Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harlan Two Step Set Up and Operation...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harlan Two Step Set Up and Operation...

The original topic was in "Forced Induction" but figured this section would get more veteran drag racers input...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/192554-how-f-do-you-hook-up-2step.html

Sorry to be redundant administrators!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

bump!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a switch in my ashtray for the activation (see pic). The deactivation wire is spliced into the ground I believe on the clutch switch (the one at the top of the pedal travel).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...12324923LHgvjT

Here's what I do:
1) heat tires
2) pull up, activate 2 step
3) stage car
4) wait for first yellow to drop; try to push gas pedal thru the floor pan
5) on last yellow, dump clutch
6) hold on.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastWS6
I have a switch in my ashtray for the activation (see pic). The deactivation wire is spliced into the ground I believe on the clutch switch (the one at the top of the pedal travel).

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...12324923LHgvjT

Here's what I do:
1) heat tires
2) pull up, activate 2 step
3) stage car
4) wait for first yellow to drop; try to push gas pedal thru the floor pan
5) on last yellow, dump clutch
6) hold on.

Hope that helps.
Yes thanks, big help. Is the button in your ashtray a momentary-on button? Meaning it's only on when you are holding it down? I'm at work and a filter is not allowing me to see your pic.

So, to activate 2 step, do I push and hold the "ashtray" button first, then press clutch in?

And then let go of ashtray button once the clutch is pressed?
Old 10-15-2004, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Here is what I did over the weekend. I will test at the track this Sunday.

I used the hatch release button to Arm the 2 Step. White wire spices into the multicolored wire and then a ground. (it only worked as a hatch release about 10% of the time anyway.)

Grey wire is mounted to a momentary switch on the clutch pedal. I made a U shaped bracket and mounted that to the clutch pedal. It is normally closed but open when the button is down. Then a ground wire.

Process is this:
1. Do burnout and stage.
2. Put clutch on the floor.
3. Press hatch release button.
4. On frist yellow, Put gass pedal to the floor
5 On second yellow, Dump clutch.

At least that is the thought process for now.

I was not aware that there is a switch for the clutch already there that I can tap into. Can someone tell me where this is and what wire to tap? Could be a better solution than the home engeneered clutch pedal switch I have now.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

1fastWS6, nice set up in the ashtray with the line lock too.

Steve, I like your idea as well, no added buttons to mess with. Using the hatch button-->clever. Problem with me is that my remote barely works opening the rear hatch. So if I wire the activation wire to my hatch button, and my remote doesn't work, so much for opening the hatch huh?

So you CAN activate the system with the clutch pressed down? I was wrong then, I thought you could only activate when the clutch pedal is up. Now this all sounds much easier, press clutch to floor, push the button, dump clutch and go?! And all you do is press the hatch button once and release, and that's it?

It's much better than to have to hold it down while pre-staging/staging.

Correct me if I'm wrong and thanks for your input guys. Install is hopefully this weekend.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Steve, on the 99+ cars you can use the factory clutch swith that feeds into the PCM. I wanna say its pin 32, gray wire, don't rememebr off have wich connector it's on though. Will have to did.

Tom, on the 98's there's no easy existing switch you can simply tap into.

you can activate the 2 step w/ the clutch up or down, don't matter. It will operate a little different depending on where the clutch is though.

If you have the clutch up, the 2 step will turn off when you let go of your button.

If you have the clutch down, more importantly have the clutch switch open, and press your button the 2 step will STAY ON until you release the clutch and close the clutch switch. No need to hold the button.

When I had the 6 speed, i would hold the button while i was staging. Bumping the clutch to stage. Once fully staged w/ the clutch pedal in, you can release the button. Gas to the floor, dump the clutch

I tied an LED to the yellow output on the 2 step, that way I knew for sure it was on, and I got it right.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

For the 98's I found an easy way. Just go thru the cruise control button on top of the clutch pedal. I put a momentary switch on the shifter.

Pre-staged, Staged, press in the clutch, press momentary switch once (on the shifter), floored it on 1st yellow, release clutch on 2nd yellow and off you go.

The cruise control switch works perfect for the 2-step in that when clutch is pressed in the ground switch is "connected" and "open" when clutch is released.

David
Old 10-15-2004, 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks Harlan, If you could get the pin that wouldbe great. Is it the same wire pack as the shift light taps into? Also id I wire it off the PCM would it still work the same as I have now?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2khawk
...Tom, on the 98's there's no easy existing switch you can simply tap into...
Gotcha. My mechanic said he wanted to splice into the wire that's connected to the clutch, the one that prevents one from starting the ignition without pressing the clutch in.

The downfall to this is that the saftey feature will be disabled, and I will be able to turn the motor over without pressing the clutch in. I really don't care about that, I've been driving stick for decades.

Does this sound right?

If not, I will copy Navy David SS' idea with the cruise control hook up. Then I can hook up the hatch switch for the momentary, and use the cruise control switch for activation on/off. This way, no extra buttons or contact switches, and everything looks factory stock.

Thanks you guys

Last edited by 1ScrudeDude; 10-15-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

The Two Step is in!

Works too! I'll post pics of where I mounted the box this weekend. I haven't track tested it yet, but this device HAS to help with 60' times.

Good job Matt Harlan. Part of me doesn't want to tell many others about this (to give me an edge over 03 and 04 higher HP Cobras who can't launch,) especially if you like races from a dig!