Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for dragging...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Tires for dragging...

Hello, right now i have some 18x8.5 privat profils and i jsut got new tires the oither day. I got some Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi's, 245/40/18 up front and 265/35/18 in rear (biggest i could go) I am not sure this will be so good for the track considerin the rims are prolly real heavy and i jsut have street tires. I wont go to the track much but when i do, i dont no what to do. I have my stock rims (16" chromes) with no tires on them. Should i get some drag radials on those for strictly track use? However i cant go very wide on those? Also considering i am in MI, we ahve snow. I have not decided if i am oging to winter drive this or not but if i do, ill need some all around tires for my stockers. So what would you suggest i do for tires/or new rims or what to use at the strip?

Also just for clarification... I have stock converter etc right now... I hold the brake and give it gas as high as i can go before the tires break loose correct? Than once i see the last yellow let off the brake and mat the throttle? ALso do this in D (Trans Am, no Overdrive) and with Traction control off, correct? Thanks

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-25-2005, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your launch technique sounds okay. Try varying the RPM, sometimes the converters like to have a little bit of room left to flash up to the stall speed. With a stock converter there isn't much room to work with though.

What I do is run a seperate pair of wheles with ET streets at the track and switch tires on my four stock wheels back and forth with the seasons. (snow tires winter, summer tires/drag radials spring-fall) See what kind of snow tires you could get for your 18" wheels or your stockers. You could put snow tires on the stockers and just switch them in the winter or just when it snows (if that's plausible for you). You could also switch the 18" wheels over to snow tires in the winter and put a pair of drag tires on two of your stockers. Keep an eye on the parts for sale, I think your best bet might be to buy yet another pair of wheels so you can have the four 18"ers with summer tires, the four stockers with snow tires and two other mismatched wheels with race tires.

I bought my 26x10.5x16 ET streets used with only 6 passes on them, already mounted/balanced on a pair of old wheels for $250 from a board member. Met him halfway and picked them up to avoid any shipping. (45 min drive) Works like a charm.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey, well, is it at all possible to switch my rims at the track? Im new. I will have to drive 45 mins to the track. Also if i were to get some new wheels/tires jsut for track, think i should jsut get some drag welds and skinnies or are those not needed or help that much? If i get some diff wheels like stockers with drags, will it be ok to have all seasson tires on the front? Thanks

Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Lots of people swap tires at the track. That's what I do, I don't want the ET streets to pick something up on the road and they aer NOT to be driven in rain. Just bring a jack and lug wrench with you. I have a nice little 2.5 ton jack that is very small/light/weak and works perfectly for throwing in the car to use at the track. Going with welds and running slicks/skinnies is perfectly fine, exactly what I'd like to be able to afford to do right now (well, not those exact wheels). It's not necessary for you at this point as drag radials will be more traction than you can use, but once you get a nice converter in there and some more mods slicks/skinnies would be perfect.

Oh yeah, BTW, I suggest removing the GMAF and putting it back to stock. You can search on the topic if you want, I'll try to dig up my favorite MAF related link.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:59 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hey, well i read the MAF is a hit or miss mod. Either you get a good one and it works right or it jsut hurts you. I bought the car with this on and i have no stock one. What should i do? Also i was thinking.... I should pick up 2 of the WS6 stockers in chrome considering they are wider and run like a 275 or 285 DR in back and than jsut use my 16 stockers with all year tires o nthe front? This sound good? Yea, id feel like an idiot with some nice drag wheels and skinnies and still not break the 13 mark, haha. Well maybe if i can find some 17" WS6 rims and some M/T DR's for them, that will suit me for now and once i get my converter, intake and headers, ill get some skinners and welds. I would however like to pull a nice little wheelie off the line, are skinnies a must for this? I am hoping for a mid 12 second car once i get my stall, shift kit, intake, and headers and than hopefully an 11 after i add a cam. I am jsut unsure if i should fork over some moeny for a different set for now or jsut buy some welds and skinnies and get some M/T's on there to haul to the track. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 06-25-2005, 03:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok i htink i got it figured out. Ill get my winter tires for my stockers, than get some nitto 555r extremes in 255/50/16 and reg nitto 555 in 245/50/18 or any reg tire for up front and just switch those with the winters when the weather turns around. Also ill prolly be able to drive the nittos to the track and back. Thanks for your help. Let me know what you think of this.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Lots of people swap tires at the track. That's what I do,

What do you do with the tires, jack, etc while you are at the track? Is there somewhere to put this stuff?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KajonZ
What do you do with the tires, jack, etc while you are at the track? Is there somewhere to put this stuff?
No. During test and tunes there aren't many people there and the sun is out so I just leave it in a pile in the pit area, or have somebody else drive or meet me there so I can lock stuff up in their car. You can't trust ANYBODY, even fellow racers/car people I guess.

*Rant* At this months street car chaos at US41 I loaded all kinds of stuff into my girlfriend's cavalier and had her drive it. The track workers would NOT let me park her car by mine. No way, no how, I tried. I guess if you want to bring something else it has to be a full blown trailor and tow vehicle. I asked him how it was different than a trailored car and he said that EVERYBODY who came to spectate would want to park their cars in the pits so NOBODY can park a non race car in the pit area. Unless it's to trailor their car in. I had to walk **** back and forth and somebody stole my car duster that I had to leave out. It was only $10 to replace, but ti's the principle of the thing. FOr that and several other reasons I dont plan to ever go to SCC attempting to run again for quite awhile. *Rant off*
Old 06-25-2005, 06:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea i was kinda wondering where i would put the stuff so i guess nittos would prolly be the best bet for me considering i can jsut drive those there and back.