Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project car suggestions....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Question Project car suggestions....

O.K., here goes. I'm happy with the way that my car is running now, and am at the point where I don't wanna start hacking and chopping it and end up turning it into a race car.. so I think that I am gonna start looking for a 2nd car at the end of this summer to turn in to a track only car... and keep the car I have now ( 01 ws-6 ) for cruise nights, street use, etc. etc.

I'm thinking about starting off with a hardtop V6 firebird, or something along those lines, preferrably with a blown motor, a million miles on it, something that is basicially worthless... so when I start chopping it up to turn it into a ULTRA light track only car, I won't feel like I'm cutting a car up that's still worth something.

I'm looking to build the full chassis, no corners cut, and go for MAX lightweight, as I want to buy a new ls1 crate motor, and go after the N/A SI ls1 record.... not a easy task I am sure, but I figure that with a TH400, a 30 inch tire and appropriate gearing, a car that's in the 2500 lb range ( if that's even possible ) should have a fair shot. After I've maxed that out, I'll start stepping up the power, but I figure this would be a good place to start if I wanna race the car, and should be a good way to start learning the chassis. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do exactly what your'e talking about, th400 with a HUGE STALL 4500+, 9" spool, wolfe torque arm and sway bar (wolfe sway bar is the most worthwhile suspension mod ever), profab kmember and a arms, profab panhard bar and lcas...should run pretty damn good.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking a 4500 to 4800 stall, as it would keep the stock motor right at it's peak. I'm thinking that a TH350 might be a better idea, as I know that they are lighter. I'd just go with a glide, but I think that a low HP setup at first is gonna need all 3 gears to pull right, I think that the glide would have a dead spot in the 1/4 somewhere, not enough HP with a factory crate motor.

A 9 inch, alum spool, lightweight gun drilled axles, all a given, along with lightweight brakes, all that stuff. Not sure who's K member and a arms I'll go with, I may opt to go with a strut style front suspension, get rid of the upper a arm and do coilovers, really go all out, just have to see what I can get the car to weight wise with the stock k member and a arms first, then figure out the weight of all the options, and go from there. If I can get the car to 2500 or less and keep the stock style front suspension, I will, but if not, it's coming out.