Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I be faster or slower this year?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I be faster or slower this year?

I just finished a heads cam swap today...

OLD COMBO-Comp cam single pattern 222/.563/112lsa w/XE lobes and Patriot stage II 5.7 heads, milled .050 (11-1 compression).

I was having some oil consumption problems w/these heads (I suspect valve guides) and due to the oil contamination effectively reducing octane, I was only seeing 20-22 degrees of timing on auto tap logs. Even so the car would run in the 11.30 to 11.40 range @ 3400# in average air. Best pass was 11.17 in slightly negitave DA @ 3300#.

NEW COMBO-LG Motorsports G5X2 cam (232/240 .59x/.60x 112lsa) and stock heads unmilled (10.1-1). Should be able to run 30 degrees of timing.

So what do you think? Small cam w/substandard ported heads or Big cam with stock heads?

Personally I think I will be 1/10th or 2 faster. My goal is 10.9 w/stock heads. I know I would need some KILLER air to reach that goal.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im gonna say about the same as last year,let me know when your heading out ill come watch.what year heads did you put back on ,your old ones.is the car ready too run, or do you need tires or anything ? i had my roll bar powder coated,but i have not put it back in yet,im too dam lazy.nhraformula00 my sons logged on forgot
Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Sounds good bro. I like LG stuff, but Allan knows his stuff. We'll see how the new cam performs.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:07 PM
dug
Banned

I think your old setup would be faster. I dunno. It should be interesting.

I was more curious about how much power you would have picked up if you had my cam instead of the 222.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

what year heads did you put back on ,your old ones.
They are not my old ones, I gave thoes away. They had some damage in one of the combustion chambers from something getting in there, about two years ago, when I had the LS6 intake put on(sponsor shop). There is also a few small knicks in the pistons but nothing serious.

The heads I'm using are off a '98 Vette that were pulled with about 5k on them they have been sitting around for a few years. I just changed the springs and seals and slapped them on.

Sounds good bro. I like LG stuff, but Allan knows his stuff. We'll see how the new cam performs.
I bought this cam used from someone local who has broken a few records w/it , so at least I got that going for me.

I was more curious about how much power you would have picked up if you had my cam instead of the 222.
Believe me so would I. When I get the heads back from being repaired I still wouldn't be able to use them due to the milling. I just don't have the cash for another set of ported heads, so I went with what I have.

Driving around today SOTP felt very similar to before but with a little more top end pull and that's with the old shiftpoints (6300-6400). I still think it will go alittle faster.