Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is RR airbag needed after 1" sway bar install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is RR airbag needed after 1" sway bar install?

Putting on the spohn 25mm. any benefits leaving the bag in?
Old 03-04-2005, 06:52 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would ditch the air bag especially with your power level. The bigger anti roll bar will help quite a bit and you can preload the right side to balance out the launch. The air bag would likely hurt your launch if you had the power to slam the air bag and create a bounce from the right rear. I fought that gremilin for quite a while. The air bag is gone and the anti roll bar and shocks do the rest. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 PM
9 Second Club

Exactly! Never mix a thick aftermarket anti roll bar with an air bag. On my car, it cause a left swerve condition that could have been very dangerous. We got rid of it and the car launches straight on a Wolfe anti roll bar.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TXCAMSS & Jenibella, you cant preload the 25mm (1") Spohn swaybar. Its not the race version youre thinking of. Its the one right below it.

JaSSoN, if you had a anti-roll bar, then I would say ditch it, but youre still using a stock style sway bar, so keep it. Not sure how much it will help as every car is different, but I too run the same swaybar with the airbag and I leave straight. There squatting in the right rear is minimal now. Couldnt tell you any gains as I didnt log any befores and afters, but it definately helped it from squatting so much on one side.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually you can preload or unload the rear bar. I had the 21mm BMR with the poly bushings prior to going to the Extreme drag bar. I just used a 1 inch piece of 1/4 inch pipe in place of the 1/4 spacer that comes with the sway bar on the drivers side. This gives a slight unload and then I used a piece of 1/4 pipe that was about 4 1/4 inches long on the passengers side. It's a trial and error tuning process, but my car launched straight and even at the H/C power level (408 rwhp) with a hard hitting ST3500. The air bag caused me to slap to hard on the bag and it bounced the right rear up and caused me to spin consistently. The traction issues were solved once I deflated the bag and properly loaded the rear bar. The 1LE bar is also a good option. I hope this helps.

The pic attached is with the preloaded (shimmed) 21mm BMR bar. No noise trade offs. The passengers side sits about a 1/2 higher when on flat ground, but you have to measure it with a tape to even know it.
Attached Thumbnails Is RR airbag needed after 1" sway bar install?-sheliasup.jpg  
Old 03-05-2005, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the info. I like the spacer thing.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

ditch the bag, i have my extreme drag set on a neutral preload just like a stock on would be and i leave straigh as a arrow with no bag. i was all over the place with the stock one. you dont need the bag anymore.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

TXCAMSS, technically you can, but nothing in the swaybar kit allows you to do this. As you stated, its a trial an error thing and its something you have to fab up yourself. Nothing to it, so I really woudnt even call it fabbing it up.

Anyhow, as I stated, I have the Spohn 25mm swaybar with the airbag and I leave straight. The best 60 ft. I've pulled is a 1.46.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Dragaholic, what psi do you have your air bag set at? I have mine set somewhere around 7-9 psi.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

15 lbs. When my car starts leaving crooked, then I'll upgrade to the Wolfe anti-roll bar and ditch the bag. So far no problems with the current setup.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks, I'll experiment next time I'm at the track. I'm not quite at the power level to need something more exotic right now.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Actually you can preload or unload the rear bar. I had the 21mm BMR with the poly bushings prior to going to the Extreme drag bar. I just used a 1 inch piece of 1/4 inch pipe in place of the 1/4 spacer that comes with the sway bar on the drivers side. This gives a slight unload and then I used a piece of 1/4 pipe that was about 4 1/4 inches long on the passengers side. It's a trial and error tuning process, but my car launched straight and even at the H/C power level (408 rwhp) with a hard hitting ST3500. The air bag caused me to slap to hard on the bag and it bounced the right rear up and caused me to spin consistently. The traction issues were solved once I deflated the bag and properly loaded the rear bar. The 1LE bar is also a good option. I hope this helps.

The pic attached is with the preloaded (shimmed) 21mm BMR bar. No noise trade offs. The passengers side sits about a 1/2 higher when on flat ground, but you have to measure it with a tape to even know it.

All I wanna know is who is the blonde girl in the background of that picture!?! haha, ok back on track here!
Old 03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
All I wanna know is who is the blonde girl in the background of that picture!?! haha, ok back on track here!
LOL, I was thinking the same thing looking at that pic. Kept saying to myself "is there supposed to be a car somewhere in this pic too?"