Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In bracket racing which is better F.I. or Carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default In bracket racing which is better F.I. or Carb

I bracket race my car and I have thought about going carburated. I would like to keep my LS1 engine though.

Do the carbs have any advantage over Fuel Injection as far as consistancy goes.

As you probely know that in bracket racing consistancy is a key point to winning races.

I notice most the better racers have carbs but there are some with fuel injection doing well even winning points championship but the cars that run more consistant seem the be the carb. cars.
Would this help me or just leave me no better off.
As far as the speed peformance I don't mind a small loss or gain if I can have a constant car.

I would like to see my numbers vary only slightly and be predictable. I have the car running sometimes Ok and sometimes it goes all over the place when most others are running on a predictable drop or rise in ET.

If anyone has anymore suggestions on something else to gain consistancy please reply.

I will be getting a 12 bolt spool soon as I just broke my 10 bolt. sad to spend the money and glad at the same time to get rid of the posi. but sucks to be down for a while.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

If you dont drive it except to bracket race the choice is clear. 12 bolt or 9 inch with SPOOL.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DietCoke
If you dont drive it except to bracket race the choice is clear. 12 bolt or 9 inch with SPOOL.
Oh yeah thats for sure what I'm getting!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do pretty good bracket racing with my FI 02 346 LS1 Z/28 Camaro. I don't need a carb to win races.

Coach
Old 04-25-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to do electronics bracket racing, then a carb is your best bet. Currently only carb'ed cars have apporved throttle stops, which with a delay box enable racers to dail their car in at what ever dail in they choose and be very consistant. Carbs are not more consitant than EFI, in fact with varing weather conditions, EFI can be more predictable. First, what class are you thinking of running in? What are the rules for that (those) classes? Answering these question will helps us figure out what would be better to use.

As Coach said, we do just fine without electronics and our EFI setup.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a carb on my bracket car...but would like to go FI. The only reason I have not gone that route yet is that there is not a reliable and affordable kit out there. (I race a 383 SB Chevy) I have been looking at FI for the past few years and have observed many cars running both setups. I feel FI is the best way to go. The problem is that the technology has not trickled down to the bracket classes yet.

At this point a majority of carbed racers are scared of FI. I would not switch to a carb if I were you. You just have to get a lot of seat time and figure out how to dial your car. Start keeping as much data as possible. You need to keep an eye on: weather, track conditions, tire pressure and any other variable you can think of.

-Good Luck
Old 04-25-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FI can be very predictable. Keep a good log of each pass with detailed weather conditions, track info, ET and tune used. After a good # of passes are loged and compared, patterns will emerge allowing for very good et prediction.
With the logging and tunning software that are available to the racer now ET/tunning trends can be easily managed. I use Crew Chief 5.0 in conjuction with my weather station and logging & tunning software...makes ET predictions much easier.
The following users liked this post:
George Goodwin (10-15-2021)
Old 04-25-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Get a tag weather station. My FI car is very consistant.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the response.
I race in my tracks footbrake classes which are footbrake only no Tbrake no electronics No launching with a button off the line lock or anything. Footbrake only.
I races a little the past 6 years just 2 or 3 times a year with my daily drivers mostly to see what they ran and then stayed around for the trophy races so I normally didn't do well but had decent lights but didn't know much about it.
last year I entered the points races and raced 2-3 nights a week. I got my LS1 car going from a 2000 3.8 camaro to a 98 5.7 camaro mid season. I did learn alot last year and have a much better car this year I do have a weather station but would like to look into the crew chief program one of you mentioned. How does it work?

I just ordered my spool 12 bolt today I think that will be a big help because that has gave me problems with one tire not getting a good burnout half the time and pulling the car one way or the other off the line. I was just looking for any other things that might help. I did finish in around 6-7 in points last year and won some nice checks.

I have been taking a lot of notes this year which has helped a lot and won me more rounds but still trying to get the bugs worked out hopefully with the spool that will be the last one for a while and I can start getting it dialed in. Also I trailer this car to the track every week it is my bracket car only so it only races nothing else.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you think gas would affect anything? I run shell 93 in it always. does it help lower the affect of the weather such as a bigger drop in temp doesn't affect E.T. as much to run better gas than I am using.

What gas are most of you running in your bracket cars?
Old 04-26-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandonppr
Thanks for the response.
I did learn alot last year and have a much better car this year I do have a weather station but would like to look into the crew chief program one of you mentioned. How does it work?
I use crew-chief software + crew chief weather station*. I have been using v5.0 but have just upgraded to v6.0. V6.0 looks like it's going to be much easier to use and is more intouch with the ET racer.
You can find out more about Chrew-Chief here http://www.crew-chief.com/

*My weather station is actually by Altronics but it came with the Crew-Chief Package.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-26-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Barry Grant weather system. I run 104 unleaded race gas.

Coach
Old 04-28-2005, 10:29 PM
7 Second Club

I'm on the fence on this subject.

The Formula has run consistent, but can throw an oddball # at times out there, and with no electric water pump and such, can be hard to run at a consistent temperature.

The Nova is pretty consistent, and something that has helped me a bunch is a trans temp gauge. I'd love to run EFI eventually, but cost and tuning are a big factor.

Weather and track conditions are a big factor, and I always check them before dialing, along with wind speed and direction.

Bracket racing is a matter of having fun while keeping decent records to help your predictions be as best a "guess" as possible!

Good luck!

Derek
Old 04-29-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coach 02 A3 Z/28
I use a Barry Grant weather system. I run 104 unleaded race gas.

Coach
Hey Coach, Im curious as to why you run 104 unleaded. Did you have detonation issues? I was running Sunoco 100 unleaded and it slowed my car down. My 02s got real lazy, idled rough at start-up, and lost mph?

Paul

Quick Reply: In bracket racing which is better F.I. or Carb