Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a write-up on how to remove the front bumper support?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone have a write-up on how to remove the front bumper support?

Like it says, anyone got one? I'm gonna pull the front out, probably gonna leave the rear god forbid any retard rearends me since I still drive the car on the street. Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

ttt for ya. I would like to read up on it myself.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

I havn't seen any real write ups but it's pretty simple. I've had my bumper off a few times and you can tear it down in 10 minutes once you figure it out. Basicly crawl under the car and pull all the little bolts/screws holding the plastic undersheilds, while you are under there, there are 3 push clips that connect the bumper cover and some plastic to the bumper support (they are way under in the center), and if I remeber the inner wheel wells are connected to the bumper in the lower corners. Next you have to go up top and pull the headlights, headlight brackets and you can choose to pull the upper support or leave it in, I pulled it the first time to paint it but I think it's easier to leave it in (just has those push clips connecting it to the nose). Once the headlights are out there are a total of 4 nuts/bolts per side connecting the fenders to the nose. The bolt is right in the front, and the 3 nuts are back along the inside edge along the bumper/fender seem. **When you reinstall the 3 nuts along that seem, don't over tighen them or your seem will come out all wavy**. At this point the bumper should be loose, make sure the corners are loose and it should be ready to come off. Grab it front and center, top and bottom, and gently work it off. Try not to flex it because they spider web really easy. Next all you have to do is pull the clips out of the impact foam and then take out the 6 nuts holding the impact bar on. You will need 3 nuts and bolts to recconect the underside of the bumper cover to the plastic sheilding since the push clips went into the bumper support. When reistalling it, it's nice to have an extra set of hands or you can do like me and use some little boxes to support the corners and center of the bumper cover while reinstalling it. Should look like this when everything is out.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 05-09-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
I havn't seen any real write ups but it's pretty simple. I've had my bumper off a few times and you can tear it down in 10 minutes once you figure it out. Basicly crawl under the car and pull all the little bolts/screws holding the plastic undersheilds, while you are under there, there are 3 push clips that connect the bumper cover and some plastic to the bumper support (they are way under in the center), and if I remeber the inner wheel wells are connected to the bumper in the lower corners. Next you have to go up top and pull the headlights, headlight brackets and you can choose to pull the upper support or leave it in, I pulled it the first time to paint it but I think it's easier to leave it in (just has those push clips connecting it to the nose). Once the headlights are out there are a total of 4 nuts/bolts per side connecting the fenders to the nose. The bolt is right in the front, and the 3 nuts are back along the inside edge along the bumper/fender seem. **When you reinstall the 3 nuts along that seem, don't over tighen them or your seem will come out all wavy**. At this point the bumper should be loose, make sure the corners are loose and it should be ready to come off. Grab it front and center, top and bottom, and gently work it off. Try not to flex it because they spider web really easy. Next all you have to do is pull the clips out of the impact foam and then take out the 6 nuts holding the impact bar on. You will need 3 nuts and bolts to recconect the underside of the bumper cover to the plastic sheilding since the push clips went into the bumper support. When reistalling it, it's nice to have an extra set of hands or you can do like me and use some little boxes to support the corners and center of the bumper cover while reinstalling it. Should look like this when everything is out.

Cool man, thanks a lot, gonna give it a try over the weekend and see what I can do, will post up on here if I run into any problems and need help!

PS - I like ur tranny cooler mount, good stuff!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace that front bumper with an intercooler...
The following users liked this post:
Averrett (02-02-2020)
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to GM Muscle for the instructions on removing the front bumper cover. I managed to get the cover and bumper support off with no major snags!

Took bout me bout an hour to complete the !front bumper support!. There goes at least 20lbs.

VFN pin on and Odyssey Light Weight Battery Next!

I should be around 3220lbs a when done. If I could hit 3118lbs corvette weight it be awesome.

But I'm not ready to loose a/c or radio.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a write-up on how to remove the front bumper support?