Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys think the DS-2 is safe for street duty 1 time a week?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You guys think the DS-2 is safe for street duty 1 time a week?

I would have to drive about 40 miles each way roughly one time a week to the fun spot, other than that it would be track duty. You guys think this is safe or should I just go radial?
Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am sure you COULD run them, But I wouldnt they would wear out really fast, I am sure they wouldnt handle very good because the sidewalls are so soft. I would just get a pair of radials
Old 04-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with Btl Fed. I run them on my car (race only) and think they would wear out very fast on the street. If you were to hit any kind of water you would be in big trouble.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:33 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto!

Coach
Old 04-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree... I wouldn't run those on the street. I have a set of sportsman fronts on my skinny rims... but when the e.t.streets that I have now are shot, I'm looking to go to the mt radial, and get a set of radials for the front at the same time.

I don't even care for the way my car is with the sportsman fronts and the e.t. streets on the street, never mind something like a ds2 If it's a race car only, adn you are looking to save weight.. that tire would be great... but not for street use.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I know its not WISE to drive them alot on the street,BUT I have been driving on my ET fronts mounted on Bogarts to work and about a few times for about 2 months now. Hell I even drove it to the Thunder car show(35 mile round trip) at 85 MPH on the interstate.

They handle pretty darn decent for being "racing" tires and not really scary in the rain,yea I drove it the rain a few times(gotta get home at 1:30 in the morning) Its a street car! just runs 9's

But really Mike,40 miles one way is putting a lot on them at one time. If you want to do that,get some metrics or Sportsmans.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Futral Motorsports. The DS2 tires have such an advantage to use over the other bias ply tires i.e. MTT-1573... due to the design. Some folks use the VW tires, but that is a tire I won't recommend due to the speed rating of them.

They (DS2) will not react as crisp on the street as a couterpart MT ET tire, but that is to be expected. As a comparison, when you're purchasing a tire that is an all season tire, it is not optimized for either winter or summer...you get an ok response all around...but a specific summer tire and specific winter tire will work better for the intended task. Same applies for the DS2 tire, it will perform better at the track, which is what it is intended for.

Examining the DS2 from a weight standpoint, the tires are so much lighter then the rest. Using the DS2 tire, your instantly loosing 14 lbs of rotational weight from the front of your car from say the MT ET tire.

I'm surprized as how tires are debated so much on here. I've always considered tires as a consumable. I suggest not sticking to any one particular style or design so you can see what you prefer best and what works best for you. Once you tried a variety of styles, stick with what works best.

The fronts aren't too expensive, nor are the rears...so experiment. I think if you get a season out of any tire, that is more then expected.

Keep in mind, when your using a non DOT legal tire, you may be breaking the law using a tire that is not meant for the street so check your locality before using them.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Junkie

hmm thanks for the replies guys, I guess Ill stick with the extra weight and get some radials then. Hard choices...
Old 04-23-2005, 03:24 AM
9 Second Club

My cars a weekend car and I drive it to and from the track on DS-2's. They handle "ok" on the street and they're not that bad in the rain. I don't see a problem driving with them on the street cept that they do wear...
Old 04-23-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put 3000mi on a set of et fronts last year,they are not that bad.Closest track is
109 miles away.By the way they weigh 12lbs ea in 27.5 dia.I would like to know
an exact weight of a ds2 if they save 14lbs I doubt it.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:45 PM
FormerVendor

The DS2 is 10-11 lbs depending on which diameter you choose. I believe the weights are acurate. An ET street is ~12 lbs as you mentioned.

Both are very good tires, I prefer the DS2's though...just a personal preference.

You can't go wrong with either one honestly.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

but we were not talking abou the ET fronts right? We are talking about the ET radial

part number 1573* 26X7.50-15 8 PLY weight 19

This is right off of MT's website,

Thats mainly what I mean, do I get the radial vs the drag tire for that 1 time a week trip that is 80 miles total.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Mike,

I meant ET drag not street, my mistake...I meant to say the MT ET drag is similar to the DS2 though I prefer the DS2.

THe 1573 ET street is not a radial, it is a bias ply tire. There is a difference. The 1573 weighs about 19 lbs each tire...almost twice as much as a DS2.

I PM'd you awhile ago...did you receive my message? Shoot me an e-mail if you need additional help.

Don't fret on this too much, pick a tire, then the next time you need another set, be certain to pick another brand/style . You won't know what your missing unless you really try a variety. At ~100/tire, it's not going to break the bank. You should get a season out of just about any front runner.

For me at least, the characteristics of the drag runners outweigh any negative handling benifits. Remember w/skinny tires, and rear similar tires, your not going to have a great handling car no matter what you choose. The tires/rims are meant for drag racing not corner hugging

Steve
Old 04-23-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steve10
Mike,

I meant ET drag not street, my mistake...I meant to say the MT ET drag is similar to the DS2 though I prefer the DS2.

THe 1573 ET street is not a radial, it is a bias ply tire. There is a difference. The 1573 weighs about 19 lbs each tire...almost twice as much as a DS2.

I PM'd you awhile ago...did you receive my message? Shoot me an e-mail if you need additional help.

Don't fret on this too much, pick a tire, then the next time you need another set, be certain to pick another brand/style . You won't know what your missing unless you really try a variety. At ~100/tire, it's not going to break the bank. You should get a season out of just about any front runner.

For me at least, the characteristics of the drag runners outweigh any negative handling benifits. Remember w/skinny tires, and rear similar tires, your not going to have a great handling car no matter what you choose. The tires/rims are meant for drag racing not corner hugging

Steve

I'm not worried about handling, I just don't want a blowout when traveling on the interstate, my main goal is weight savings but if a ds-2 cannot be driven on the street safely then I won't get one. Yes I did get your pm's and emails, just need a few more days to work everyhing out and will be submitting my order for the d 10s
Old 04-27-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I just blew out an ET 8-ply sportsman front on the street a couple of weeks back. Actually, the tread just kinda peeled away on one section but the tire remained inflated and ran on the inner radials/belts. In any case it kinda sucked cause the car got pretty squirelly at the 140mph I was doing at the time. I actually managed to get it home 35 miles driving on the belts. I was pretty worried about ruining my bogart, the tire may be cheap but the rims wasnt.

Anyhow I got DS-2s now, and they are significantly lighter than the ET fronts. They do have some tread, Im thinking if I could go 35 miles on belts I could probably make it to the track (about 40 miles for me too) on the DS-2s. My other option is to change all 4 tires at the track, that seems like a bit of a pain, but I guess Im getting pretty quick at it now.

I think I got about 5k miles on the street on the ET fronts -- I got lazy and kept driving them on the street if I knew I was going back to the track. Really they drive ok in a straight line, but the cars is so much more fun with regular front tires I wont be doing that again (thus the Ds-2 choice).
Old 04-28-2005, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

I've been driving my Moroso DS-2's (26 x 4.5 x 15) 53 miles one way to the track for about 6 months now without a problem. Probably 1000 miles or so. They show no significant wear. I do not take corners fast or drive over 70 mph on the freeway.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Magnus' DS2's are much lighter than my ET Fronts.

I would just be very careful on the street, and my disclaimer is that we as a site are not reccomending you run non-DOT's on the street.

I have gone 45 miles on ET Fronts, the car was fine, just a little wandery.