Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible frame twist with rear or mid engine v8 dune buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible frame twist with rear or mid engine v8 dune buggy?

I've got a dune buggy frame that I thought it would be fun to graft a v8 onto. (For the street only). I don't know whether I will make it a mid-engine or rear engine chassis, yet. I may put a th425 fwd tranny and a 455 back there, or a standard th350 and rearend setup. A chassis builder told me today that if I go the 2nd route, I could possibly twist the front of the chassis if I have too much power. Does anybody know if this is true? BTW, he isn't trying to sell me a new chassis or anything. He just told me that if he looks at it and decides it's not strong enough, he either wouldn't do it or would want to put something lighter and less powerful on it. Has anybody heard of this happening to a frame? He said he's seen full length dragster get twisted out front. How could this happen?
Also, he said it would be nearly impossible to get traction with a big block, because of my light weight. I don't understand why it would be so hard with my vehicle when lighter race cars get great traction.
If I used the fwd setup welded to the back of my frame, would I have truly serious traction issues? A lot worse that a mid engine setup? Wheel hop? Suspension geometries could be a problem, because of the unequal length driveshafts. Could airbags stop suspension travel enough to make up for that?
Thanks, Don.

Quick Reply: possible frame twist with rear or mid engine v8 dune buggy?