place or is removing the dash necessary for the actual removal? Also, are there any members with pics of the passenger airbag assembly (good enough to determine bolt locations of the bracket itself)? If nothing else, I'm gonna find a wrecked Camaro at a pick-n-pull and play with it's dash and blown airbag module to find out how to pull it. However, if you guys can help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The bag and bracket are physically too big to move out in one piece with the dash in place. I want to say 16"x10"x8" or so
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:39 AM   #9
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 69
Send a message via AIM to chpmnsws6

yea, its a HOSS
if you get a pm from a potential buyer where it is difficult to read (spelling, grammar) then you may want to skip that person and go to the next. As you can now see it can be a reflection of the mindset of the person who has contacted you.
chpmnsws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:39 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2004, 2011, airbag, camaro, dash, delete, ls1, na, passanger, passenger, removal, remove, removing, saturn, side, trans