Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinion Angle Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Pinion Angle Help

Just fitted new BMR rear LCA's etc.I have put angle meter on drive shaft and its at 0, then on lower arm of Torque arm( its adjustable) and the needle moved 2.5* to the right looking from the passenger side of car. Does the mean the angle is minus or plus 2.5*? Looking for -2 to -2.5* for racing only.
Any help much appreciated thanks. Al
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ALZ28
Just fitted new BMR rear LCA's etc.I have put angle meter on drive shaft and its at 0, then on lower arm of Torque arm( its adjustable) and the needle moved 2.5* to the right looking from the passenger side of car. Does the mean the angle is minus or plus 2.5*? Looking for -2 to -2.5* for racing only.
Any help much appreciated thanks. Al
Al,

The desired -2 deg would form a 'V' with the inside of the V measuring 178 degrees. This is the driveshaft vs. the pinion. Measuring the driveshaft, and lower mounting plate of torque arm. (The lower mounting plate - I am told - is parallel with the pinion) All this should be done with the weight on the tires/axle.

Hope this helps, J

Last edited by J 98ta; 05-24-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

This has been beat to death so here is my 2 cents..Madman had a class on setting suspensions up at Thunder's shop last year..Pinion angle was my question and he set me straight on what and how to set it..

I asked about the driveshaft angle and that is where he stopped me at..He asked what I was setting and I told him pinion angle ..He then preceded to put his angle finder on the pinion or where your driveshaft bolts to and that is where he told me you get the angle your trying to set your pinion at...

My 60's dropped almost 6 1/100's that same night after he set the pinion properly over the way I had set it using the driveshaft/torque arm setting...
Old 05-24-2005, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by J 98ta
Al,

The desired -2 deg would form a 'V' with the inside of the V measuring 178 degrees. This is the driveshaft vs. the pinion. Measuring the driveshaft, and lower mounting plate of torque arm. (The lower mounting plate - I am told - is parallel with the pinion) All this should be done with the weight on the tires/axle.

Hope this helps, J
Thanks J
So if I put the angle meter on the mount plate not the arm and check against driveshaft should the needle be 2* to the left or right of 0 from passenger side. Or put another way if the prop is level at 0 should the mount plate be angled down towards the floor to give me -2*?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by So Slow
This has been beat to death so here is my 2 cents..Madman had a class on setting suspensions up at Thunder's shop last year..Pinion angle was my question and he set me straight on what and how to set it..

I asked about the driveshaft angle and that is where he stopped me at..He asked what I was setting and I told him pinion angle ..He then preceded to put his angle finder on the pinion or where your driveshaft bolts to and that is where he told me you get the angle your trying to set your pinion at...

My 60's dropped almost 6 1/100's that same night after he set the pinion properly over the way I had set it using the driveshaft/torque arm setting...

I get putting the angle finder on the pinion yoke. But, where are you pulling the reference number?

Are you using the drive shaft for one number and the pinion yoke for the other?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
I get putting the angle finder on the pinion yoke. But, where are you pulling the reference number?

Are you using the drive shaft for one number and the pinion yoke for the other?
We are using just the pinion yoke measurement only..We don't look at the driveshaft measurement at all..
Old 05-24-2005, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ground is your other measurement. The ground is what you are racing on so it becomes the reference.

225-343-9029
Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

OK, I can see that. One last question. Are you assuming the ground is level, or are you pulling a reference angle from the ground?

Just seems to me that to get a negative 2 deg angle there needs to be a point considered zero and one other. Am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Pinion Angle Help