Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulls to the left on launch!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default UPDATE: Pulls to the left on launch! FIXED!

First off my suspension mod list:
  • 1998 Camaro Z28
  • 3000 Race Weight
  • KTRE 12-Bolt
  • Richmond 4.33 Gears
  • Eaton Posi Unit
  • BMR Tubular K-Member
  • BMR Subframe Connectors
  • BMR TH400 Mount
  • BMR X-Treme TQ-Arm
  • HAL QA1 FT Shocks
  • Eibach LT1 FT Drag Springs
  • Lakewood RR Drag Shocks
  • Stock '98 Rear Springs
  • Stock LCAs and PHR
  • No Relocation Brackets
  • Wolfe Anti-Roll Bar
  • Madman Manual Rack
  • Centerline Convo Pros
  • 15x3 F - 15x10 R
  • M/T ET Drags (28x11.5x15)
  • Jupiter 165x15 tires F
  • Track conditions: 40-45 degrees, DA = 2200', Elevation = 2710'
Now the problem description:
We took out the Z28 again to try and do a complete pass and possibly get some great logs in to further tune it, but no luck. I have been fighting this issue for a while now, upon launch the car pulls to the left. Once down the track it is straight! I adjusted the roll bar, but I am not sure if it needs more preload. At first it was not hooking at all, so I adjusted the pinion angle to get more bite, it worked! I also noticed that running 10psi also helped on the launch, I normally do not run that low a psi at this track (LACR), but it was exceptionally slippery last night. I have the HALs set to the lowest setting, btw how do you verify that they are on the lowest setting? I am just going off of what the person I bought them from said they were set at, is the **** suppose to stop at the maximum/minimum setting? The only thing I can think of that would cause this is either: non-matching tire diameters, I need LCAs/RLBs, further adjust alignment, or the anti-roll bar needs some serious tuning. I'll post the video tonight of a few passes so you guys can see what is happening, as well as pictures of the last settings on my suspension (ie: wolfe anti-roll bar, BMR TQ arm, rear suspension). The car still managed to run 11.6s @ 116 +/- on very high 1.5 to low 1.60 60's. Any input is greatly appreciated and I would like to tune it for the Hangover Nationals at LACR on New Year's weekend. Thanks!

Last edited by 12secSS; 01-06-2005 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Update of fix
Old 12-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Motorboater

anytime my car was doing that all i did was add some pre load on the anti roll bar to the side that it was pulling to.

so if the car was pulling left, add some pre load to the left side and it should straighten it back out.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

12secSS, I fond sometimes when I left the line the car will want to jerk to the left, but usually it means that I wasn't lined up strait or had the wheel turned just after I staged. I take a little extra time now to make sure the car is dead strait before I prestage.

12secSS, I don't mean to Hijack your thread but I had a question about preloading the rear sway. How exactly is this done? We are going to be dropping down the rear end to pull the spring cups and readjust the shocks, might as well set the sway bar correctly. I was about to start a new thread about this issue but hopefully we can kill two birds with one stone.

Ross
Old 12-27-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys! I will see about preloading the left some more. I also took out my RR airbag, even though it was deflatted, I think the rear was sitting on the bag, causing a sway to the left condition.

Ross, I'll make sure to line her up straight next time out, I was kind of thinking that as well. I removed the rear spring cups yesterday, and set the anti-roll bar to neutral. If it ever stops raining here, I plan to adjust it at the Hangover Nationals.

Here are the pictures and videos of the suspension:

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4
Old 12-27-2004, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you running a Posi?
I would switch to a spool to eliminate that variable.

Check all the welds on your sway bar to make sure it isn't broken/cracked.

It looks like the left side is preloaded more than the right.
I would redo it so it is even, then adjust only the right(passenger)side as needed.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed your tieing your car down on the trailer by means of the left side Anti-rollbar mount... WHY???????????

Ummmmmm, I'd go to another location like the rear axle housing. Re check the swaybar for bent mount or broken welds as stated above.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

George call me I might be able to shed some light.

