Sponsored by:

Spring compress

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring compress

Hi guys,

I have a question about the coils on a rear coil-over suspension. As you can see from the picture, the purches can be spun to compress the spring or decompress it. It's a 12'' spring compressed to about 10'' wrapped around a 17'' shock as is extended/12'' with no shaft showing. First of all, I think I went with the wrong demensions.... but on to my question.

My question is, what will moving the purches up or down effect when launching at a drap strip?

And if my vocabulary is wrong, I apoligize. I was assuming the "purches" were the bottom holders of the spring that can be spun to compress the spring even more or decompress it.

Any tips/thoughts/ or corrections to the way I'm looking at things would be appreciated.

Kyle

Last edited by SportSide 5.3; 06-07-2005 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm I'm not sure on how its going to effect launching. But raising or lower the spring purches, as I see it, won't effect the launching of the truck neccesarily. It's just going to raise/lower ride height. The thing that compresses the spring is the weight of the truck not the purches.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
Hmm I'm not sure on how its going to effect launching. But raising or lower the spring purches, as I see it, won't effect the launching of the truck neccesarily. It's just going to raise/lower ride height. The thing that compresses the spring is the weight of the truck not the purches.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. Actually, moving the purches down will drop ride height and the spring will stay at the same compressed height because that is how much weight it is holding up. Is that accurate?

Sorry, I was confused.

I think I've seen a thread or two on ride height vs. launch... I didn't know that was what I was really looking at.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SportSide 5.3
Ahh, I see what you are saying. Actually, moving the purches down will drop ride height and the spring will stay at the same compressed height because that is how much weight it is holding up. Is that accurate?

Sorry, I was confused.

I think I've seen a thread or two on ride height vs. launch... I didn't know that was what I was really looking at.

Thanks.

Yep you got it right. Maybe someone else can help you now with the ride height vs. launch aspect of it all
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
However if you adjust the perches on the shock you will effectivly shorten the spring therefore you have more tension in the spring making it easier to bottom out the spring..and if you bottom on the spring on the launch that wouldnt be good..
Old 06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

which shocks do you have???? How much stroke do they have???

If you have a 5" stroke shock then you want 1 3/4 of shaft showing. On a 7" shock you would want around 2.5 to 2 3/4 inches of shaft. It looks to me in the pics you have either too long a spring or too stiff.

225-343-9029
Old 06-07-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MADMAN
which shocks do you have???? How much stroke do they have???

If you have a 5" stroke shock then you want 1 3/4 of shaft showing. On a 7" shock you would want around 2.5 to 2 3/4 inches of shaft. It looks to me in the pics you have either too long a spring or too stiff.
Madman, it's part number DR5855B. It's 11.625 compressed, 17'' extended. The spring is more than likely way too stiff. It's a 300 lb.,12'' spring compressed to 10''. So it only being compressed 2'' lets it hold up 900 lbs on each side. Is that correct? Maybe I ought to try a 200lb. 10'' spring.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need a 175lbs spring for a truck.

225-343-9029