Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woohoo! The dash is finally out. What all can be removed?

Old 03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Woohoo! The dash is finally out. What all can be removed?

Ok...after much frustration, tugging, pulling, and the numerous screws, I finally managed to get the dash out. What I was wanting to know is what all can be removed? I dont plan on removing the dash ever again until I have to upgrade my roll bar. So while I have the dash out, what can I ditch? Thanks.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:05 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, for starters, you can take out the air ducks, pass air bag, heater box, radio controls and all the sound deading stuff under there.

Coach
Old 03-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coach, does anyone having a wiring diagram with what wires to remove that are associated with the A/C and radio stuff? i'm ditching all that stuff with my car and figured i'd ditch the wires for them also. anyone know?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:19 PM
9 Second Club NA

Wow, the HVAC was one heavy S.O.B.! I ended up taking out that, all the air ducting, and plastic/sound deadening. The radio and controls were already out. Also on this big job, I removed both air bags. There quite a bit of room now on the passenger side of the engine bay. Makes it easy to get to the back spark plug now. I cut out, painted, and riveted a piece of sheet metal to cover up the hole in the firewall. I'm thinking of making a plate as well for the steering wheel until I can afford an aftermarket steering wheel. Tomorrow I begin the reassembling. I hope all goes well.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:14 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by A3Z28
coach, does anyone having a wiring diagram with what wires to remove that are associated with the A/C and radio stuff? i'm ditching all that stuff with my car and figured i'd ditch the wires for them also. anyone know?
We took out the wire harness on the pass side of the car. From the back to the front.

Coach
Old 03-31-2005, 09:19 AM
I ruin the end of films...

Try to get your hands on a GM manual. They have pretty good wiring schematics...if you can understand schematics.

The best thing about having the dash out is that I can run wires into the engine bay wherever I want. Rather than run it through an existing grommet, I can run my coolant and oil pressure wiring through a new hole behind the motor.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Banned

it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the entire wiring harness out of the car and buy one of the basic ones from painless (no a/c radio, cruise etc wires) i'm running a GEN7 setup on the car once it's finished so most of that stuff isn't nessecary anyways...i'm gonna have to get ahold of a manual i guess. hmmm....
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 AM
I ruin the end of films...

I was tempted to do that, but I just can't bring myself to it. Push-button start and a switch panel on the ceiling really takes the street out of "street car".

Maybe on the next car, but not this one.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Banned

mongse, i'm gonna do that, but not on the ceiling, we built a "custom" center console from sheet alum. that houses all the switches.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:24 AM
9 Second Club

There is also a brace above the steering column. If you lower the column down you can get it out. It is another like 4-5lbs. And yes the complete wiring harness on the passenger side of the car can go. It has the controls for the speakers and the amp with the antenna in it. I cut all the wires up front and taped them up. That is the easier way of doing it vs finding out where each one goes and taking it completely out.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't get happy with the clippers!!!!!!! i did that and its owning me in the WORST way
Old 04-02-2005, 11:01 AM
9 Second Club NA

When I went to start it after I got it all back together, the lights would come on, but it wouldnt start. At first I thought it was the battery, but it was doing absolutely nothing. I knew right off the bat that it was something electrical. I noticed that the dome light wasnt on, the red LED alarm light in the dash wasnt blinking and the dinging sound when the door is open was going off. Hrrmm...well I remember a box that was in the HVAC that I thought went with it, well it just rested in there. It ended up being the integrated body control module which was preventing it from starting. If I wouldnt of noticed that box, I would of been trying to figure out what was wrong all night. I didnt cut any wires and everything that I unplugged that went back on was plugged. Other than that, everything went smoothly. To anyone who's thought about doing this, its intimidating at first, but once you start going at it, before you know it, its all out.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mongse
I was tempted to do that, but I just can't bring myself to it. Push-button start and a switch panel on the ceiling really takes the street out of "street car".

Maybe on the next car, but not this one.
I feel the same way. I found a company called Centech in PA. The guy's name is Jim Stafford. His real good at this. He did a harness for me that connects to the factory steering column so I was able to keep my factory ignition switch, wipers, horn, etc... I've got the harness but I don't have it fully installed yet. It's a little intimidating.

Search this Thread