225-343-9029
Old 12-27-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I probably don't have 1/2 the suspension experience as all you guys, but have you string-measured the front to rear wheel centers? Sounds to me like the rear could be "cocked' to one side just a tad....Just a thought. My Friend's 10 sec. Nova was jumpin to the right on launches and after we string measured the front to rear wheel centers on both sides, we found a 5/8" difference....Straightened that out and "bang". The car launched arrow straight once again.... WJ

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 12-27-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Dont most people leave the anti roll bar in neutral????
Old 12-28-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

01-Z, We purchased the 12-bolt with the Eaton, but I am going to get rid of it, replace it with a spool. The welds are not cracked/broken on the anti-roll bar, so that is good. Per Brian's (aka: MADMAN) recommendation, I reset the roll-bar to neutral and will be scaling on a four corner soon.

Hotrodhawk, Why there, cause that ****** ain't moving! Seriously, it was late and cold and I just tied it up quick ... notice I only used one strap. Usually I use two per axle.

MADMAN, Thanks Brian! I see why the TX boys like you so much, you need to relocate to the west. I will check those weight for you and bias the load on the passenger's side by 10-15lbs. Thanks!

WJ SOM SS, I am going to look at that as well, I am ordering some adjustable LCAs and PHR to help alleviate this if needed.

Krazy98Z28, It is because when the car launches, the RR will always sink lower than the LR ... you want to compensate for that unwanted shift in weight.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
anytime my car was doing that all i did was add some pre load on the anti roll bar to the side that it was pulling to.

so if the car was pulling left, add some pre load to the left side and it should straighten it back out.
You are incorrect. If its pulling to the left he needs to shorten the end link on that side, taking away some preload. Or lenghten the opposite side a 1/2 turn and see what that does. either way you do it woudl be curing the problem. Also make sure both tires are the same PSI on launch, both control arms are the same length? Has the car been wrecked? If so, check your wheelbase on both sides. One side of the car's wheelbase could be longer then the other causing the same problem and the sway bar cant really fix that.

Mike
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure the rear-end housing cover bolts aren't hitting the panhard support.

My car tried to take out the christmas tree when it did that.

You can clearence it, or remove it.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Junkie

V6 Bird, I am going to check the wheelbase from each side and compare. I don't think it has been wrecked, no evidence of repairs from the underside. I altered the PSI to see if it would help with the pull, can't say it helped or hindered. I am going to check for tire diameter and see if one is taller than the other.

John, yeah, it is hitting the PHR. I ordered a BMR adjustable one so that 'should' cure that problem.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 12secSS
John, yeah, it is hitting the PHR. I ordered a BMR adjustable one so that 'should' cure that problem.
Not just the panhard bar, also check the support brace too

My panhard bar cleared.. the support didn't.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Will bet your wheelbase is off a little, one side to the other.....Either use real good string, or pull measure tape real tight w/2 people....rear is "cocked" to one side just a bit....Let us know and good luck. WJ
Old 12-28-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Will bet your wheelbase is off a little, one side to the other.....Either use real good string, or pull measure tape real tight w/2 people....rear is "cocked" to one side just a bit....Let us know and good luck. WJ
I would be careful about how you deal with this. If you were to measure the wheelbase, and find that it is off, You need to check both the front and rear suspension to see if they are square in the car.

Daren
Old 12-29-2004, 06:00 AM
9 Second Club

You still have the stock control arms and panhard bar.
Any chance they could be flexing during launch causing you to pull to the one side?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GIZMO
I would be careful about how you deal with this. If you were to measure the wheelbase, and find that it is off, You need to check both the front and rear suspension to see if they are square in the car.

Daren
Thanks for the info, you make a good point.

Originally Posted by tektrans
You still have the stock control arms and panhard bar.
Any chance they could be flexing during launch causing you to pull to the one side?
Yes, I still have the OE LCAs and PHR. I am also thinking that is a possibility, those will be replaced with BMR adjustable pieces very soon. Although for the moment I will leave them at the stock OE length.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I would call Madman and I would get aftermarket LCA's too.

He gave us some great advice on front alignment and it made a huge difference on my car and Magnus' car.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

John, I called up Brian and he helped me tremedously. I just need to find a four corner scale near me to verify the weight distribution. I am heading his words of wisdom.

Quick Reply: Pulls to the left on launch!