Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

off season mod list...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default off season mod list...

O.K., after making it to the track twice to test out this year's improvments to my car.. ( 12 boltw 4.10's, slicks.skinnies) I'm about ready to start plannign the next wave of mods. Car's running decent for the power I'm making and the weight it's at ( in sig.) and now it's time to do some more chassis mods to make better use of the power.

Here's the list I've come up with so far:

Lightweight aerospace brakes, front and rear ( drag setup ) and removal of the ABS.

Lightweight k member and a arms.. NOt sure which ones I'll go with yet, car still sees a good 2 to 3 K on the street a year.

Mezire elec. water pump, t stat and a fan switch.

Hal shocks, front and rear.

mcloud blowproof bellhousing... I like my feet.. and want them to stay the way they are.... big, atached to my legs, and working

Now, couple questions.. which k member/a arms are most people running that still drive on teh street with limited mileage? What setup is the lightest, and is it strong enough for limited street use? Also, on the HAL shocks, not sure if I wanna go with the 12 way all around, go with the R series on the front, or go with the 24 way all around? I wanna get the setup that's gonna run best at the track, and still be drivable. Keep in mind that I'm rolling around on slicks/skinnies all the time now, and that doesn't bother me one bit, so my tolerance level's pretty good for race orientated things.

I wanna try to keep the a/c in the car for those days when the wife is with me, power sttering will probably stay too for when teh slicks may not be on the car.. although that's rare.

In the end, I'm hoping to free up a little more HP, get about 120 to 150 lbs out of the car, and get the 60 foot's better with the shocks. If anyone has any reccomendations that I may have missed.... lemme know!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:10 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a AJE Racing K-member on my '02 and just now (I mean literally this past weekend) put a Pro-Fab K-member in my '94.

The AJE is definitely fine on the street, but the Pro-Fab has about 10 miles on it (to the alignment shop and back). I am about to drive it down to San Antonio, race, and drive back tomorrow night, so I could let you know. However, I am not anticipating any problems.

Off season? Explain this off season concept to a Texan.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Race your car!

Sounds good. Keep me posted as to how it works out. How was the weight on those 2 k members compared to the others out there ( BMR, PA, etc. )?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Veteran

i drive 40 miles a week on my bmr k-memeber and a-arms with hal r's on the front and 12 way on the rears, skinnies, 325 radials, spool, strange drag brakes. i love it.

TWS, off season is when its so dam hot the car runs like crap and i sweat my butt off wearing a multi layer fire suit baking in the sun just to make a few passes. at that point im done till it cools down a lil
Old 06-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Race your car!

Off season to me is when it's snowing...

I've already run a new personal best this year.. and the car's about maxed out byt eh hp/weight calc, and knowing that the weather is only gonna get worse from here until october.. chances are I"m not gonna do too much better without some more changes ( suspension to get it to hook better ) so I'm not gonna abuse the car senseless for nothing... so in actual, I'm now in my off season until next spring I guess

Keep teh ideas coming guys.. I wanna pull weight.. without the a/c, power steering, radio and the major safety stuff going bye bye... anythign that anyone has found that doesn't include those, lemme know. I need to get about 230 lbs out.. so I can be 200 lighter after I add teh blowproof bell housing.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA

TWS, off season is when its so dam hot the car runs like crap and i sweat my butt off wearing a multi layer fire suit baking in the sun just to make a few passes. at that point im done till it cools down a lil
Sssh. I was trying to make our Northern members jealous. Sad truth is that you are correct. I'm not fast enough to require a fire suit and I still didn't race this weekend due to the extreme heat. Took the wife to lake Travis instead.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a PA Racing Chromemoly K-member and A-arms that I drove daily on. Between 400-500 miles per week. I would also look into doing a lightweight hood.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Race your car!

Good to hear that the PA stuff holds up. What kind of total weight savings did you get by installing that?

Anyone make an aftermarket lightweight hood, that looks like a ram air pontiac hood? I know about the suncoast and the raptor hoods.. but those aren't any lighter then teh factory ram air hood I don;t think.

Keem 'em coming guys.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not really sure how much weight I saved. I do know that the stock k-member is HEAVY, while the PA k-member and a-arms I could pick up with a finger.

VFN makes a lightweight ram air hood.