Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a lightweight steering wheel, need help.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:50 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need a lightweight steering wheel, need help.

I'm tired of looking at my stock steering wheel with wires coming out of it. Looking to remove a few pounds while clean it up a bit. I was wondering what's a nice steering wheel to go with. Looking for one that is nice in appearance as well as light. Need suggestions on brand, size, where to purchase, and any other items I'll need to change wheels. Is this a hard procedure? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sparco makes some nice wheels. You can use the Momo GM adapter for a Sparco wheel. Grant also makes some nice ones as well. They all bolt on with a adapter. There are numerous places to get either of these.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Motorboater

can you PLEASE use the damned search feature already, this topic has been covered about 400 times in the last two months alone in much detail.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

With the most recent topic, seems to be a toss up between Sparco, Grant, and Momo. The only sponsor I've run into so far is Thunder Racing who sells the Momo wheels. Any of the sponsors sell Grant or Sparco? Would like to explore my options as far as appearance goes before I make my purchase. Are all these different brands and style of wheels going to weigh about the same?
Old 04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
The Bull

They are all going to weigh fairly close. Sparco typically makes the wheels for race cars only and focuses on making them light and functional. The downside to the Sparco wheel is that it uses a 6 bolt pattern instead of a 5. Therefore, if you try to use a quick release hub, the adapters will not work for the 6 bolt, and you'll have to machine your own adapter plate.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cheap Grant $42 one is what i have.... same as dopefed's
Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

What's the purpose of a quick release hub? Who and where can I get one at?

Where is everyone getting your wheels at and which one are you using? Thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange sells an SFI approved hub with the quick-disconnect feature. The quick-release hub will let you take the steering wheel off of the steering column. It's designed for a race-car, but I guess you could use it in a street car.

www.jerrybickel.com has them for sale on their website.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
The Bull

Don't get a quick release hub that's a hex nut. The wheel is two sloppy. Make sure that you get one with the splines on it instead. Technically it's not legal to run an aftermarket wheel unless it has an airbag and it also is not legal to have a quick release hub on the street either.

I purchased my wheel from a Sparco dealer and my hub from Jerry Bickel. You can also get them from Vanishing Point Race Cars as well as numerous other places.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

Ok...I understand the quick release feature, but what would you need it to release for? I've never needed my steering wheel off in the past and I've had it for over 3 years now. I mean...if there is need for it, I'll get it, but if not, I'll just get a standard hub/adapter.

This isnt a street car. Are you saying its not legal for track purposes or street use because this isnt driven on the street hardly ever.

I'm not sure what brand I'm gonna go with, its probably a matter of appearance since they're all virtually the same weight.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I ruin the end of films...

It comes in handy if you have a 25.x cage in the car or if you're a big guy trying to fit in a small place (like me).
Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Ok...I understand the quick release feature, but what would you need it to release for? I've never needed my steering wheel off in the past and I've had it for over 3 years now. I mean...if there is need for it, I'll get it, but if not, I'll just get a standard hub/adapter.

This isnt a street car. Are you saying its not legal for track purposes or street use because this isnt driven on the street hardly ever.

I'm not sure what brand I'm gonna go with, its probably a matter of appearance since they're all virtually the same weight.
They were designed for cars with X-Bars in the door and a funny car cage. You'd have to be a very tiny person to get out of the car if you couldn't take the steering wheel off. It just makes everything easier.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:09 PM
9 Second Club NA

I went through all 22 pages of Grant wheels on Summit's site and these are the wheels that I would consider. 650, 660, 701, 710, 763, and 771. I personally like 650 and 660 because the spokes are spread out more evenly as opposed to them being lined up like a T. I also like them because they're aluminum instead of steel. In the notes on both of them, states that they're incredibly strong and lightweight. The only difference between the 650 and 660 is one has finger grips and the other one doesnt. I'm thinking of going with the one without, what do you think? As far as appearance, do ya'll like it? Is there any need for the horn button because neither one of them have it? Price is very reasonable as well, $53.95 and $60.69.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Go to www.chassisengineering.com and buy their kit. It's very nice, and very reasonable as far as price goes!
Old 04-14-2005, 12:10 PM
9 Second Club NA

The only thing I found on Chassis Engineering's site is the quick disconnect Wilwood steering hub, Strange Engineering hub SFI approved. Not sure why there's a big difference in price. ($28.95 vs. $115.50) The only other item they had there was an adapter which adapts 5 bolt patter wheels to a 3 bolt hub/quick disconnect assembly.

As I was going through Summit's site, I actually found one I really like, but wanted to get everyone's opinion. Its a 3 bolt pattern compared to the 5 bolt which is what most of your run I assume. Is there anything wrong with a 3 bolt pattern? I wouldn think so as long as I got the correct quick disconnect hub. I talked to Grant again and they said that the GRT-3021 and the GRT-3001 are the same as far as what it fits (36 spline GM) the only difference is one is for a 5 bolt pattern wheel (3021) and the other is for a 3 bolt pattern wheel (3021).
Old 04-14-2005, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try Isotta steering wheels. I dont have one yet but they look good for the price, they have one model that is cut away on the top and bottom (less wheel, less weight) good for going in a straight line.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club NA

These are the 2 wheels I'm torn between. The first one is the GRT-650 which is what I'm leaning towards and the 2nd one is the GRT-770. Both are aluminum. The one on the left is a 3 bolt pattern and the one on the right is a 5 bolt pattern. Wanted to see what you thought. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Need a lightweight steering wheel, need help.-grt-650.jpg   Need a lightweight steering wheel, need help.-grt-771.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a lightweight steering wheel, need help.